ESPN Rumor Central

gsoxs1

QUOTE(qwerty @ Jan 10, 2005 -> 06:27 PM)
You are right, i do hate it. That is too much for the type of numbers vazquez would most likely put up here.

I am not the GM, but we have not signed Rowand and teams seem to be interested in him. For whatever reason we love vazquez, its just something to think about. Kenny is nowhere near done yet.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No way in hell should KW throw away Rowand. That would be retarded. Why in the hell would he take on all of that payroll just to weaken our pitching staff in the long run. No way should that deal be done.

We know Garland can put in ERA under 5 in the cell. The same can't be said for Vazquez. He would get lit up here.

Byrnes sucks compared to Rowand.

You might be able to replace his production (which I doubt) but you can't replace his drive and attitude. It was be the knife in the chest that doomed us to 2nd place.

:puke

QUOTE(EvilJester99 @ Jan 10, 2005 -> 12:44 PM)
Thing I am kind of wondering is what are the Sox going to do with Everett once Frank comes back? Are they seriously going to pay him to sit the bench?? Or will they try to trade him or someone else to keep him playing??

I think with the recent Dye/Thomas/Everett injury history there is room for all of them and they will keep Carl. This will allow them to have a large platoon to get everyone playing, assuming everyone's healthy at the same time. I think it;s good insurance to have, although a tad expensive.

Byrnes vs Westbrook, Sabathia: 884, 661

Byrnes vs Moroth, Johnson: 737, 200

Byrnes vs Santana, Radke: 641, 000

I fail to see how he will help the CWS. Let's face facts. The CWS for the last 3 yrs has been in the hunt entering Sept. Then they get their arses kicked. We need finishers. We need guys that have good success vs the top 6. We have enough to slug out the first 5 months & remain in contention. We need finishers!

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Jan 10, 2005 -> 08:23 PM)
Look at his numbers vs the ALC.  They're bad & I don't mean good.

I have a feeling that if we had a chance to get ichiro and he had decent to bad numbers against the al centreal you would not want any part of him.

It's really not hard to look up. Ichiro vs ALC:

vs. CLE .360 .383 .459 .842

vs. DET .345 .385 .482 .867

vs. KAN .313 .389 .465 .854

vs. MIN .306 .324 .352 .676

Ichiro vs West, CC : 733, 1160

Ichiro vs Mor, Joh : 619. 1166

Ichiro vs San, Rad : 500, 885

The difference with Ichiro is his BA is good despite a low OPS.

vs West he hit 286, vs San he hit 250.

Great fit.

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Jan 10, 2005 -> 08:42 PM)
It's really not hard to look up.  Ichiro vs ALC:

Ichiro vs Mor, Joh  : 619. 1166

Great fit.

He was just using that as an example. I think he's trying to say that you're throwing out some ridiculous stats to prove whether or not a player is a solid player, sorry if I put words in your mouth qwert, that's just how I interpreted it.

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Jan 10, 2005 -> 08:42 PM)
It's really not hard to look up.  Ichiro vs ALC:

Ichiro vs Mor, Joh  : 619. 1166

Great fit.

I was using him as an example, i know his stats. I am saying, if there was a great player such as pujols, ichiro, ramirez, etc and they were bad against the american league central. You are telling me you would not want them?

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jan 10, 2005 -> 08:44 PM)
He was just using that as an example.  I think he's trying to say that you're throwing out some ridiculous stats to prove whether or not a player is a solid player, sorry if I put words in your mouth qwert, that's just how I interpreted it.

You got what i said. His polanco, rollins, and castillo stats against the american league central are all sample sizes for the most part. Which means they can be thrown out the window.

Just curious, but where the hell does ESPN think Byrnes is going to play? I don't know if anyone has mentioned that yet in this thread but with Spod, Rowand, and Dye the outfield is full and none of these guys can play anywhere else.

If they acquire Byrnes either Spod is going elsewhere or they think Thomas is going to be out a while and plan on DH'ing Dye or something (I don't think thats the case).

Sometimes I really wonder what the news media is thinking when they write rumors. I'm a Byrnes fan by the way and I'd like him here, its just not going to happen this year.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jan 11, 2005 -> 03:52 AM)
Just curious, but where the hell does ESPN think Byrnes is going to play?  I don't know if anyone has mentioned that yet in this thread but with Spod, Rowand, and Dye the outfield is full and none of these guys can play anywhere else.

If they acquire Byrnes either Spod is going elsewhere or they think Thomas is going to be out a while and plan on DH'ing Dye or something (I don't think thats the case). 

Sometimes I really wonder what the news media is thinking when they write rumors.  I'm a Byrnes fan by the way and I'd like him here, its just not going to happen this year.

As i have speculated earlier in thread it could mean that the sox would trade Rowand. It seems they are at an impasse with his contract right now, and many teams like him. I am not saying I like it or saying it will happen. If they did sign byrnes, it reopens that door, for a garland and rowand trade to the D back for vasquez. For whatever reason KW is fixated on that guy. I am sure it won't happen. Whats the update on rowands contract? this is why it could happen.

QUOTE(quickman @ Jan 10, 2005 -> 07:57 PM)
As i have speculated earlier in thread it could mean that the sox would trade Rowand. It seems they are at an impasse with his contract right now, and many teams like him. I am not saying I like it or saying it will happen. If they did sign byrnes, it reopens that door, for a garland and rowand trade to the D back for vasquez. For whatever reason KW is fixated on that guy. I am sure it won't happen. Whats the update on rowands contract? this is why it could happen.

Ya, that thought entered my mind and then I quickly shut it out because i'd hate to see that happen. Plus I really think Kenny loves Arow. YOu never know though, but if they deal Arow they better be getting one hell of a ballplayer in return.

QUOTE(quickman @ Jan 10, 2005 -> 07:57 PM)

I'm guessing they will go to arb or get closer. Although they may of passed some deadline, but I doubt it. I only think that deadline applies to unrestricted free agents not free agents.

Worse case the Sox will sign him to a one year deal now and then continue to work out an extension over the offseason.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jan 11, 2005 -> 04:01 AM)
I'm guessing they will go to arb or get closer.  Although they may of passed some deadline, but I doubt it.  I only think that deadline applies to unrestricted free agents not free agents.

Worse case the Sox will sign him to a one year deal now and then continue to work out an extension over the offseason.

Well, this year it seems alot of teams are interested in rowand. Understandably. That stated and the fact the Sox hate arbitration and don't like to continue to arbitrate two years in a row, tells me that they could consider trading him. Its not a great situation but if they could get bynes, they could indeed trade arrow away for the pitcher or 2b they want. Who knows its total specuation. I believe I sense that KW is not done.

QUOTE(quickman @ Jan 10, 2005 -> 08:07 PM)
Well, this year it seems alot of teams are interested in rowand. Understandably. That stated and the fact the Sox hate arbitration and don't like to continue to arbitrate two years in a row, tells me that they could consider trading him. Its not a great situation but if they could get bynes, they could indeed trade arrow away for the pitcher or 2b they want. Who knows its total specuation. I believe I sense that KW is not done.

It would be interesting if they acquired Byrnes and Octavio Dotel and were then able to deal Marte or another reliever for a middle infielder. I'd definately agree with that. But I think we both realize its quite unlikely, but with Kenny anything is possible (I mean that in a good way cause I truly think he's always open to finding new ways to make the team better and I love that, although its not panned out thus far I really think it will this year).

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jan 11, 2005 -> 04:10 AM)
It would be interesting if they acquired Byrnes and Octavio Dotel and were then able to deal Marte or another reliever for a middle infielder.  I'd definately agree with that.  But I think we both realize its quite unlikely, but with Kenny anything is possible (I mean that in a good way cause I truly think he's always open to finding new ways to make the team better and I love that, although its not panned out thus far I really think it will this year).

I know most on this board would probably be in total disagreement with me, but if Kenny got a package of (just using an example) Byrnes, Dotel, and a highly-rated prospect, I'd definitely pull the trigger.

Rowand is a solid player, but if some team would have been willing to really, really overpay for him, I'd definitely pull the trigger...

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jan 10, 2005 -> 08:24 PM)
I know most on this board would probably be in total disagreement with me, but if Kenny got a package of (just using an example) Byrnes, Dotel, and a highly-rated prospect, I'd definitely pull the trigger.

Rowand is a solid player, but if some team would have been willing to really, really overpay for him, I'd definitely pull the trigger...

Ya, thats the only deal I'd do with the A's and I doubt they would pull the trigger, but I like dotel and once again I like the idea of a strong bullpen and that would definately give the Sox that.

But at the same time I like Rowand a ton and think were really just a starting 2nd baseman or shortstop away from having a FANTASTIC offseason.