Addison Sox

retro1983hat

Before Comiskey II was built, there was much talk of the Sox moving to Addison. The Sox did a study that 60%+ of their fan base that used to live on the Southside, now lived in DuPage County and the Northwest Suburbs (where I live).

Anyways, my question is do you think the Sox attendance woes during the last decade would have been any different if their stadium was in the suburbs?

Speaking for myself, I probably would to the same amount of summertime weekend games, because we usually do something downtown before or afterwards. But I would for sure go to a bunch of weekday games that I currently have no way of going to because it is logistically impossible.

I would have went to a lot more games during the week...but man 60% sounds inflated. I mean the majority of the people I grew up with on the southside that moved ended up moving further south..(Orland, Tinley, Palos etc.) I can't imagine 60% of the fan base being in the west/Northwest burbs, but I could be wrong.

Why torment yourself like this? It didn't happen. Politics always plays a role in publicly funded stadiums & that's why the Cell is where it is.

If it had been built in Addison the Sox would probably avg 30K a game easy.

The area is populous & wealthy. But it didn't happen. Move on.

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Feb 3, 2005 -> 12:12 PM)
Why torment yourself like this?  It didn't happen. Politics always plays a role in publicly funded stadiums & that's why the Cell is where it is.

If it had been built in Addison the Sox would probably avg 30K a game easy.

The area is populous & wealthy.  But it didn't happen.  Move on.

OK ... just posting a question. Just wondering what people's thoughts are. Didn't mean to ruffle any feathers.

QUOTE(retro1983hat @ Feb 3, 2005 -> 12:18 PM)
OK ... just posting a question. Just wondering what people's thoughts are. Didn't mean to ruffle any feathers.

He just doesnt like topics where he cant post lines and lines of stats. I for one, wouldnt go to very many games since I live in the city. Its alot easier, I think, to come down to the south side via the train, or even 55 than go up north on 355. I honestly think that the attendance would be lower.

He just doesnt like topics where he cant post lines and lines of stats. 

You're funny. I actually could post facts & figures in this thread to support the Addison Sox 30K avg argument but I to upset right now with AL fans. Maybe it's just me. When I talk to MLB fans & non fans alike & tell them Sosa went awol & lied about in on FAN APPRECIATION DAY at Wrigley they all come to the same conclusion : what a loser!

Yet on the verge of his signing to be an O I read about surges in ticket sales for O road games across the AL. Why? Is that what we are going to see at the Cell? Are O games going to sellout because the loser is in town?

It sickens me. I can't wait to see the Unit battling the Sox at the Cell. That is going to be so cool! But Sosa? He'll always be a loser in my book until he apologizes to Cub fans for going awol on a day that is a TRIBUTE to THEM!

The Sox blew it when the built new Comiskey.  It should've been where the old McCormick place is.  Right on the water and open to the city.  But, it is where it is and Addison, while a nice town would be hard for city  folk to get to.

The Sox did not have a choice. J Jackson brokered a deal with Gov Thompson to built it where it is. The only choice the Sox had was to walk away from the deal & seek private financing.

QUOTE(TheDybber @ Feb 3, 2005 -> 07:56 PM)
The Sox blew it when the built new Comiskey.  It should've been where the old McCormick place is.  Right on the water and open to the city.  But, it is where it is and Addison, while a nice town would be hard for city  folk to get to.

Truth be told, I think that if the Sox were consistently winning, our fans would travel to friggin' Champaign to see the Sox (OK -- I'm going overboard a lot, but you get the point).

My only real problem with the stadium is that the outfield backdrop doesn't face the Chicago skyline. It'd be a much more appealing upper deck seat, IMHO, if you'd see the Comisky firework scoreboard, and right behind it, the Sears tower and the rest of the Chicago skyline...

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Feb 3, 2005 -> 03:51 PM)
Truth be told, I think that if the Sox were consistently winning, our fans would travel to friggin' Champaign to see the Sox (OK -- I'm going overboard a lot, but you get the point).

My only real problem with the stadium is that the outfield backdrop doesn't face the Chicago skyline.  It'd be a much more appealing upper deck seat, IMHO, if you'd see the Comisky firework scoreboard, and right behind it, the Sears tower and the rest of the Chicago skyline...

AMEN, I have been saying that for years. They thought the "lake view" would be better, boy were they wrong. I think they should of kept the old stadium and just did a sort of soldier field renovation on it.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Feb 3, 2005 -> 04:55 PM)
Baseball stadiums face some degree of east... it's universal.  It's in the rulebook.  If they wanted the skyline in the OF, they should have built it over by the UC.

If it would have been turned so that third base was towards the lake, that would get it done

what with living two hours from the stadium as it is, what's another half hour to me? Personally, I would rather keep stadiums closer to downtown and the actual city though if at all possible. It's neat to be able to look out from your seats and see the skyline towering over you and what not.

I like it in the city, eventually the cubs are going to have to abandon their s***hole of a field on addison st, and move to the northern burbs, I like the cell where it is. Plus bridgeport has gotten alot better in the last few years, maybe we are looking at a southside revival!!!

QUOTE(WilliamTell @ Feb 4, 2005 -> 01:12 PM)
This wouldn't have affected me at all about where the Sox would've played. But as far as Wrigley Field, they are gonna have to find a new place soon. It's a dump.

Cubs fans will never admit that it's a dump until the city makes them do something about it.

:fthecubs