USA Today

Melissa1334

i was reading the usa today sports weekly, found some interesting stuff in their

1) They said that freddy was our ace(i thought it was mark :huh )

2)Mark and Freddy will be held under 200 ip(isnt that a little?, mark pitched atleast 220 the last few years plus led the league last season.)

3)that because we got Tad, willies value goes down :huh

what i dont get is that they said the sox have really changed our team and have perhaps one of the best pitching staffs in the league, also one of the best bullpens in the league. plus the sox have a really fast team and good defense....then why are we predicted to finish as low as 4th? just wonderg what yous thoght and if yous read it...oh the sox were on the front cover..

Edited by Melissa1334

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Feb 11, 2005 -> 12:27 PM)
It should be Mark, equally talented as Freddie, but his tenure with the Sox should give him the edge.  IMO.

Mark doesnt have ACE stuff. I think Freddy is the ace with Mark being the most reliable. But as far as having the ability to shut down opposing teams, I think Freddy has more.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Feb 11, 2005 -> 03:02 PM)
Mark doesnt have ACE stuff.  I think Freddy is the ace with Mark being the most reliable.  But as far as having the ability to shut down opposing teams, I think Freddy has more.

I agree. I think both Mark and Freddy are number 2s, but Freddy has #1 ability. What? :huh: Yeah, its confusing to me too.

An ace is someone like Schilling or Randy Johnson, something we do not have.

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ Feb 11, 2005 -> 03:39 PM)
I agree.  I think both Mark and Freddy are number 2s, but Freddy has #1 ability.  What? :huh:  Yeah, its confusing to me too.

An ace is someone like Schilling or Randy Johnson, something we do not have.

I agree 100%...they're better number ones than most teams number ones. An ace would be Santana, Halladay, Schilling etc. Loaiza two years ago was an ace to me...just shut people down.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Feb 11, 2005 -> 12:27 PM)
It should be Mark, equally talented as Freddie, but his tenure with the Sox should give him the edge.  IMO.

Agreed. Freddy has the better stuff but I have more confidence in Buehrle getting out of a critical jam or winning an important game. Buehrle is a smarter pitcher than Garcia.

QUOTE(Melissa1334 @ Feb 11, 2005 -> 11:57 AM)
what i dont get is that they said the sox have really changed our team and have perhaps one of the best pitching staffs in the league, also one of the best bullpens in the league. plus the sox have a really fast team and good defense....then why are we predicted to finish as low as 4th? just wonderg what yous thoght and if yous read it...oh the sox were on the front cover..

This just seems like the trend for national writers. Everyone is drinking the Tigers and Indians Kool Aid. I, like most people here don't buy it, but we are going to hear it until the games are played. It should light a fire under the Sox this year.

It is strange, everyone stresses pitching and defense so much. Then the Sox improve in both aspects and we are going to get worse. :huh

Agreed. Freddy has the better stuff but I have more confidence in Buehrle getting out of a critical jam or winning an important game. Buehrle is a smarter pitcher than Garcia.

What they are looking at along with ERA is K-BB. Garcia has a better K-BB than Mark so that gives him the nod over Mark. K-BB really shouldn't be affected by where you

play.

04 Freddy G':

Pre-All Star 3.45era 127.2ip 35W 105K .240 K-W = 70

Pos-All Star 4.37era 82.1ip 29W 079K .244 K-W = 82*

*projected to 127ip is 40W, 122K.

04 Mark B's:

Pre-All Star 4.03era 127.1ip 25w 98k .285 K-W = 73

Pos-All Star 3.74era 118.0ip 26w 67k .256 K-W = 41*

*projected to 127ip is 31W, 72K

As you can see Freddy maintained his K-W power in the 2nd 1/2 but Mark

didn't. I think that's why most analysts consider Freddy as the ace.

Mark B 02-04 k-bb

Pre All-Star 3.95 392 106 240 0.271 134

Pos All-Star 3.77 322.2 67 178 0.269 111 (135*)

Freddy G 02-04

Pre All-Star 3.76 378.1 102 293 0.238 191

Pos All-Star 4.94 256.2 96 216 0.272 120 (177*)

*projected to 392ip 82W, 217K

*projected to 378ip 141W, 318K

Marky is pretty balanced. ERA, KK-B, & BAvs are pretty consistent in both. Fredy is better than Mark in the Pre but worse in the Pos. His KK-B is fairly consistent though.

Garcia's the exact opposite of Radke. It's so errie looking at the 3yr avgs for the both it's scary. If you could combine them you'd have one of the very best pitchers in the game.

Edited by JUGGERNAUT

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Feb 11, 2005 -> 06:48 PM)
i dont care what kind of stuff they have its not like greg maddux had great stuff its if you know how to pitch and give me Buehrle over Garcia in that category.

Exactly. Buherle flat out wins games. I'd take 5 Buherles over 5 Garcias any day of the week.