White Sox exact offer to A.J. Pierzynski...

Jabroni

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(beck72 @ Jan 6, 2005 -> 06:19 AM)
With that $3-8 mill, Iguchi [$2 mill], AJ [$3 mill] and an extension for rowand [$3 mill] could plausibly fit.

I don't think he can sign Iguchi, AJP and Rowand for $8 million total, unless he gives them all substantial guarenteed raises in '06.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Jan 6, 2005 -> 11:13 PM)
From hearing KW and Ozzie talk, they both liked Davis' glove and defense. It was just his stick that was horrible. Coming off the bench, starting occasionally, he'd be fine.

Davis doesn't have any problems there, I'm just worried about his ability to call a game, that's the same problems Miggy Olivo had while he was here.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jan 6, 2005 -> 12:30 PM)
I don't think he can sign Iguchi, AJP and Rowand for $8 million total, unless he gives them all substantial guarenteed raises in '06.

I'm talking about 2005 salaries. What happens in 2006 is another matter, but workable. the sox have few position players locked up [Dye, Uribe, Pods] and have room to get guys under contract. But the first two could fit, [$5 mill total] and Rowand could sign a Uribe type deal, between $2-3 mill for 2005. If the Sox go to ARB w/ Aaron, he could get a raise prob. close to $2 mill.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jan 6, 2005 -> 12:46 PM)
Davis doesn't have any problems there, I'm just worried about his ability to call a game, that's the same problems Miggy Olivo had while he was here.

It's less of a worry being the backup than a fulltime player. Let's hope he's the backup

QUOTE(beck72 @ Jan 6, 2005 -> 06:47 AM)
I'm talking about 2005 salaries. What happens in 2006 is another matter, but workable. the sox have few position players locked up [Dye, Uribe, Pods] and have room to get guys under contract. But the first two could fit, [$5 mill total] and Rowand could sign a Uribe type deal, between $2-3 mill for 2005. If the Sox go to ARB w/ Aaron, he could get a raise prob. close to $2 mill.

I was also talking about 2005 salaries.

Anyone have Officer Ron Karkovice's cell phone number? We could get him real cheap!! :bang

Seriously, if it came down to it, we'll find a way to meet AJ in teh middle...like it has been said, not alot of teams out there need Catchers, but look out for the Dodgers in all of this..

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jan 6, 2005 -> 12:54 PM)
I was also talking about 2005 salaries.

I guess I'm not sure why Aj and Iguchi can't fit this yr, and still give Rowand a raise[i'm going by the numbers in the 'Sox 2005 payroll' thread]. Uribe's deal calls for him to make $2.15 mill in 05, $3.15 in 2006 and $4.15 in 07. Iguchi could get $2 mill a yr for 2 yrs. And AJ might sign a 1 yr deal [the only reported offer was 1 yr $2 mill].

QUOTE(beck72 @ Jan 7, 2005 -> 12:04 AM)
I guess I'm not sure why Aj and Iguchi can't fit this yr, and still give Rowand a raise[i'm going by the numbers in the 'Sox 2005 payroll' thread]. Uribe's deal calls for him to make $2.15 mill in 05, $3.15 in 2006 and $4.15 in 07. Iguchi could get $2 mill a yr for 2 yrs. And AJ might sign a 1 yr deal [the only reported offer was 1 yr $2 mill].

The Sox could always trade someone like Everett to a team like Houston or Tampa Bay if they wanted to clear salary. Something could pick up in that regard after the Beltran sweepstakes.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Jan 6, 2005 -> 11:46 AM)
If they do not offer him the one million more that he wants i am gonna need a very good expanation why. Pierz>>> davis in every single aspect of the game. Getting him eliminates the biggest whole we have on the entire team. If our next biggest whole is willie i will be a very excited person.

Qwerty, i think it goes back to his attitude or else others would be stepping up. Why are no other teams being mentioned or even offering. Something with this guy is not right. i don't know exactly what it is but he is a solid hitter and average behind the plate, it seems teams don't want any part of him. I would correlate it to people on a sales team, good sales person but doesn't care or get along with the team. Now I am purely speculating with this analogy but I think there is somethign to it.

Maybe we are entering the "barring something unforeseen" territory.

KW thought he'd have the team set by this weekend, unless there were snags.

Looks like we've got a couple of snags. Good news on the Iguchi front is, if they can't come to terms, the Sox have Plan B in place it sounds like. If they wanted an answer from Iguchi asap it means they've got another iron on the fire.

That said, identify the guys you want and go get them, within reason. To me, it does not sound like these guys demands are that unreasonable. Nor does the gap seem huge, there should be a way to get both of these deals done, as long as cooler heads and common sense prevail.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jan 6, 2005 -> 02:02 PM)
Maybe we are entering the "barring something unforeseen" territory.

KW thought he'd have the team set by this weekend, unless there were snags.

Looks like we've got a couple of snags.  Good news on the Iguchi front is, if they can't come to terms, the Sox have Plan B in place it sounds like.  If they wanted an answer from Iguchi asap it means they've got another iron on the fire.

That said, identify the guys you want and go get them, within reason.  To me, it does not sound like these guys demands are that unreasonable.  Nor does the gap seem huge, there should be a way to get both of these deals done, as long as cooler heads and common sense prevail.

jim, I still think things will get worked out. If there were teams lining up for these guys I can say spend the extra million. Nobody is lining up or maybe the dodgers are interested but are waiting to see if the D-bakcs deal goes through. We will know that today. If they don't get there catcher they will go after AJ, if they get the catcher they probably won't. I think we will understand all this better today or tommorrow as the deadline ends. In addition, I still beelive we will end up giving AJ 2.5 with an option for next year. (if the dodgers fall out) What other options does htis guy have?

QUOTE(quickman @ Jan 6, 2005 -> 02:24 PM)
jim, I still think things will get worked out. If there were teams lining up for these guys I can say spend the extra million. Nobody is lining up or maybe the dodgers are interested but are waiting to see if the D-bakcs deal goes through. We will know that today. If they don't get there catcher they will go after AJ, if they get the catcher they probably won't. I think we will understand all this better today or tommorrow as the deadline ends. In addition, I still beelive we will end up giving AJ 2.5 with an option for next year. (if the dodgers fall out) What other options does htis guy have?

There were no teams being mentioned for Omar either but that didn't stop one from swooping in and grabbing him from right under KW's nose. I'm not here advocating overpaying for AJ but there's nothing wrong with paying a player what he's worth, esp. when when he fills your biggest need and it still fits in your budget.

QUOTE(upnorthsox @ Jan 6, 2005 -> 02:32 PM)
There were no teams being mentioned for Omar either but that didn't stop one from swooping in and grabbing him from right under KW's nose. I'm not here advocating overpaying for AJ but there's nothing wrong with paying a player what he's worth, esp. when when he fills your biggest need and it still fits in your budget.

I clearly understand your thinking, there were two teams out there that didn't think he was worth what he was suppose to be paid. Both those teams he played for. There is something not right with this guy despite his numbers. I am certain he will play this year, but his stats say he is good and should be paid even more than 3 million, but still nobody rushes in to get him. I still believe we will get him. As I mentioned lets see what the dodgers get first.

The Sox could always trade someone like Everett to a team like Houston or Tampa Bay if they wanted to clear salary. Something could pick up in that regard after the Beltran sweepstakes.

Hold the phone. This is actually a pretty good idea. We can see now that Houston is going to be after a big switch hitting outfielder after they lose Beltran. How about Carla for them??? s***, I will take a little money and a minor leaguer for him, and it would clear alot of payroll for us.

QUOTE(babybearhater @ Jan 6, 2005 -> 09:44 AM)
Hold the phone.  This is actually a pretty good idea.  We can see now that Houston is going to be after a big switch hitting outfielder after they lose Beltran.  How about Carla for them??? s***, I will take a little money and a minor leaguer for him, and it would clear alot of payroll for us.

And then who do we replace him with? Borchard? Let's not forget, he is 33 and has the ability to be up very good major league numbers and is a servicable outfielder. If Thomas is not back until June who is the DH Gload?

I like the one year offer. AJ has some questions in the clubhouse, I bet we could get him by meeting halfway. One year two million with a second year at three to three and a half million, but a 500k buyout. This way if we don't like him he is guaranteed 2.5 million and if we do we get a bit of a bargain on the first year. We could structure the second year so as to give him a million "bonus" or exercise the buyout and reduce the salary for year two by the ammount of "bonus".

Even if we do sign him to a one year deal with an option i will be pissed. We need to sign him for miltiple years. Is there really a reason not to? We know what we are gonna get from him for the most part. Even if he does have problems here i am pretty sure that we will be trade him for something. Even if we have to settle for a salary dump.

When was the last time the Sox were able to pull off a Salary dump in our favor.. The boss doesn't want to waste anymore money than needed.

I say sign him for 2 years and then trade for a C prospect.

QUOTE(P-Pod @ Jan 6, 2005 -> 10:20 AM)
i hope KW gets creative with the offer because i'm not so sure AJ will take a 1 yr. 2 million offer...although ive heard about the possibility of incentives in this post.

takatsuclub.gif

what incentive would we give him, our best hope is to give him a 2 year option