NHL Lockout over?

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jan 26, 2005 -> 01:38 PM)
Columbus also has a good nucleus of some young players.  Rick Nash, and that Russian kid -- grr, his name doesn't come to mind right now (and I'm not talking about Ovechkin, either).

Boy, I hope this is true.  I miss watching some of our young Hawks like Vandermeer, Ruutu, Bell, Arny, and Calder develop.  While this isn't a real great time to be a Hawk fan, it sure is fun watching them develop -- lots of young players, no old vets (Korolev and Krapov gone!  Beautiful!  :headbang ) taking away PT from the kids.

Plus -- It'll be a joy watching our blueline develop over the next five years.  Byfuglien, Wisnewski, Babchuk, Barinka, Barker, Seabrook -- definitely a nice start, as well as a boatload of others at Norfolk...

Zherdev

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(The Critic @ Jan 26, 2005 -> 07:31 AM)
Panthers

Thrashers

Coyotes

Sabres

Penguins

Blues

Mighty Ducks

these are the teams that should go....

heh...kidding about the Blues.....sort of.....

I don't think the Ducks are going anywhere. They have struggled with attendance the past 2 years or so, but prior to that they were sellout machines and if they can draw in the area. Hell there was a crazy buzz about them during that playoff run and ticket sales were strong at the start of last year but then they fell flat on there faces.

QUOTE(Man Of Steel @ Jan 26, 2005 -> 05:57 PM)
Phoenix

Nashville

Columbus

Florida

Buffalo

are the teams that I think need to be done away with

i can agree with your list (Columbus only because I'd want the Hawks to get Nash on a contraction draft :headbang )

but i would switch out Phoenix (who have a great fan base) with Pittsburgh who are always on the verge of bankrupcy (plus it gives us the first pick in contraction draft :headbang )

QUOTE(The Critic @ Jan 28, 2005 -> 08:28 AM)
Well, so much for optimism.

Read in the Sun-Times today that both sides agree that no progress has been made and no future talks are scheduled. The talks scheduled for today were cancelled because both sides feel they're going nowhere.

Thed NHL deserves to die. Both sides of this dispute are nothing more than a bunch of money hungry children.

QUOTE(winodj @ Jan 28, 2005 -> 10:01 AM)
The players caved 90%. The money hungry children are the ones keeping the lockout going... and those would be the owners.

I about fainted when I saw the players proposal. A 24% reduction is salary is just incredible. That's more than the airlines who are hemoraging billions of dollars a year could get out of their unions, but because it doesn't offer "cost certianty" they won't listen. How about this for cost certianty, don't spend more than you make? :chair :bang

Yzerman is not hopeful.

NHL's latest offer:

Max cap 42M, Min cap 32M

- future caps linked to % of annual revenue like in the NFL

- acceptance of the NHLPA offer of a 24% across the board reduction in player's salary

- no indiv player cap (like the NBA has)

- qualifying offers reduced from 110 to 75% of a player's salary

There is a possibility this offer will be accepted because the 42M exceeds the avg annual revenue per team in '04. It certainly appears that the owners want a system similar to the NFL. There the cap is linked to 67% of league revenues. Since the NFL system has been in place the cap has grown some 30%. The answer of course is that parity & liquidity of free agent movement has led to the growth.

I have been hearing tones of reports from the U.S. like this one about how it's close to ove and s***. I can tell you though I haven't heard a Canadian report of optimism at all. I think we all know what we knew a long time ago, they'll have some serious talks again in Sept 05.

September?

Try December of 2005.

I think they have no object except to break the current union.

The ONLY glimmer I have heard (as Juggs alluded to) is that the players were softening on the cap a little because the $42 million was a higher amount then the average payroll per team last year AND they want to guarantee profit sharing all the way through.

The thing is the NFL system in the NHL will NEVER work. There's not enough revenue sources, and you can thank Gary Buttman for that.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Feb 2, 2005 -> 10:15 AM)
September?

Try December of 2005.

I think they have no object except to break the current union.

The ONLY glimmer I have heard (as Juggs alluded to) is that the players were softening on the cap a little because the $42 million was a higher amount then the average payroll per team last year AND they want to guarantee profit sharing all the way through.

The thing is the NFL system in the NHL will NEVER work.  There's not enough revenue sources, and you can thank Gary Buttman for that.

Kap, what are some extra revenue sources NHL teams could have usen if it wasn't for Bettman?

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Feb 2, 2005 -> 01:13 AM)
Kap, what are some extra revenue sources NHL teams could have usen if it wasn't for Bettman?

There's the misperception - the only way to save hockey is for the people who run the NHL to realize that hockey IS a niche sport, at least in the US anyway, and it isn't going to have the same ANYTHING as the major sports. It's not going to have the same ratings, revenues, mainstream acceptance, none of that. There are enough people who love it in certain geographical areas to support it, but it's simply not going to be a national sport. It's just NOT...

Know your place in the foodchain, fellas....or die off completely....