If you had total control over sports...

Sorry if someone did this before, but I think it is an interesting topic. Here's my list:

-Reinstate Shoeless Joe Jackson and Buck Weaver, since their involvement in the fix was a little more questionable. Also, put Pete Rose on the Hall of Fame ballot, although all other parts of his baseball ban would remain intact.

-Move the 3-point line in college basketball back to the international distance. The 3 has become way too big a factor, and everyone on the court will shoot them. Ideally with the new distance coaches would stop giving mediocre shooters the green light, making the game look a little more like the pros.

-Make the NBDL a full minor leagues for the NBA, allowing them to retain the rights of young players that are not ready while also allowing them to get some playing time while getting paid. A rule would be included to prevent teams from sending 3 year veterans to the minors without their consent.

-Allow major league teams to trade their picks in the MLB draft to help small market teams avoid getting hurt by signability issues

-Create a salary cap system in MLB. However, I don't want it to look exactly like the NFL cap system (see next points). There would be a 100 mil max cap and a 40 mil minimum. If this causes some teams to be financially unfeasible to run, they will be dropped from the league. Also, a rule should be included stating that homegrown players will have only a portion of their salary count against the cap, allowing them to retain players that they drafted and developed.

-Create a similar rule in the NFL, allowing teams to retain players that they drafted at a lower cap hit. Player movement is disturbingly high in my opinion, and teams should be able to keep players that have been key members of their franchise instead of being forced to release them when they become older and less effective.

-NFL contracts will be at least partially guaranteed. This will make signing bonuses less crucial and prevent teams from backloading contracts and cutting the player when they start counting against the cap too much.

-Several teams will be eliminated from the NHL. The have simply overexpanded, and the league will have fewer teams to split revenue between. To compensate for this loss of jobs, a more conservative luxary tax system will be put in place than the owners are demanding.

-Create a tiered entry system into the World Series of Poker (for the record, I don't consider poker a sport, but I really would like to see this happen). Previous winners and top ranked pros will receive a bye to at least day two, maybe day three. This will create more clashes between top players and limit some of the Cinderella stories that seem to have overrun the tournament.

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Feb 4, 2005 -> 05:05 PM)
#1 on that list is to ban Nascar, poker, and any other BS activities from calling themselves sports...

NASCAR, no comment.....I am a fan of NASCAR.

but others like poker and stuff fit in as the Recreation/Leisure in the Sports/Recreation and Sports/Leisure catagories.

MLB: 120 million dollar salary cap with a 40 cellar. Also trading of draft picks in rounds 1-5 only, otherwise it could be a mess.

NBA: No age rule because that would push alot of kids that have NO interest in academics to other pro leagues until the reach 20 or whatever the age is. Instead I would offer the ability to return to school if you are drafted in the 2nd round, you just have to repay ALL debts to an agent. This would allow alot of the kids like Ousmanne Cisse etc who got horrible information that ruined their careers to return and have another chance.

NHL: I don't know alot about hockey. But, I had an idea of creating a world league. Leave like 16 teams from the NHL from Canada and US, and have like 16 teams from all over the world. I know that would be a hell of a travel expense. But it would get rid of alot of the markets that the NHL just doesn't belong in and would allow alot of these players to play at home more often. You could break up the schedule into parts of the world so you wouldn't travel from Russia to Toronto, to Sweden. You could have the North American part of your schedule for a while, then go overseas for a portion. Yeah I know its nuts, sue me.

NFL: not much I would change at all.

Ice Skating: get rid of it :lol:

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Feb 4, 2005 -> 05:26 PM)
Instead I would offer the ability to return to school if you are drafted in the 2nd round, you just have to repay ALL debts to an agent. This would allow alot of the kids like Ousmanne Cisse etc who got horrible information that ruined their careers to return and have another chance.

I think Mississippi State star Mario Austin is just about the #1 example of bad information given to a college player by a jackass agent. Dude got some bad info and it f***ed up his life. Fun fact: he was drafted by the Bulls with the 36th pick in the 2003 NBA Draft.

Draft2003_AustinMario.jpg

Palehose, I like your first two ideas. I never thought of how messy it would be if you could trade all of your 50 rounds worth of picks. I agree on the age limit thing, I think if you are good enough to cut it, you should be able to play. However, I think guys need to have an option if something goes wrong, IE Cisse and Austin. The NBDL, ABA,and Europe don't seem to cut it under their current setup, and in a lot of cases I think that if they had space for them they'd keep guys around. Plus guys like Darco that get picked early but aren't ready to contribute could get some playing time.

I'd disband the Yankees first of all.

Second, I'd institute one-year contracts for all athletes.

Third, I'd deny Steinbrenner the right to own any sports team in any league anywhere.

Fourth, I'd deny Mariotti any press credentials for any game in any league anywhere.

Next, I'd banish Gary Bettman and Bob Goodenow to a deserted island together, so for the rest of their lives they would only have each other to talk to.

Then I'd get me a beer. Hacker-Pschorr, of course...

Let underclassmen/high schoolers (that don't want to study and learn in college), come out early so that they don't mess up college football. Create a developmental league in the USA for the NFL and send them to it for 2-4 years.

Create a program via a joint effort with the NCAA and professional sports. It would guarantee every failed pro athlete in any sport, a second chance on getting a college degree if they want one.

This is a dream we are asking for... right? :)

There are 3 things I would do immediately:

1. Fold the packers franchise and strike all of thier records from history.

2. Fold the Red Wings franchise and strike all of thier records from history.

3. Fold the cubs franchise and strike all of thier records from history.

Once that is done, then I would cap all athletes salaries. I don't know the exact figure yet, but it would be different for each sport.

Then I would cap the price owners charge for a seat at their teams event. It would be in line with the reduced salary for players.

Finally, I would cap the price of Parking for these events. There is no way parking should cost as much as the ticket.

Put a wrecking ball through the Friendly Confines.

Move a baseball team to Mexico or San Juan. Maybe even Havana, once Castro dies.

Eliminate the Superbowl dead week.

Offer Warren Sapp and Sammy Sosa a lifetime ban. Just because.

Put Shoeless Joe and Pete Rose in the hall automatically.

Make any sports league that puts over half the league in the playoffs get one year to change or fold.