Lee trade completed.

CanOfCorn

QUOTE(elrockinMT @ Jan 10, 2005 -> 11:27 PM)
I too did not like the Carlos Lee trade. Hinton doesn't make me feel any better about it. I keep thinking of the big trades made in past years that just didn't pan out: Ritchie, Colon, Koch... But, what is done is done and the points made that we wouldn't have some free agent signings are probably correct. You just have to play the waiting game. I just want the season to start and am willing to settle for Spring Training to start.

Actually it's Prince Fielder and the Brewer's have a lot of time spent on him. Overbay will be traded within the next 2-3 years.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Rotoworld's thoughts;

White Sox acquired first baseman Travis Hinton from the Brewers as the player to be named in the Carlos Lee trade.

A pretty good pickup. Hinton, who hit .302/.362/.507 for Single-A High Desert last season, was stuck behind Prince Fielder in the Brewers organization. He'll have more of an opportunity to advance with the White Sox. The 24-year-old probably isn't a future regular, but he could make a case with a big year in Double-A. Jan. 10 - 6:12 pm et

My thinking is the Sox are preparing themselves just in case Konerko is not back in 2006, with some backup in Gload and Hinton if he comes along in double A. Of course Rogo could move back to 1B, but I'd say that's unlikely.

QUOTE(Cerbaho-WG @ Jan 10, 2005 -> 05:32 PM)
24 + High Desert = Fills out a roster.

Played behind Prince Fielder=destroys that theory.

Prince was one of the most talked about prospects in Brewers history. Who knows what Travis will pan out too, but please don't play the age card. Now, in the Sox organization, he'll have virtually no pressure and can develop at his own pace. He'll be given every opportunity to succeed.

Rotoworld seems to think we did alright with this PTBNL, I'm with them.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Jan 10, 2005 -> 06:27 PM)

Prince was one of the most talked about prospects in Brewers history.  Who knows what Travis will pan out too, but please don't play the age card.  Now, in the Sox organization, he'll have virtually no pressure and can develop at his own pace.  He'll be given every opportunity to succeed.

He was behind more than Fielder. The stuck behind works at AAA, or possibly AA, not at High A.

We'll forget about him by Wednesday and if he makes a MLB roster, it will be a neat trivia fact.

The thing we have to ask now is what could we have gotten for Lee. That's the only way to measure this trade. I know many of you are chalking it up to a salary purge but many teams wanted Lee. Which means you can still get your purge & decent talent in return.

I think KW got fleeced on this one. He got average players at best in Pods & Vizcaino for a budding superstar in Lee.

QUOTE(SEALgep @ Jan 10, 2005 -> 06:41 PM)
He could turn out to be a decent DH option as well. I don't know why some people are getting down about this kid. It was a PBTN, who you'd think we were going to get? :huh

Looking at how lopsided the trade was, it could have come from AAA. Someone mentioned this is looking more and more like a salary dump. I am beginning to agree.

I have a stupid question. Why do teams do trades with PTBNL?

I mean, when the trade occurs, I believe, the team giving up the PTBNL gives the other team a list from which they can choose that PTBNL. WHy doesn't the team receiving the PTBNL just name the person they want from their list?

What is the purpose of this PTBNL in any trade? Is it because the team receiving the PTBNL cannot make up their mind when the trade goes down? :unsure:

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Jan 10, 2005 -> 06:48 PM)
The thing we have to ask now is what could we have gotten for Lee. That's the only way to measure this trade.  I know many of you are chalking it up to a salary purge but many teams wanted Lee.  Which means you can still get your purge & decent talent in return.

I think KW got fleeced on this one.  He got average players at best in Pods & Vizcaino for a budding superstar in Lee.

I have to agree with you...really makes you wonder what else was out there for Lee. I tend to think Kenny had multiple offers, but thought the deal with the Brewers was best in terms of adding to the speedy, strong-pen New Look Chicago White Sox.

Also, you have to decide if you view this trade as Lee for Podsednik, Vizcaino, and Hinton or Lee for Podsednik, Vizcaino, Hinton, Hernandez, Pierzynski, and a possible middle infielder.

If Podsednik and Vizcaino contribute to the Sox of 2005, no one will be screaming salary dump. If they fail to produce, me thinks we will be seeing a lot more of the "salary dump" talk.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jan 10, 2005 -> 07:02 PM)
i think its because they team needs to make room for the player but not sure on that one.... just a little question here isnt rogo our 1B and if he is who plays 1st in double A this season rogo or this dude.

Isn't he a minor league free agent?

QUOTE(sox-r-us @ Jan 10, 2005 -> 04:55 PM)
I have a stupid question. Why do teams do trades with PTBNL?

I mean, when the trade occurs, I believe, the team giving up the PTBNL gives the other team a list from which they can choose that PTBNL. WHy doesn't the team receiving the PTBNL just name the person they want from their list?

What is the purpose of this PTBNL in any trade? Is it because the team receiving the PTBNL cannot make up their mind when the trade goes down?  :unsure:

I used to think it was done that way so both teams could see how the trade was working out, and a little down the road, that would help determine how good the PTBNL would be. But, obviously that is not the case.

So, I really have no idea. It doesn't make much sense, IMO.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Jan 10, 2005 -> 06:27 PM)

Prince was one of the most talked about prospects in Brewers history.  Who knows what Travis will pan out too, but please don't play the age card.  Now, in the Sox organization, he'll have virtually no pressure and can develop at his own pace.  He'll be given every opportunity to succeed.

I love dealing with ignorant people.

Do you even know the park factor for High Desert? Hinton's career stats?

High Desert is an INSANE hitters park, probably only behind Albequerque when it comes to the most hitter friendly parks in the minors. You want to know where Mr. Hinton was the past two years, when he was 21 and 22? Low-A Beloit. He repeated Low-A ball at 22. Not only did he repeat Low-A at a very young age, he put up HORRIBLE stats while there. Hinton's average OPS while in Beloit was .660 He hit 12 home runs 35 doubles and an average BA of .240 in TWO YEARS. Let me repeat that so you can get it through your skull. 12 home runs. 35 doubles. In two years.

How did he have pressure when all of it was placed upon Gwynn's, Weeks' and Fielder's shoulders in the Milwaukee organization? Your argument makes no sense and is completely devoid of any reasonable thought process. Don't try "to destroy my theory" when you haven't a damn clue what you're talking about.

Jesus f***ing Chirst...

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Jan 10, 2005 -> 05:01 PM)
Also, you have to decide if you view this trade as Lee for Podsednik, Vizcaino, and Hinton or Lee for Podsednik, Vizcaino, Hinton, Hernandez, Pierzynski, and a possible middle infielder.

How can you not look at it as Lee for all 5? If you think about it, the Sox *probably* weren't going to up their payroll much at all, so we used the money saved by trading Lee to fill a couple of holes.

Now, we can't include a possible middle infielder in that group, as the money is already spent. But, I don't think there's anything at all flawed about looking at it as Lee for those 5 players.

QUOTE(lvjeremylv @ Jan 10, 2005 -> 07:52 PM)
How can you not look at it as Lee for all 5?  If you think about it, the Sox *probably* weren't going to up their payroll much at all, so we used the money saved by trading Lee to fill a couple of holes. 

Now, we can't include a possible middle infielder in that group, as the money is already spent.  But, I don't think there's anything at all flawed about looking at it as Lee for those 5 players.

We're in agreement.

I think. :huh

I don't think there's anything at all flawed about looking at it as Lee for those 5 players. In fact, that was the reasoning behind my post.

As for Cerbaho... :lolhitting :lolhitting settle down champ.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Jan 10, 2005 -> 05:59 PM)
We're in agreement.

I think. :huh

I don't think there's anything at all flawed about looking at it as Lee for those 5 players.  In fact, that was the reasoning behind my post.

As for Cerbaho... :lolhitting  :lolhitting  settle down champ.

We have an accord, buddy. ;)

I was simply questioning how *anybody* could argue against it being Lee for those 5 players. It would baffle me to hear their reasoning, heh.

:usa

I found some more stuff on Hinton, and I'm hopeful he may be able to make an impact at some point. He could project as a Gload type player. He was a college player, so it's not like he's been slogging it out in A ball for 6 years. He played at Santa Clara, and was a star at Desert Vista High School in Phoenix, which has one of the top baseball programs in the country (in fact they were ranked in the top 20 nationally by USA Today when he was on the team). Here's what brewerfan.net has to say about him:

Travis Hinton

13th rounder Travis Hinton enjoyed a break-out season in 2004, playing at hitter-friendly High Desert of the California League. He batted .302 with 22 home runs, 36 doubles and 88 RBIs in 536 at-bats. Hinton garnered more honors by being named the Topps player of the month in the California League for the month of June, he won the home run derby at the league's annual All-Star game played against the all-stars from the high-A Carolina League at midseason, and was also named the game's MVP.

Hinton was drafted for his power. Before 2004 he had logged 876 at-bats between a season at Ogden in the Pioneer League and two stops with the Beloit Snappers. In that time he slugged 20 home runs and 73 extra base hits in total, a tribute to his power potential. Given High Desert's ballpark factors, Hinton will need to prove next year that his improved home run totals were not a fluke, as he will likely start play most of all of next season with AA Huntsville in the Southern League, a league that favors pitchers.

2004 also marked Hinton's first full season at first base. While he committed 19 errors in 131 games, most people don't seem to think his defense will be an issue as he continues to learn the position. Hinton may prove to be a solid left-handed bat off the bench that could fill in a corner outfield spot or at first base when needed. Let's face it, the presence of Prince Fielder isn't going to allow anyone else to play 1B at the big league level.

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Jan 10, 2005 -> 06:48 PM)
The thing we have to ask now is what could we have gotten for Lee. That's the only way to measure this trade.  I know many of you are chalking it up to a salary purge but many teams wanted Lee.  Which means you can still get your purge & decent talent in return.

I think KW got fleeced on this one.  He got average players at best in Pods & Vizcaino for a budding superstar in Lee.

Actually, I feel there is only one way to measure a trade: Are the White Sox a better team after making this deal, or were they better before the deal? I think it's a no-brainer that we are all around a much better team after replacing Lee with Podsednik,Vizcaino,Hernandez and Peirzynski. This kid they just got probably makes no difference whatsoever. If he does turn into an asset in form, so much the better.

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Jan 10, 2005 -> 06:09 PM)
If you're going to look at it as 5 for 1 then throw all the $ on the table.

Could the CWS have done better than Hernandez+Vizc+Pods+AJ+A mler

for Lee+(9M). The total of those contracts = 9M.  +1M over the cost of Lee.

I believe they could have.

OK..who should they have got instead? :huh