Older Soxfest Threads

southsider2k5

Well, the first-timer is gearing up for Soxfest and needs a little help. ^_^

I'll try to make this as painless as possible.

1. I'll be in attendance on Satuday. What time should I arrive? What should I bring to get autographed? Is it a hassel to bring in multiple things to get autographed?

2. How should one work the autograph lines? I've seen that many of them run at the same time; is this a problem? Do you have to pick and choose who you want to see or is there time to catch two different tables during one session?

3. Ballpark: how many people attend Soxfest at any given time?

4. How much spending money should I bring for Sox goodies? I've heard the garage sale is fantastic.

That's about it. I really appreciate the help. I think I'm going to throw the nametag on if anyone wants to chat. I'm so stoked, thanks again!

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a now five year vet, let me hook you up.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Jan 12, 2005 -> 11:40 AM)
Well, the first-timer is gearing up for Soxfest and needs a little help. ^_^

I'll try to make this as painless as possible.

1.  I'll be in attendance on Satuday.  What time should I arrive?  What should I bring to get autographed?  Is it a hassel to bring in multiple things to get autographed?

It depends on what you bring and how you have it stored. If you are bringing bats, it will get heavy as you are standing in lines on a thin carpet on top of a coolish cement. Wear long sleeves if you plan to get many autographs.

2.  How should one work the autograph lines?  I've seen that many of them run at the same time; is this a problem?  Do you have to pick and choose who you want to see or is there time to catch two different tables during one session?

Make a chart of who you want most, because you will only be able to make it through one line at each time slot. They only take a limited number of people at each line (usually 300-500 people, depends on how many people are signing) and they all fill up. The big names go first. The best thing is to get there a couple of hours early and get in line. Then we you get the signature you want, identify the player in the next time slot you want, and start waiting in line again. Yes, there is a theme here, there is a lot of waiting for autographs.

3.  Ballpark: how many people attend Soxfest at any given time?

I don't have an exact number, but Saturday is the busiest day, and it has to be in the 1000's.

4.  How much spending money should I bring for Sox goodies?  I've heard the garage sale is fantastic.

The tables downstairs are resonable, and if you look you can find good deals. The garage sale on the otherhand is expensive. If you are interested in something from there, bring your credit card.

That's about it.  I really appreciate the help.  I think I'm going to throw the nametag on if anyone wants to chat.  I'm so stoked, thanks again!

Let me know if you have any other questions...

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jan 12, 2005 -> 11:55 AM)
You planning on sticking around for the evening, or are you taking off afterwords?  There will be plenty of beers and good times up at the Atrium bar.

I'll be hanging around for sure. Make sure to keep in touch the next couple days; I'd love to meet up with the gang at the Atrium.

QUOTE(Beastly @ Jan 11, 2005 -> 05:03 PM)
  saturday

10:30 Jermaine Dye, Scott Podsednik First 500 autographs   

1:00 Freddy Garcia, AJ Pierzynski First 500 autographs

I'm going to try and hit both those lines as well.

I'm hoping that I can get to the Dye, Posednik line early so that I can get towards the front of the Garcia, Peirzynski line.

Then I may have time to catch the 1:15 Q&A session...

QUOTE(Soxnbears01 @ Jan 12, 2005 -> 12:12 PM)
I'm more interested in the Q&A sessions and stuff like that than the autographs to tell you the truth.

The seminars rock. Over the years I have become much more interested in them. And I have a feeling the first Q&A will be an SRO event. I can't wait :)

QUOTE(Soxnbears01 @ Jan 12, 2005 -> 06:12 PM)
I'm more interested in the Q&A sessions and stuff like that than the autographs to tell you the truth.

Same here.

If I happen to run into one of the guys, it'd be cool to get a picture with them, but I probably won't be waiting in any lines for autographs...

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jan 12, 2005 -> 01:23 PM)
Same here.

If I happen to run into one of the guys, it'd be cool to get a picture with them, but I probably won't be waiting in any lines for autographs...

when are you getting down there keith?

i'm pretty sure i won't be getting there till saturday afternoon

QUOTE(Soxnbears01 @ Jan 12, 2005 -> 12:12 PM)

Ditto, the seminars are the most fun, imo. There are a couple auto's I want to get but for the most part all seminars.

QUOTE(Soxnbears01 @ Jan 12, 2005 -> 07:37 PM)
when are you getting down there keith?

i'm pretty sure i won't be getting there till saturday afternoon

Same here. I won't be able to go to any of Saturday's festivities, stupid basketball f***ing practice right in the middle of the f***ing day, four to six. I'll be there Sunday, though, and my brother will be there for the first two days.

We're all staying in the same room, correct? I should get there right around 8-ish Saturday night. Hopefully I'll be able to grab a bite to eat with you guys.

Brian, I'll talk to you sometime later tonight or tomorrow, as far as you getting in contact with my brother on Friday night.

I'll be pissed as hell if Iguchi is presented as the Sox newest signing on Saturday, and I'm not there to witness it. I do think, that something new will happen Saturday or Friday or Sunday, sometime during the weekend.

For those of you who are looking to get autographs, I have some advice. Last year, the process was getting a wristband for the autograph line you are in. When you get your wristband, go with the crowd to the line and then sneak out of the line. You can then wait til the end of the signing session and catch the back of the line and not have to wait for long. You can enjoy more of the fest this way while saving time and not having to wait in line for up to an hour.

Trying to figure out the train stuff now.

For any of you that might know....

i guess the 'rock island' metra line goes to the lasalle st. station....?

how far is that from the hotel?

any help really appreciated.

QUOTE(Soxnbears01 @ Jan 12, 2005 -> 08:57 PM)
Trying to figure out the train stuff now.

For any of you that might know....

i guess the 'rock island' metra line goes to the lasalle st. station....?

how far is that from the hotel?

any help really appreciated.

Here's a map. It is probably about a mile and a half from the Metra station to the Hyatt. As cold as it is going to be, I would cab it. Train and cab would still be much cheaper than paying to park for the weekend.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jan 13, 2005 -> 09:06 AM)
Here's a map.  It is probably about a mile and a half from the Metra station to the Hyatt.  As cold as it is going to be, I would cab it.  Train and cab would still be much cheaper than paying to park for the weekend.

I love you :wub: