More dominos to fall?

Guest JimH

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Jan 24, 2005 -> 07:24 PM)
You've been a real trooper through all this and I want to applaude you.

You're that guy that won't settle for anything less than being told, "you are right," aren't you.

Will that make this temper tantrum cease?

YOU ARE RIGHT KEITH.

Have a cookie, but whatever. :rolly

Temper tantrum?

You're the one doing the name calling, not me.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(JimH @ Jan 24, 2005 -> 01:26 PM)
Very interesting, thanks much for the info. :cheers

The Reds wanted some insurance, seeing as one of their SS candidates is stuck in Venezuela with a knee problem.

I did read the Larkin article last week, and the agent says Larkin has not found the perfect situation yet.  Teams are pursuing him though ... notably Washington.  The Sox were mentioned very loosely ... in terms of pursuing middle IF help.

Longshot.

Yeah, good info on Aurilia.

BTW, did anyone catch the guy the Yanks picked up for their utility infielder?

Rey Sanchez.

Now, why would the Yankees, the kings of payroll, sign a guy like that? Hmm.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jan 24, 2005 -> 07:26 PM)
Very interesting, thanks much for the info. :cheers

The Reds wanted some insurance, seeing as one of their SS candidates is stuck in Venezuela with a knee problem.

I did read the Larkin article last week, and the agent says Larkin has not found the perfect situation yet.  Teams are pursuing him though ... notably Washington.  The Sox were mentioned very loosely ... in terms of pursuing middle IF help.

Longshot.

Say Larkin retires, which is most likely going to happen.

Who is out there -- veteran wise -- that can put up average numbers, and play SS?

I think we're looking at Ozuna/Valdez for SS.

Boy, Harris' ability to play SS would make my argument a hell of a lot easier... :D

Jim -- one more thing. Don't take this as me being a smartass, but how do you expect Larkin -- if he signed here -- to get 90+ games at SS?

I'm assuming the Sox don't expect Crede to be as 'sucky' (for lack of a better word at this point) at 3B this year, and I'm also assuming that the Sox think Iguchi is going to at least put up a .270 AVG -- at least. If all of that holds true, it leaves really only one position for Uribe, as our everyday SS.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jan 24, 2005 -> 01:35 PM)
Doesnt anyone think its a little too soon to pull the plug on willie???? 

Yes. Many posters believe its too soon to pull the plug.

The lines have been drawn on the issue and I think its shaping up to be all about playing time/opporutnity/potential. I'm thinking thats the krux of the argument.

If I'm off on this assesment, I'd like to know why. Honestly (not being a smart ass here).

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Jan 24, 2005 -> 07:24 PM)
You've been a real trooper through all this and I want to applaude you.

You're that guy that won't settle for anything less than being told, "you are right," aren't you.

Will that make this temper tantrum cease?

YOU ARE RIGHT KEITH.

Have a cookie, but whatever. :rolly

Addison, let's end this petty s***.

My apologies for pushing the envelope, I was a real jag for saying that your hatred for Harris is "ignorant", as I put it. I'm just looking to instigate a fight by saying that, so I apologize for that.

We have our different opinions on Harris, neither of which will change (most likely).

My bad for any jabs at you. A good baseball argument got a little heated, I guess, ehh?

Peace? :cheers

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jan 24, 2005 -> 01:38 PM)
Addison, let's end this petty s***.

My apologies for pushing the envelope, I was a real jag for saying that your hatred for Harris is "ignorant", as I put it.  I'm just looking to instigate a fight by saying that, so I apologize for that.

We have our different opinions on Harris, neither of which will change (most likely).

My bad for any jabs at you.  A good baseball argument got a little heated, I guess, ehh?

Peace?  :cheers

Yeah, I was caught a little off guard.

I'm usually with you 110% on your ideas.

Peace. Here's hoping we can drink some of the Black and Silver Kool Aid together in the not too distant future. :cheers

:sosasucks :lol:

QUOTE(WSFAN35 @ Jan 24, 2005 -> 07:38 PM)
Deivi Cruz is still available, and probably for a minor league deal.  He can play SS, 2B, and 3B and he's decent at handling the bat.

Deivi has no RANGE. Rather stick with Valdez.

And Ozuna can't play short

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Jan 24, 2005 -> 06:56 PM)
Not that much.  Just that Ozzie likes to talk, so you hear a lot of it.  The announcers tend to echo Sox management, so I just don't take too much from that (witness the sea change that occurred when Jimenez left -- from 'we don't see that at all' to 'worst teammate in the game').

If you look at the minor league reports, everyone praises his leadership and attitude.  That's from both partial and impartial sources.  And you didn't hear anything snide after the Sox got him, like you did w/ Jimenez leaving the Padres.  So he's confident, why is that at ALL bad?  He's never (as far as I've heard) said anything negative about his teammates, only positive things about himself.  And he's never gone to the press complaining when he loses time or gets thrown into a different position.

So I will continue to see Harris as a model citizen as long as I see nothing solid behind all this talk.

Look, not argueing, but can't everyone see that the sox DO NOT like HArris. they have reasons, none of which we will ever know. They don't like him. Its really that simple.

QUOTE(JoshPR @ Jan 24, 2005 -> 01:41 PM)
Deivi has no RANGE. Rather stick with Valdez.

And Ozuna can't play short

I'm not so sure about Valdez's range either, but I haven't seen him in enough MLB games to draw from. At least Cruz has proven he can hit major league pitching off the bench. I don't see why he would be such a poor choice for a minor league deal.

On the level of just evaluating Willie Harris, with no comparison's to Iguchi or anyone else, I'm basically a fence-sitter. I think Willie showed enough fopr a young player to warrant another shot, but also showed a lack of consistency and baseball instinct that makes him a huge ? . What I'm picking up on is a lack of faith in Harris by the Sox decision makers. That raises a red flag with me. The fact that they stayed in these Iguchi negotiations for a month tells me plenty. The White Sox do not believe Harris is the answer at 2B. So be it. Move on.

The Sox almost have to trade willie now. Having him sit on the bench, spot start and pinch run won't help his trade value any. He's prob. at his highest value now--the potential to improve on his decent 2004. Some team has to be in need of a leadoff man/ 2b man, right?! Not the Sox will get much for him at this date, w/ a lot of teams set to go into ST with what they have.

Even if Iguchi falls down, the Sox have Uribe to take over at 2b. The question is who'll backup Uribe? Valdez may be a short term answer if Uribe goes down, yet he should stay in AAA in case he's needed. But the sox should get a vet who can be OK with spot starting for the 25 man roster

QUOTE(WSFAN35 @ Jan 24, 2005 -> 07:56 PM)
Is there any way that the Sox could trade for Chone Figgins?  It seems like the Angels are stacked and they might have a hard time finding playing time for him.

Where Would Mr. Figgins Play? I think the Angles got him penciled at second base

I'm too lazy to read this entire thread so sorry if someone else brought it up but I think the Cardinals would be the biggest market for Willie at this point. I doubt they are sold on Grudz and he is injury prone. Not to mention that Willie might even be able to do some of what Wolmack did last year.

I think Willie will be traded for another RP. My reasoning is that numbers wise there is great separation still from Adkins to Politte in the pen. He is the weakest link. Wille should be able to fetch the Sox a player as good or better than Politte. That would make for one of the strongest pens in MLB. No real weaknesses.

You can not build a roster on the expectation that someone goes down. You have to assume the guys you sign or going to be healthy. You plan for contingencies with your farm system & your team's ability to make a quick trade. That will be there most of the year for the Sox with so many 2B dangling on the trade wire: Castillo, Polanco, & Boone to name a few.

As most of you have said the greatest need is a solid SS backup to Uribe.

It's a dire need. Kaitou has played SS in his career but not since the shoulder surgery. It doesn't mean he can't play it. Since 2000 the FKH SS was a solid player as well. It might just have been the best fit for the team.

But I would prefer a solid backup SS like Larkin because then if Crede struggles (again) Uribe can move to 3B & Larkin can take over SS. With a solid backup SS you cover both the need to spell Uribe & insurance vs Crede.

One last note. If you think about the history of the White Sox since the inception of the closer in baseball haven't we always gone crazy over these guys? I know I did. Gossage, Thigpen, & Foulke to name a few. Even when Marte was closing. If a guy gets it done we go bonkers for him.

We love a good closer. We appreciate a good closer. We're not Cub fans.