No DJ at Soxfest

Dick Allen

There has been a lot of rumors about Steve Stone taking a postition with the White Sox the last few days. I noticed that all Sox broadcasters will be at Soxfest, except for DJ. This can only fuel speculation. Maybe DJ is on vacation, maybe his wife is having a baby, I don't know, but maybe just maybe............................................................

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jan 8, 2005 -> 12:38 AM)
i dont think we should fire DJ for Stone... be 1 thing if we had 1 spot open for him to sneak into but i dont think firing DJ for Stone is worth it

I like DJ, but a Hawk and Stone combo would be too good for me to personally pass up. However, I see Stone's future in some kind of executive position, probably our next general manager.

QUOTE(SEALgep @ Jan 8, 2005 -> 12:51 AM)
I like DJ, but a Hawk and Stone combo would be too good for me to personally pass up. However, I see Stone's future in some kind of executive position, probably our next general manager.

lol i wouldnt say he would be our next GM after this off season KW just pulled :cheers :cheers but maybe an assistan GM, now that would be sweet... it would be even better if he was the bench coach or something.

I've been real surprised at how highly Steve Stone is thought of on this board. I personaly never could get past the smarmy "I'm Steve Stone and your not" persona he seems to have. I'll admit that because of my dislike for him I've never paid real close attention to his baseball knowledge, but I just can't picture him as a GM. What do you all see that makes you feel Stone is a good/great baseball mind?

QUOTE(SoIL @ Jan 8, 2005 -> 01:24 AM)
I've been real surprised at how highly Steve Stone is thought of on this board. I personaly never could get past the smarmy "I'm Steve Stone and your not" persona he seems to have. I'll admit that because of my dislike for him I've never paid real close attention to his baseball knowledge, but I just can't picture him as a GM. What do you all see that makes you feel Stone is a good/great baseball mind?

Watch him and listen and you will see. He really isn't that smarmy. He is pretty funny and a good, solid baseball guy.

I think if the Sox were to get Stone that they wouldn't just fire DJ. I'm guessing something else is going on. What rumors are going around that Stone will be joining the Sox?

I remember talking specifically about it a couple times, but thats about it.

QUOTE(quickman @ Jan 7, 2005 -> 08:04 PM)
and talked about what? i am sure not the Whitesox.

I didn't hear the interview but I guess he was talking about liking Chicago, and wanting to work here still.

Sounds like a simple comment is being taken too far.

I still want to know who is reporting that DJ will not be at Soxfest, I saw that on WSI, but no source was given.

I actually do not doubt he wants to stay in chicago, and I know from what he said that he and JR are friends, but they just signed DJ to a 5 year contract, and they seem to like him. I jsut have a hard time thinking they would replace DJ. By the way I like Stone alot better than DJ but this just doesn't make sense.

I heard the interview on MJ & H, and his comments DID leave it open to easy speculation that he was in talks with somebody about staying in Chicago. He didn't say in what capacity, but his statement (exactly how it was worded I can't remember now) left it wide open. Mac, Jurko, Harry, and callers all caught it. I would be surprised if the Sox let DJ go, but who knows? It did sound like Stone had talked to somebody in Chicago about stuff. He also never denied it. I wish I could remember what was said exactly. I think they even commented on it during the news breaks that they do on the show.

QUOTE(Mr. Showtime @ Jan 7, 2005 -> 08:06 PM)
I didn't hear the interview but I guess he was talking about liking Chicago, and wanting to work here still.

Sounds like a simple comment is being taken too far.

I still want to know who is reporting that DJ will not be at Soxfest, I saw that on WSI, but no source was given.

On whitesox.com they have what they call the Soxfest final roster. Hawk, Rooney and Farmer are listed, but no DJ. Of course, it really means nothing, he may have personal business to attend to, but it is interesting considering all the talk about Stone.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jan 7, 2005 -> 09:36 PM)
On whitesox.com they have what they call the Soxfest final roster. Hawk, Rooney and Farmer are listed, but no DJ. Of course, it really means nothing, he may have personal business to attend to,  but it is interesting considering all the talk about Stone.

Didn't see that. Very interesting then, because usually he's on stage with Hawk.

I would be thrilled if Stone is our color guy next season although it seems unlikely. I can't listen to DJ and Hawk, i haev to mute the tv and turn the radio, I love Stone and he was pretty much the reason I would watch cub games.

TWO THINGS HOLDING THIS BACK: Stone is fair and says what he thinks honestly although he doesnt do things just to get attention/Hawk never says a bad thing about a sox player,management,etc. which besides is horrible game calling is why i never listened. But the point is, I couldnt imagine these 2 having chemistry with each other. Also, I have seen posts here that DJ signed a 5 year extension, that would in all likelyhood completely nix our chances of getting stone so do u guys have a link for that?