Wilson Valdez

FlaCWS

There's been a lot of talk about getting another middle infielder but I'm wondering if the answer is already here. I haven't seen too much of Valdez, but I know he's supposed to be pretty good both at bat and in the field. You guys have probably seen a lot more of this guy than I have, so I'm curious to hear if anyone thinks he can be a long-term answer, possibly at SS, with Uribe at 2B. What do you think? At the very least, is he considered a favorite to make the opening day roster as a backup at this point?

QUOTE(FlaCWS @ Jan 7, 2005 -> 07:20 PM)
There's been a lot of talk about getting another middle infielder but I'm wondering if the answer is already here. I haven't seen too much of Valdez, but I know he's supposed to be pretty good both at bat and in the field. You guys have probably seen a lot more of this guy than I have, so I'm curious to hear if anyone thinks he can be a long-term answer, possibly at SS, with Uribe at 2B. What do you think? At the very least, is he considered a favorite to make the opening day roster as a backup at this point?

IIRC, I thought I remember reading he is likely to start the season in Charlotte. I wouldn't mind him if he made the roster being as he can play both 2B and SS.

I really would like to see Iguchi signed, but then there is still the back-up SS role.

If he wants to make it as a reserve infielder, he's going to have to hit .260-.270 because he will hardly take a walk to save his life, which will kill his OBP. He's excellent in the field by all reports though, and Ozzie seems to like him. It all depends on whether or not we'll sign Iguchi or Cora though.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jan 7, 2005 -> 09:05 PM)
he seems to be a pretty good hitter just a free swinger... Ozzie really seems to like him though so odds of him making the team are pretty decent.

I think Ozzie sees a bit of him of himself in Valdez. Ozzie wasn't one to watch many pitches go by.

QUOTE(AnthraxFan93 @ Jan 8, 2005 -> 12:19 AM)
IMO, start him in triple-a and when Harris fails, we can bring Valdez up to play. I would like to get him some AB's  and not have him sit on the bench.

I like how you say when he fails, not if he fails.

Valdez remains a solid platoon option... I don't know enough about the guy, and haven't seen him play enough to have formed a solid opinion on him, but his minor league stats seem to indicate that the kid can hit. I don't have access to his minor league splits, and his major league one's lack any significance due to ridiculously small sample size, but I would expect him to be a better hitter vs. LHP than RHP.

I would expect a platoon of WH/WV to put up at least a .725 OPS, which is essentially league average for a second baseman. And their defense would be much more than adequate -- I think that 2B could end up being quite a nice surprise this season.

I like Valdez and I trust Ozzie's evaluation of young talent.

Ozzie was able to watch this guy in the Marlins organization and essentialy aquire him via a salary dump. You can't really ask for more than that.

I love the addition of Wilson Valdez and I believe if Ozzie feels he can handle a year in the bigs, he will start the year on the Southside.

Is he the middle infielder of the future? Maybe. Could he make for one hell of a middle infield platoon with Harris and Cora? You bet your ass he could.

I like this kid.

Valdez was very good defensively last year. I saw him as another gutsy player that can battle pitchers and eventually get a pesky hit off them. If we dont get a 2nd baseman then harris and valdez should be ok for now. If we sign cora then cora and valdez is a much better option.

I think the Tony G comparison is pretty much Valdez, though he can't play the different positions Tony could. IMO, he's like Tony in the fact that he's not an everyday player/ starter. But he won't hurt a team if he's in there for a while in case a starter goes down with an injury.

Valdez could play SS to rest Uribe. And Uribe could then play 3b and 2b to rest Crede. Valdez is a stronger defensively than Tony, though weaker offensively. [though he's turned it around the last 2 yrs in the minors] If the sox bring in a veteran 2b like Iguchi or Durham, then Valdez should have a spot on the 2005 roster

QUOTE(beck72 @ Jan 9, 2005 -> 05:52 AM)
I think the Tony G comparison is pretty much Valdez, though he can't play the different positions Tony could. IMO, he's like Tony in the fact that he's not an everyday player/ starter. But he won't hurt a team if he's in there for a while in case a starter goes down with an injury.

Valdez could play SS to rest Uribe. And Uribe could then play 3b and 2b to rest Crede.  Valdez is a stronger defensively than Tony, though weaker offensively. [though he's turned it around the last 2 yrs in the minors] If the sox bring in a veteran 2b like Iguchi or Durham, then Valdez should have a spot on the 2005 roster

I agree with everything you have said. But, my question is this: For instance the Sox sign Iguchi which I believe is the more likely scenario than Durham.

Then Valdez is more than likely to make this team. I would imagine that Willie would also. So who doesn't?

One more, can Valdez also play 3B or not?

QUOTE(whitesox91403 @ Jan 9, 2005 -> 12:15 PM)
I agree with everything you have said. But, my question is this: For  instance the Sox sign Iguchi which I believe is the more likely scenario than Durham.

Then Valdez is more than likely to make this team.  I would imagine that Willie would also. So who doesn't?

One more, can Valdez also play 3B or not?

If the Sox got Iguchi [who likely couldn't play SS like he did in Japan a few yrs back], they'd have to have Valdez for SS. Uribe could play 2B, and 3b [which Valdez can't]. The Sox wouldn't have a spot for Harris

With reports the Sox are interested in Durham as well, it looks like they want to get rid of Willie, not just put him on the bench