College Athletes

QUOTE(qwerty @ Jan 18, 2005 -> 09:42 PM)
No. I don't know why people would think they should.

Well for one reason, the incredible amount of time that a D1 athlete has to commit to his or her sport does not allow for them to have even a part time job that a normal college student would be able to have. While often times...but not always...they have at least some of their tuition payed, that still provides no spending money whatsoever.

I'm not saying I necessarily agree or disagree with athletes getting payed...but it's at least something to consider.

With the amount of time they have to put into their sport, especially the major ones, yes, i believe they should get paid. It would have to be a set limit and the same for every player on a team, nothing extravagant, more like some spending money, around the same amount a normal college kid would get from a part time job. Something like that.

QUOTE(OfficerKarkovice @ Jan 18, 2005 -> 11:08 PM)
Every college athlete is on a full-tuition scholarship?  Wow...news to me.

Well not everyone, but the original post said that they bring in money to the school and major companies. Which basically means he's only implying football and basketball. It's worked this long, they shouldn't be paid.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Jan 18, 2005 -> 10:10 PM)
Well not everyone, but the original post said that they bring in money to the school and major companies.  Which basically means he's only implying football and basketball.  It's worked this long, they shouldn't be paid.

Im going to put this into perspective here: Is it fair that 100's of thousands of lets say , Dee Brown Jerseys have been sold and he has not made a penny. I think there is something morraly wrong with the system.

QUOTE(Duke Of Chicago @ Jan 18, 2005 -> 10:18 PM)
Im going to put this into perspective here: Is it fair that 100's of thousands of lets say , Dee Brown Jerseys have been sold and he has not made a penny. I think there is something morraly wrong with the system.

He's getting a full scholarship to a great university as well as the opportunity to work on his game and showcase himself so that he can play in the NBA in the future. There are people that would do anything to get the opportunities that athletes on scholarship are presented with. Playing a sport is a fair exchange for getting the chance to get a free education. My other problem with your statement is does everyone then get paid the same. Should Jack Ingram get paid the amount as Dee Brown even though their jersey sales would be completely different? Because then if they get different amounts isn't there still something morally wrong according the the response you gave above. Paying college athletes is opening Pandora's box IMO.

QUOTE(Duke Of Chicago @ Jan 19, 2005 -> 04:18 AM)

I don't think it is that simple. Universities provide educational opportunities. They provide housing, books, meals, etc. If a player qualifies for a Pell Grant, he can get that money and use it. Universities also provide facilities for athletes that are unlike any other on campus. They have lounges with big screen tv's, posh locker room facilities, training table, access to tutors at no cost. Many have separate housing.

There are many benefits to being an athlete that other students do not have. Some athletes get the opportunity for an education they would not get otherwise if they could not dribble a basketball. Many times they would not even get into a school without that ability.

Athletes have a support system unlike any available to regular students. They get opportunities to compete at a high level and hone their skills to potentially get paid to play.

You make it sound like athletes are so poor that they do nothing but go to class, to practice and immediately back to their dorm room because they have zero money to spend. In all my experiences and from every one I have ever known, I would say that would be a rare circumstance.

If an athlete does things right and doesn't piss away his/her opportunity, they walk away as a better person and with an education. If they piss it away, that is their own fault because the opportunites are there.

Very few athletes ever go on to play professionally. Very few when taking in all sports make the university money, much of what is needed to pay for non-revenue sports. I don't see, after looking at the big picture, it would make much sense to pay a swimmer or a golfer or a wrestler, which you would have to pay if you paid the others.

QUOTE(Duke Of Chicago @ Jan 18, 2005 -> 10:18 PM)

0 "Dee Brown" jerseys have been sold, but a lot of "11" jerseys have been sold. I saw one tonight going for $70.

Schools aren't allowed to sell merchandise with the name of players on it. Some companies won't letter a current player's name on a jersey either.

Does anyone know why Illinois only sells "26" football jerseys? (It's my number anyways and I got and orange one tonight for $25. :D )

QUOTE(AssHatSoxFan @ Jan 19, 2005 -> 05:15 AM)
players get a stipend in addition to tuition so they are in a sense getting paid but its more along the lines to help them out nothing extravagent here but it is more at other schools i believe

What stipend are you referring to?

Everyone is making good points here. But it isn't the school that should be paying the athletes...it's the NCAA. I am at my wit's end with this group of hypocritical pricks. C'mon, the whole Mike Williams thing. The courts allowed him to sign with an agent, so he did. it was legal. Then the courts reversed it on appeal, but the NCAA won't? WTF?!?!

And jeremy Bloom...completely different sport, not affiliated with the University at all, and they don't allow him to play football.

The NCAA should be the ones to figure out how much each athlete should get, since they claim to know what's best for the athlete. Then maybe once and for all this corrupt group of morons can be b****slapped back to doing what an Association is supposed to do and that is represent the universities and athletes that compete for the universities. Instead of the omniscient centralized bureaucracy they've become.

At illinois state are athletics are more then likley not profitable at all. Sure the athletes don't get payed, but they do get a free education. They also live in the most expensive apartment buliding with the money they recieve from the university. I could never even imagine being able to afford that building, and they get to live the for free. The also have the best Workout facilities, locker rooms and trainers at their disposal at absolutly no cost to themselves. Why should they make money on top of this?

Argument 2:

You remark that Athletes have to practice and go to class, (which isn't true whatever you say athletes don't go to class, thier former academic advisor said as much to me), that they should be given an extra stipend to cover this. Well i am a member of the university mock trial team, i put in just as many hours as an athlete does, plus more because i go to class and have to do my homework for all the classes i miss due to roadtrips and the like. So shouldn't i recieve money as well?

The system is working, why should we change it?

Here's a question for you.

The Michigan State band goes to a bowl game (mostly in theory) with the football team. When they travel, they work less but miss the same amount of school, if there is school to be missed. They get a sometimes rather large per diem.

Do college players get that for road trips?

QUOTE(winodj @ Jan 19, 2005 -> 07:31 PM)
Here's a question for you.

The Michigan State band goes to a bowl game (mostly in theory) with the football team. When they travel, they work less but miss the same amount of school, if there is school to be missed. They get a sometimes rather large per diem.

Do college players get that for road trips?

When I was in college and we traveled, we got daily meal money. If it was a long trip, they gave you an envelope with the cash in it for the whole trip.

Opening Pandora's Box. Would every varsity athlete receive the same pay? Regardless of sport, regardless of skill? QBs get $1,500 per semester, tennis players $150? Would colleges be allowed to set their own wage scale? Perhaps Oklahoma is offering $1,000 per semester and Michigan only $750. If a kid is injured does he lose his pay? If you think the system is messed up now, wait until this is implimented.

The current rules are too strict and non sensical. If you are on a band scholarship and want to play in a wedding band for pay, no problem, keep the pay and the scholarship. If you are a varsity golfer and want to work at a golf course for spending money, you lose.

There are problems, but it could be a lot worse.

QUOTE(winodj @ Jan 19, 2005 -> 05:59 PM)
Maybe, there oughta be a revenue sharing policy with the players. If Illinois makes a ton of cash on their program, they should share part of it with the people who make that profit for them.

Most schools make very little money of athletics as much of the revenue from sports like basketball and football has to go to the non revenue sports. Athletes are getting full rides to universities plus room and board which in many cases is worth well over $20,000. It gives them the opportunity to get an education for many an opportunity that wouldn't have been there if it wasn't for a scholarship, there is no reason for them to be paid on top of that.

QUOTE(winodj @ Jan 19, 2005 -> 05:59 PM)
Maybe, there oughta be a revenue sharing policy with the players. If Illinois makes a ton of cash on their program, they should share part of it with the people who make that profit for them.

I don't know if you are serious or not, but I think this is a great idea. Why should an institution of higher learning exploit athletes for a purpose that has nothing to do with higher learning. Do you think anyone would know who Miami, Nebraska, Florida State etc were if it wasn't for football? Are the players going there for the education? Hell no.