Yahoo Fantasy Baseball sign ups!!!

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(silver and black @ Feb 10, 2005 -> 04:45 PM)
what about me?

i was asking to be in a league a while back...

hell, i will start and commish a new fantasy baseball league...

Did you read the thread? People who were in leagues last year get first dibs at staying in their leagues. Then everyone else gets divided up into remaining spots and new leagues.

At the end of last week, the fantasy industry was in a tizzy over last month's deal between the MLB Players Association and MLB Advanced Media, which owns MLB.com.

When the five-year deal, which is worth more than $50 million, was announced Jan. 19, it provided MLBAM exclusive rights to use and sublicense MLB player group rights for online games, including fantasy.

But on Friday, MLBAM e-mailed companies that run fantasy baseball online games, telling them they would not be granted a license to operate those games.

Suddenly, ESPN, Yahoo, CBS Sportsline, CDM Sports and others were on the outside looking in. MLB.com, of course, was on the inside.

It's not the first showdown between pro sports and those wanting to play with their statistics. In 1997, a U.S. Court of Appeals ruled against the NBA in a lawsuit against Motorola, which wanted to use in-progress basketball data on its pagers.

The number of people who play fantasy sports has mushroomed since then, so the stakes are much greater now. And industry people say that number could drop if game companies can't retain their licenses.

Stay tuned.

02/10/2005 1:38 PM ET

Opening Day for Fantasy Baseball slated for Feb. 17

NEW YORK -- MLB.com, the official website of Major League Baseball, announced today that Opening Day for the 2005 Fantasy Baseball Season will be next Thursday, February 17. On that day, MLB.com and its licensed partners, will unveil their new, exciting and expanded fantasy offerings for 2005, and fans around the globe will have the opportunity to begin assembling their fantasy teams for the upcoming season.

"An official Fantasy Opening Day is just the first step in significantly raising the visibility and expanding the fantasy baseball industry over the next few years," said Gregg Klayman, the head of MLB.com's fantasy baseball division. "There are millions of baseball fans out there who have never played fantasy, and our primary goal is to increase the number of fans who make fantasy an integral part of the way they enjoy and follow the sport."

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/news/mlb...lbcom&fext=.jsp

ill be in any league as long as its active people and live draft and head to head setup dont care if its keeper or not.

I played last year with a group of friends and beat them all bad last year i get really into it and would be nice to get in a league with a bunch of dedicated sox fans that know a lot about baseball outside of just the white sox :headbang

diddnt do a league last year btw with you all.

Edited by SoxFan101

I think autodrafts suck too...but i wouldn't mind joining one if it's an autodraft league that i have to join. I definitley prefer to be in a live draft.

Of course i'm having my own money league with my family and friends($50 per person) but i would like to be in a good league with friends from this board.....i am very active for fantasy baseball....and was for football until i was officially eliminated.

http://rototimes.com/index.php?sport=bsbal...F20050210092848

In what appears to be little more than a public relations ploy, MLB Advanced Media has offered license agreements to several small companies. However, the terms of the offer reveal their true intentions. Several of the so-called "mom-and-pop" companies have been offered some variation of the following deal: If they have fewer than 5,000 customers, they can have a license for $10,000 for the 2005 season. If they have more than 5,000 customers, the price jumps to $500,000. Multiple industry sources confirmed for Rototimes.com that this offer has been distributed. As one industry observer said "customer number 5,001 is awfully expensive." The smaller companies certainly can't afford the $500,000 figure, and it does not appear that the larger companies have received the same offer. Brian Matthews, co-founder of CDM, said that the offer was not presented to CDM. The obvious intent is to fence in smaller competitors by punishing a customer base beyond 5,000, a number that MLB Advanced Media likely deems as inconsequential competition. By doing this, it can try to shut down its larger competitors without looking like it is trying to shut out all competition.

Ok, i sent PM's to everyone who was in my league last year except Grebeck fan club who hasnt posted since saying he wanted to do last years fantasy baseball

People who have replied to my PM and will be in my league again

Flash Tizzle

KipWellsFan

Ishmookie

Soxfanforever

Big Dub

Soxfan1

Still waiting on

Be Good

El Caballo45

mmmmbeeer

Edited by whitesoxfan56789

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Jan 24, 2005 -> 03:11 PM)
If there is a spot open in a keeper league, I would love to join.

SB

I would love to join a keeper league. I've been participating in baseball fantasy leagues of one sort or another for 15 years and I would love to be in a very competitive keeper league with my fellow White Sox fans.

QUOTE(thomsonmi @ Feb 10, 2005 -> 11:56 PM)
I would love to join a keeper league.  I've been participating in baseball fantasy leagues of one sort or another for 15 years and I would love to be in a very competitive keeper league with my fellow White Sox fans.

Let me add that I'm more than capable of participating in a league that requires my utmost attention throughout the baseball season.