White Sox Trade Material

AddisonStSox

Now that Kenny has devoted himself to the "New Look White Sox," who on the current roster is expendable and proves valuable in the trade market? Whether it was the inability to snag Omar Vizquel, the trade of Carlos Lee, or the surprise signing of El Duque and Pierznski, the future of the White Sox has become painfully obvious. The White Sox we have been accustomed to over the past 2-4 years may no longer fit the dynamic of this ball club.

Who, in your best judgment, is expendable? Do we have players on this roster that would undoubtedly bring a nice return in the trade market? Do we have players on this roster that would qualify as a salary dump?

I ask these questions because I have identified at least two members of the Sox that would best serve this ball club in the trade market.

1. Cliff Politte. I believe with the addition of Dustin Hermanson and Louis Vizcaino and the improvement of both Cotts and Adkins, Politte no longer plays a necessary role in the bullpen of 2005 and beyond. Politte, a right-handed set-up/long reliever has found his match in Dustin Hermanson. Hermanson can set-up, provide long relief, and spot-start. Although you could never have too many strong arms in the bullpen, I believe Politte would best serve this team in a trade for either a middle infielder, a young IF prospect, or a younger arm for the bullpen. If the Sox prove to be contenders in 2005, look for Politte to draw heavy interest around the trade deadline.

2. Willie Harris. I will try to make this claim with no anti-Willie bias. With the addition of a middle infielder on the horizon, does Willie become a necessity in 2005? IMO, he does not. I believe trading Willie Harris could be rather productive for the Sox. Many clubs out there have a need for speedy, rangey middle infielders, and I think many of those clubs would overpay. Why? I don't know. Anyone that has watched Willie play on a day-to-day basis like we have over the past few seasons knows Willie remains one of the biggest question marks on this club. Do we have a legit, everyday starting second baseman or do we have an average glorified pinch-runner? It seems both Ozzie and Kenny don't like Harris and I think he stands just as good a chance as anybody in terms of getting dealt.

Have at it fellas. Who can/should be dealt?

I support the trading of Harris while he still has value.

Pollitte might not be moved.

It just depends on which member of the bullpen wants the biggest raise. Then, THAT player will be traded before he is due $$$.

If Crede has a decent season, he will stay.

But honestly, if he turns it around, he would be great trade bait.

mate, crede, harris, everett, adkins, politte, cotts, diaz and borchard.

obviously not all at the same time. put a combo of the players with a minor leaguer and make a trade for a really good pitching prospect or mlb pit youngster with upside potential.

It's nice to make a list of all of our crappy players and make believe that every other GM in baseball is stupid enough to give us something of value for them.

IMO Willie Harris is one of the best defensive secondbasemen in the game today and he will eventually, like Cora, come around offensively and put up a really solid year. The only problem is that it's no secret that the managment doesn't like his attitude so we wouldn't get anything for him.

Thats the one thing that pisses me off about Ozzie. Yes it's fun to hear him bad mouthing some player we might not like but it also takes away any value that player has. In a dream world I would love to see the sox trade Borchard, Harris, Everett if we could get something for them. However I just can't imagine anyone giving us anything worth s*** for them.

Also IMO Diaz needs to stay with this team. He should be the backup plan incase any of our starters get hurt or we need an extra arm in the pen. Under no circumstances should he be traded unless they offer something very special. I don't want Jason Grilli on this team at all. Diaz>>Grilli

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Jan 8, 2005 -> 01:07 PM)
Now that Kenny has devoted himself to the "New Look White Sox," who on the current roster is expendable and proves valuable in the trade market?  Whether it was the inability to snag Omar Vizquel, the trade of Carlos Lee, or the surprise signing of El Duque and Pierznski, the future of the White Sox has become painfully obvious.  The White Sox we have been accustomed to over the past 2-4 years may no longer fit the dynamic of this ball club.

Who, in your best judgment, is expendable?  Do we have players on this roster that would undoubtedly bring a nice return in the trade market?  Do we have players on this roster that would qualify as a salary dump?

I ask these questions because I have identified at least two members of the Sox that would best serve this ball club in the trade market.

1.  Cliff Politte.  I believe with the addition of Dustin Hermanson and Louis Vizcaino and the improvement of both Cotts and Adkins, Politte no longer plays a necessary role in the bullpen of 2005 and beyond.  Politte, a right-handed set-up/long reliever has found his match in Dustin Hermanson.  Hermanson can set-up, provide long relief, and spot-start.  Although you could never have too many strong arms in the bullpen, I believe Politte would best serve this team in a trade for either a middle infielder, a young IF prospect, or a younger arm for the bullpen.  If the Sox prove to be contenders in 2005, look for Politte to draw heavy interest around the trade deadline.

2.  Willie Harris.  I will try to make this claim with no anti-Willie bias.  With the addition of a middle infielder on the horizon, does Willie become a necessity in 2005?  IMO, he does not.  I believe trading Willie Harris could be rather productive for the Sox.  Many clubs out there have a need for speedy, rangey middle infielders, and I think many of those clubs would overpay.  Why?  I don't know.  Anyone that has watched Willie play on a day-to-day basis like we have over the past few seasons knows Willie remains one of the biggest question marks on this club.  Do we have a legit, everyday starting second baseman or do we have an average glorified pinch-runner?  It seems both Ozzie and Kenny don't like Harris and I think he stands just as good a chance as anybody in terms of getting dealt.

Have at it fellas.  Who can/should be dealt?

Nobody wants worthless Harris he has NO trade value at all.

Harris and Politte would be who id try to trade. The loss of either one of them wouldnt really hurt the sox. We have a crowded bullpen and id in fact be happier having jbaj or munoz be on the team than politte. Harris still has value.

I think it's more likely Adkins would be dealt before Politte but of course it would depend on the return.

Id definetely would rather have adkins dealt, he cant handle pressure situations, even 7th and 8th inning situations.

He would muster up a good era and ozzie would put him as a setup and hed fail, this happened a couple of times and shows his mental attitude, i dont want guys like that on our team and we could get value in return, however i doubt KW would want to trade him, its almost a matter of pride in the fact that he traded durham for him.

QUOTE(chisox05 @ Jan 9, 2005 -> 04:29 AM)
however i doubt KW would want to trade him, its almost a matter of pride in the fact that he traded durham for him.

are you sure you got the right trade,

we got cotts from oak

diaz from sfo

adkin from????

if i am mistaken, i am say sorry right away. i got a little mixed up

QUOTE(LDF @ Jan 8, 2005 -> 10:37 PM)
are you sure you got the right trade,

we got cotts from oak

diaz from sfo

adkin from????

if i am mistaken, i am say sorry right away. i got a little mixed up

We got adkins from Oakland in 2002. The trade was Ray durham to oakland for Adkins. It was done right at the trade deadline.

QUOTE(Chisoxmatt @ Jan 8, 2005 -> 11:19 PM)
We got adkins from Oakland in 2002.  The trade was Ray durham to oakland for  Adkins.  It was done right at the trade deadline.

Didn't we get Adkins from SF for Lofton? I could very well be wrong on this. My memory isn't what it used to be. :)

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jan 9, 2005 -> 05:38 AM)
Didn't we get Adkins from SF for Lofton?  I could very well be wrong on this.  My memory isn't what it used to be. :)

i know remember the trade, it was ray to oak for adkins and a ptbnl who wounded up being cotts.

diaz came from sfo for lofton

QUOTE(LDF @ Jan 8, 2005 -> 11:53 PM)
i know remember the  trade, it was ray to oak for adkins and a ptbnl who wounded up being cotts.

diaz came from sfo for lofton

2002: Ray for Adkins and $

2002: Lofton for Diaz and Meaux

2003: Mark Johnson, Keith Foulke, Joe Valentine for Billy Koch and Neal Cotts