Illinois/Wisconson predictions

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I honestly.......don't know.

Illinois has had games where tey look like they should be able to take wisconsin down pretty handily. And then there's been games where Wisconsin could blow us out (ie: the iowa game) .

All i know, it's going to be a damn good game to watch.

QUOTE(Soxnbears01 @ Jan 25, 2005 -> 08:55 AM)
I honestly.......don't know.

Illinois has had games where tey look like they should be able to take wisconsin down pretty handily.  And then there's been games where Wisconsin could blow us out (ie: the iowa game) .

All i know, it's going to be a damn good game to watch.

Well in all fairness Iowa was one of our toughest opponents we have played, and I mean that..

Another thing, we shot like 30% that game, from our usual 50%\

Then you gotta take in account what we have done against the big time teams like Wake, Gonzaga, and Cincy.. We crushed all of them..

Should be a real good game, and I think we are going to show up ready to play.. Even if we lose, thats a good thing too, because if we lose now then they can say "Well we won 19 in a row, now we got that one loss lets keep playing hard" Ide be scared if they were still undefeated going into the tourny, ide rather them lose now so they dont have that extreme pressure on themselves..

BUT like I said I think we win tonight and keep it going..

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Jan 25, 2005 -> 09:44 AM)
If Illinois can handle the crowd, then they can win.

I predict Wisconsin will win in a defensive game, although I think Illinois is probably more talented.

SB

you would say that wouldnt you soxBADGER :angry: :P

I do not try and hide my bias, just it is very hard for teams to win on the road, especially when you are playing against defensive minded teams.

Also I think its going to be a real rough environment, just have a feeling that most who are attending have been sitting around drinking all day just waiting to go to the Kohl Center.

I think it will be more important for Illinois to get off to a good start than Wisconsin.

Sb

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Jan 25, 2005 -> 09:57 AM)
I do not try and hide my bias, just it is very hard for teams to win on the road, especially when you are playing against defensive minded teams.

Also I think its going to be a real rough environment, just have a feeling that most who are attending have been sitting around drinking all day just waiting to go to the Kohl Center.

I think it will be more important for Illinois to get off to a good start than Wisconsin.

Sb

Yeah somewhat true, but this isnt Purdue or Michigan.. those type of teams are the type of teams I see as having little to no chance at a dominate home arena like Wisconsin where as Illinois is an unselfish team who can hit the long shot fairly consistantly.. They also play very good defense, and have tons of speed.. They are a very sound team

I can see a repeat of Wake Forrest happening where Illinois jumped out and never looked back..

but yeah I will give you the home court theory, I just think Illinois will be able to overcome it

We shall see. I agree with a lot of the previous posts. If they don't get up early, it may be over fast with the Wiscy home crowd being all over them. It will be interesting to see how they fare after the shooting night they had against Iowa at home. That'll provide some inspiration to not have something like that happen again. However, no matter how ugly/great the game is, it's an impressive win for either side. Wiscy could extend their winning streak at home to 40 and knockdown the #1. Illinois could basically solidify the unanimous vote with a win here, and snap the Wiscy home streak.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Jan 25, 2005 -> 10:08 AM)
We shall see.  I agree with a lot of the previous posts.  If they don't get up early, it may be over fast with the Wiscy home crowd being all over them.  It will be interesting to see how they fare after the shooting night they had against Iowa at home.  That'll provide some inspiration to not have something like that happen again.  However, no matter how ugly/great the game is, it's an impressive win for either side.  Wiscy could extend their winning streak at home to 40 and knockdown the #1.  Illinois could basically solidify the unanimous vote with a win here, and snap the Wiscy home streak.

If wisconsin wins it will be their 39th straight home win.

Also, i agree with cheat's thinking of the outcome.

This game will go down to the final few minutes, and it will be within 10 points...and that's the only prediction i'm going to throw out.

I have no gut feel for this game right now, and i'm not going to go with a homer call just for kicks. There's a buzz around campus already, and it's 10:30. This game of all games could go either way...there are plenty of reasons on both sides for each team to win.

My key to the game is Wilkinson. If we can control him/get him in foul trouble early (this means penetrate the lane), i think Illinois wins this game. If he goes off and dominates, which he is capable of doing, along with the huge home crowd, Wisconsin will take it.

Either way, this will not make/break our season. That isn't to say this game isn't huge, and i'm not downplaying it, but if we win it doesn't guarantee us s*** come March, and if we lose it doesn't "ruin" or season, or anything close to that. I'm just saying that after the game people shouldn't be yelling for the national championship or trashing the Illini left and right (and i won't have posts on here til 2-3am after i'm done watching the tape of the game)

To be honest, i think there is more pressure on Wisconsin in this game.

Should be a fun one.

People keep talking about Wiscy's tempo, but nobody talks about the Illini's tempo, which is fast and furious. If they can run and run early, they will run the slow footed Badgers out of the Kohl Center. Since nobody else has the balls to predict a score ;) :D I'll say 72-64 Illini...but only because of late free throws. It'll be closer than that.

A few things,

1) The pressure can not possibly be greater on Wisconsin than it is on Illinois. Even though they have a long win streak at home, they are still going to be under dogs in this game. Even if they lose, it will unlikely hurt them in the grand scheme because they are playing the number 1 team. Illinois on the other hand has to live up to expectations of being the best team in the country, and playing at a very hostile atmosphere.

2) Im not sure you can call Wisconsin slow footed, they just play a half court game. Eventhough they had Harris last year, they still played half-court style, which has been the stape of Wisconsin since Dick Bennet was the coach. They are built to slow and disrupt high scoring fast teams, where as they have generally had a bigger problem with other great half court teams, ie Pitt of last year. If a team tries to run, Wisconsin usually is able to force turn overs and eventually control the tempo.

Most likely the game will be determined beyond the 3-point arc, which ever team is hotter and can stay hotter for the longest period of time should win.

And it seems like Im the only person from Illinois to have gone to Wisconsin, so I guess I will have to post more often to try and even out the biases.

SB

No, pressure is definitely a bit higher on Wisconsin. It's their 38 game home winning streak on the line and if they have any chance of winning the Big Ten, they have to take this game. People have been pointing to this game for a long time as Illinois' first loss. Wisky can't afford to drop it while Illinois "can" and still win the Big Ten. If you think there is pressure for the undefeated season, i don't think anyone is thinking about that, nor do i even want it to be honest.

And please don't say you are underdogs in this game, because you aren't. If anything it's an even game or you are possibly favored because of the streak and how s***ty we've played up there. Now, i know what the vegas line says, but that line is only used to get the betting even on both sides, NOT predict the scoring margin or who will win. I think this game is flat out even

Its doubtful that 2 losses will make it impossible for a team to win the Big 10.

Last year Illinois won it with 3 losses, unfortunately I cant find any archive sites but I believe the 3 prior years (each of which Wisconsin tied for Big Ten Championship) that no team had less than 2 losses, ( I think 3 losses was the best).

I doubt that any team runs the table, and even Illinois if they win tonight, will probably still lose 2 games during Big 10 play.

And the pressure is from being "1", not from undefeated season. The hardest thing to do in any sport is to continually win while the big target of "1" is on your back. Every team gets up to play you, where as every game you have to look at as one that you should win.

I know that Illinois is trying to paint themselves as underdogs, and that the pressure is on Wisconsin, but while the home streak is important it is something that everyone knows will come to an end at some point.

If Wisconsin loses it will at worst, make it harder for them to outright win the Big 10 championship. They probably will not fall in the rankings unless its a blow out, they still be in the 64, they still can win the Big 10 tournament, and hell for the first time they are actually getting respect, as opposed to the last few years screw job they have gotten in terms of seeding.

As for Illinois, if they win, they did the job they were supposed to do. They momentarily are seen better, until they have to play the next game in which they can be knocked from the pedestal again. If Illinois loses, they will fall in the rankings, (how far will depend on the game, but they will not be 1). Also it may potentially put in jeapordy their 1 spot, as well as hurt their confidence. This team has not lost, so you do not know what will happen should they lose.

Wisconsin really has nothing to lose (except for a win streak that eventually will be broken and will probably never be the best streak ever), and everything to gain should they beat Illinois. Illinois has everything to lose, and nothing to gain.

When you are at the top, there is only one way you can go...

SB