Around The Majors

• Replies 871
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 18, 2005 -> 02:34 AM)
I was stuck on the phone for 45 minutes listening to my GF b**** so I made this while pretending to listen to her. I'm f***ing evil, I know.

pierzinskicubs7qf.gif

Why the f*** would you do that?? :puke

Kenji johjima is coming over from japan next year... alot more japanese players should be making up their minds soon whether they are coming over next year.

Kenji is a similar player to iguchi... very.

He's improved his averages, his power, and his ability to take a walk in each of the last two seasons. Such a broad-based improvement speaks well of him. He's due to become a free agent after the 2005 season, so his team might opt to post him. He's captured the last six Gold Gloves for catching in the Pacific League, so you've got to think he's got the tools to be at least decent behind the plate, even in the majors. One question is his ability to communicate with his pitchers. It's hard to underestimate the importance of pitcher/catcher communication, and a language barrier can't help in that area. On the other hand, Tony Pena managed for a while with poor English, so it can be done. I just want to know if Jojima can do it. I'd like to know more about his arm, but even if it isn't great, you could live with it for a catcher who hits .300 and slugs .500 and should otherwise be solid behind the plate.

johjima.kenji.gif

Btw, gabe kapler sucks. He got f***ing cut in japan.

Edited by qwerty

rumor---

Here's what's moving through the Twins' grapevine these days:

The Red Sox have called the Twins looking for pitching. Boston is believed to be interested in lefthander J.C. Romero, who could help stabilize a bullpen that had a 5.51 ERA entering Monday -- the second-highest in the American League.

The Twins, of course, are looking for hitting, and the Red Sox might be willing to deal veteran third baseman Bill Mueller, who is batting .277 with four homers, 36 RBI and a .379 on-base percentage.

Mueller was the 2003 AL batting champion when he hit .326 with 19 homers and 85 RBI. Those numbers fell to .283, 12 and 57 last year. He is making $2.5 million and will be a free agent after the season.

First baseman-outfielder Kevin Millar also is available, although he indicated to Boston reporters he would prefer to stay with the World Series champions

http://www.startribune.com/stories/509/5513393.html

Zito and Harden have just dominated their last four combined starts.

Zito's last two starts -- 15 IP, 1 ER, 7 H, 4 BBs.

Harden's last two starts -- 17.2 IP, 1 ER, 6 H, 3 W. Nine baserunners in almost 18 innings... amazing.

And that's a start each against Texas and LAofA.

Oakland is 6.5 behind Anahiem, and 2.5 behind Minny/New York for the Wildcard... The AL West is getting interesting.

Everybody's favorite Japanese pitcher getting talked about...

coreyk626 (Chicago, IL) :  When (if ever) will a major league team sign Daisuke Matsuzaka, and how much of an injury timebomb is he?

Will Carroll: A boy can dream. Matsuzaka should come over next year since he will be a free agent. I will personally guarantee that he will not be injured in his first season if his new team allows him to continue doing what he's done. His workout regimen is amazing, but very unconventional.

http://baseballprospectus.com/chat/chat.php?chatId=131

BLOCKBUSTER!!!

Yankees acquired second baseman Joe Thurston from the Dodgers for a player to be named.

Thurston looked like a long-term regular when he hit .334/.372/.506 for Triple-A Las Vegas as a 22-year-old in 2002, but he's gone backwards every year since and was hitting .288/.326/.412 for Las Vegas this season. That he's outperformed Tony Womack this year doesn't make him a major leaguer. He'll almost surely be assigned to Triple-A Columbus. Jul. 30 - 3:24 am et