Ben Davis

Reddy

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I just think this is a huge gamble to save a few thousand dollars.

KW can easily be left holding the bag if some team swoops in and thinks they can fix Big Ben and we don't sign AJ...

Then who do we have left?

I don't think losing Ben Davis would make much of a difference in the quest for a championship.

I sure can.

I like Burke, he is a great guy and a good utility player.  If he were so valuable though, why would he have cleared waivers so many times?

They should strive to have the strongest catching corps possible.  That would be Pierzynski, Davis, and a 25th man who can catch and play other positions, i.e. Burke.

I suspect that's what Ozzie wants, seeing as he likes having more flexibility and has stated several times he likes guys who can play multiple positions.

Not to mention Davis is a lot younger, with possible upside.

who gives a crap about 'clearing waivers'

look at ACTUAL numbers. That's whats important

I sure can.

I like Burke, he is a great guy and a good utility player.  If he were so valuable though, why would he have cleared waivers so many times?

They should strive to have the strongest catching corps possible.  That would be Pierzynski, Davis, and a 25th man who can catch and play other positions, i.e. Burke.

I suspect that's what Ozzie wants, seeing as he likes having more flexibility and has stated several times he likes guys who can play multiple positions.

Not to mention Davis is a lot younger, with possible upside.

I agree. There's no way Burke is going to hit .333 every year; I don't know where that's coming from. We need Davis on the team.

Ben Davis couldn't beat out Dan f***ing Wilson last year. Except for a one hot streak, where he was unbelievable, he couldn't hit sour apples on the White Sox either. The hot streak shows he has ability, so he may be worthwhile to keep as a back up. Thinking he could or should be an everyday catcher at this point is crazy, especially if you are expecting to contend.

Why is that?

.207 last year

.237 career

.256 OBP last year

.306 OBP career

No thanks, at least Burke has hit at the ML level before.

We dont need 3 catcher if we have someone capable like AJ.

But Burke still hasn't done it for a full season, perhaps this is the time to find out what he is truly made of.

But Burke still hasn't done it for a full season, perhaps this is the time to find out what he is truly made of.

Yes, but Ben Davis has completely sucked for an entire season.

There is no 2 ways about it, without signing a C from the outside, our situation is a joke.

I just think this is a huge gamble to save a few thousand dollars.

KW can easily be left holding the bag if some team swoops in and thinks they can fix Big Ben and we don't sign AJ...

Then who do we have left?

Everytime we make a move to save a few bucks, I bet JR giggles in a high pitch 13 year old squeal....God I love money, and more of it for me. Yeah!!!!

reinsdorf2.gif

reinsdorf5.gif

In terms of being a back-up, there's no doubt in my mind that Burke is better suited for it than Davis. First, Burke has a very short swing, while Davis has an enormously long swing which is important because if you only play once every 4 days or so, you're not going to be able to maintain a rhythm at the plate. Look at how s***ty Daubach was off the bench because of how long his swing was. Also, Davis is not much of a righty hitter, which is important because if we signed someone like A.J., then we would still need someone who could face the likes of Randy Johnson. Burke is a much better option than Davis at making contact in crucial situations, etc.

Also, I don't think we should keep 3 catchers at all. We have some old guys on our team who aren't exactly speedy. We need to have guys on the bench who can pinch run or bunt in crucial situations.

His sole purpose is catching Contreras and justifying the Garcia deal. :puke

that is a good point, its like we gave up reed and olivo for garcia alone if we dump davis and thats pretty s***ty... but at the same time thats not a reason to keep someone around.

who gives a crap about 'clearing waivers'

look at ACTUAL numbers. That's whats important

Go ahead, look at Burke's numbers if you want. All 10+ years of his minor league career.

Some of you guys see a .333 average in 120 AB's in one year and are ready to annoint this guy as the starting catcher, at age 33 going on 34. Is he the guy who hit .333 in 120 AB's with the Sox, or the guy who hit .231 in similar AB's in Charlotte?

On a championship caliber team, Jamie Burke doesn't even sniff the roster.

If he were so valuable, other teams would've picked him up ... for free ... a long time ago.

I like him, I feel he has a place, and that place is as the 25th man.

Ya know what.. you're right. Get rid of Davis cause he hasn't proven himself yet. And while we're at it.. get rid of that POS Willie "stupid ass I don't know how to steal a base" Harris. I mean.. he's never stolen bases on a regular basis.. so therefor he never will be able to.. :rolly

Go ahead, look at Burke's numbers if you want.  All 10+ years of his minor league career.

Some of you guys see a .333 average in 120 AB's in one year and are ready to annoint this guy as the starting catcher, at age 33 going on 34.  Is he the guy who hit .333 in 120 AB's with the Sox, or the guy who hit .231 in similar AB's in Charlotte?

On a championship caliber team, Jamie Burke doesn't even sniff the roster.

If he were so valuable, other teams would've picked him up ... for free ... a long time ago.

I like him, I feel he has a place, and that place is as the 25th man.

who said starting??? i want him as the backup over Davis. I dont wanna offer Davis a contract in the millions and I want AJ for a starter...

That's anointing him starter... how?