Why does everybody want Willie gone so bad?

SoxPhan7

My main reason for keeping willie, is may, just maybe, he will learn to steal a base on command. If he could that would be huge! For example we are down by 1 in the 8th or 9th and we get a lead of single/walk put willie in there steal 2nd, sac to third, and then score on a sac fly. Tied Game. Maybe it is all a dream and i like to give people the benefit of the doubt, but it my mind that is adding a bunch of wins to a season.

I guess i am just crazy :bang

The more I think about this he is tailor made for the Cub. He would be best buddies I imagine with Patterson. So are there any Cub players worth giving up Harris for?

I've always like Farnsworth because he could throw 100 mph. We don't have any one like that right now. A lot of mid-90 guys but not the real heat. He could help Iguchi adjust to the high heat of MLB. He's a head case but I think Oz & Cooper can help him.

My main reason for keeping willie, is may, just maybe, he will learn to steal a base on command. If he could that would be huge! For example we are down by 1 in the 8th or 9th and we get a lead of single/walk put willie in there steal 2nd, sac to third, and then score on a sac fly. Tied Game. Maybe it is all a dream and i like to give people the benefit of the doubt, but it my mind that is adding a bunch of wins to a season.

I guess i am just crazy :bang

Well you're thinking the Thomas-Koney or AJ-Crede pairings. With Everett you might do that with Thomas. With Gload you can do it for Koney, & with Davis you could do it with AJ. But you can't do it with Crede. If you do it with Crede, then Uribe goes to 3B & you have no one to play SS. Assuming Iggy can't make that throw any more.

So you are back to the general feeling that if both Harris & Iggy can't play short then Harris is a waste of space.

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Jan 25, 2005 -> 12:17 AM)
The more I think about this he is tailor made for the Cub.  He would be best buddies I imagine with Patterson. So are there any Cub players worth giving up Harris for?

I've always like Farnsworth because he could throw 100 mph.  We don't have any one like that right now.  A lot of mid-90 guys but not the real heat.  He could help Iguchi adjust to the high heat of MLB.  He's a head case but I think Oz & Cooper can help him.

In a heartbeat...

I understand why everyone wants to trade him.  The reason people want him gone is because

-he hits terrible against lefties

-we need a UIF and willie only plays second

-there is no guarantee he will improve substantially on the basepaths

-he might have decent trade value to pick up a UIF or a good prospect.

He has hit well against them before last year

He plays outfied positions as well

He has only had one season in the bigs see: arow 2 years ago

Why trade him for the same type of player??

Maybe Hendry is seeing this the same way. Where is the team speed on the Cub? Patterson has great speed, but Barrett, Lee, Ramirez, & Normar are above average at best. Sosa is average & whomever is playing 2B or LF is about average as well. They might be one of the slowest teams in the NL.

They might need Harris a lot more than we do. For that matter the same can be said of Milw whom gave up Pods. There are teams in need of Harris' speed. That's for sure.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jan 24, 2005 -> 05:58 PM)
:huh

Harris himself said he was lacking confidence to steal bases.  It was a problem all last year.

I'm more or less referring to how he has done statistically over his career. I believe Ozzie gave him the green light to steal bases this past year, and he did not steal, and that was one of his problems too.

If you tell him when to steal and give him the sign, he is apparently OK. He started off his career 20 of 22 in SBs, and is 39 of 48 in his career. That is not necessarily struggling a ton. He may be struggling getting reads on pitchers, and I suppose one could view that the same as struggling with stealing bases, but I do not.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jan 24, 2005 -> 05:33 PM)
And plain and simple.. he just don't listen!!

You hit it on the head.

For better or worse, this is Ozzie's team and if he don't like you, you will be gone. Sometimes sooner, sometimes later.

I'm more or less referring to how he has done statistically over his career.  I believe Ozzie gave him the green light to steal bases this past year, and he did not steal, and that was one of his problems too.

If you tell him when to steal and give him the sign, he is apparently OK. He started off his career 20 of 22 in SBs, and is 39 of 48 in his career.  That is not necessarily struggling a ton.  He may be struggling getting reads on pitchers, and I suppose one could view that the same as struggling with stealing bases, but I do not.

Excellent explanation, thanks for clarifying.

Your last sentence is where we view it a little differently, I guess. I lump all that stuff together and group it as stealing bases.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jan 24, 2005 -> 11:43 PM)
Sigh.

Where to start ...

1.  It certainly appears many Sox personnel and those associated with the team feel he rubs people the wrong way and is a clubhouse ... problem.

2.  He's not a bench player, he really only played well when he got lots of playing time.

3.  Iguchi was not brought here to platoon, not at $2.4M per yr.

4.  Harris can't play the other IF positions.

5.  He has acknowledged trouble bunting.

6.  He struggles stealing bases.

7.  See #1

My god how many threads is this now. Who cares about Willie Harris? I mean really, how can this be? he is nothing and never will be. Get over it youngsters. He was overrated as a minor leaguer. He is what he is. That's it. he was suppose to be Ray durham junior, but faster. He will never be that good. Furthermore, he is probably not suited for the bench, he will sulk and wine like a cry baby. I have seen all the opinions about his chances, but if OZZIE and KW are in charge this guy won't see time. Maybe he didn't get a shot, but who the hell cares. Willie Harris is not a star, he certianly would not have taken us to the playoffs. He is nothing but a punch and Judy hitter with no gap power. He doesn't know when to steal a base, he can't bunt worth a s***.Sometimes I think people fall in love with players and not the team. KW is probably the most agressive GM this year. He is doign his job.

My god how many threads is this now. Who cares about Willie Harris? I mean really, how can this be? he is nothing and never will be. Get over it youngsters. He was overrated as a minor leaguer. He is what he is. That's it. he was suppose to be Ray durham junior, but faster. He will never be that good. Furthermore, he is probably not suited for the bench, he will sulk and wine like a cry baby. I have seen all the opinions about his chances, but if OZZIE and KW are in charge this guy won't see time. Maybe he didn't get a shot, but who the hell cares. Willie Harris is not a star, he certianly would not have taken us to the playoffs. He is nothing but a punch and Judy hitter with no gap power. He doesn't know when to steal a base, he can't bunt worth a s***.Sometimes I think people fall in love with players and not the team. KW is probably the most agressive GM this year. He is doign his job.

Sometimes your bluntness drives me up a wall, but I believe you're entitled this time. I especially like the last three sentences.

What will be interesting is where he goes, and what they get for him. I would suspect a lower level team who can live with the eccentricities.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jan 25, 2005 -> 01:13 AM)
Sometimes your bluntness drives me up a wall, but I believe you're entitled this time.  I especially like the last three sentences.

What will be interesting is where he goes, and what they get for him.  I would suspect a lower level team who can live with the eccentricities.

My bluntness comes out when I see five threads saying the same bulls***, or when I see some goofy survey asking what someone will bat. Its nuts. We got a better player who is more fundamentally sound and knows how to play the game. Its that simple. I don't see what the problem is. They want certainn players, Willie doesn't fit. End of discussion. Move on people.

My bluntness comes out when I see five threads saying the same bulls***, or when I see some goofy survey asking what someone will bat. Its nuts. We got a better player who is more fundamentally sound and knows how to play the game. Its that simple. I don't see what the problem is. They want certainn players, Willie doesn't fit. End of discussion. Move on people.

This afternoon I heard $4.7M with a team option for the 3rd year. Not bad.

Other than this middle IF situation they're done and ready to go.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jan 24, 2005 -> 07:25 PM)
This afternoon I heard $4.7M with a team option for the 3rd year.  Not bad.

Other than this middle IF situation they're done and ready to go.

I've got a question for you Jim, before you said you wouldn't trade Willie for graff, with the signing of Iguchi do you think it would be a good deal if Tony is healthy?? I know that's highly unlikely with the sox rarely trading in division but that deal just resurfaced in my mind.

I've got a question for you Jim, before you said you wouldn't trade Willie for graff, with the signing of Iguchi do you think it would be a good deal if Tony is healthy??  I know that's highly unlikely with the sox rarely trading in division but that deal just resurfaced in my mind.

If Tony G. is healthy, yeah, I probably would.

I'd like to keep Harris on the team, simply because I don't think Iguchi is any more proven than him. So if Iguchi struggles, at least we have Harris. So, for the start of the season, with Thomas out, go with 11 pitchers and keep Harris, Valdez, Gload, Perez and Burke on the bench. When Thomas returns, the verdict should be out on both Iguchi and Harris. You can then decide if you want to keep Perez or Harris on the roster.

Keep Harris as a backup 2B/CF.

QUOTE(Molto @ Jan 24, 2005 -> 09:22 PM)
You can then decide if you want to keep Perez or Harris on the roster.

We have to keep Perez on the roster. We arent paying him $1 mil to do nothing (even though it might seem like it).

QUOTE(Molto @ Jan 25, 2005 -> 02:22 PM)
I'd like to keep Harris on the team, simply because I don't think Iguchi is any more proven than him. So if Iguchi struggles, at least we have Harris. So, for the start of the season, with Thomas out, go with 11 pitchers and keep Harris, Valdez, Gload, Perez and Burke on the bench. When Thomas returns, the verdict should be out on both Iguchi and Harris. You can then decide if you want to keep Perez or Harris on the roster.

Davis will be the backup catcher, Burke will most likely start the year in Charlotte.