Around The Majors

• Replies 871
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When do they announce the Gold Glove winners?

The beginning of November. You don't think Rowand has a chance, do you? They only pick guys with good offensive numbers. Vernon Wells will win it again anyways.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/stats/fieldi...umn=fieldingPct

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Oct 19, 2005 -> 04:07 AM)
The beginning of November.  You don't think Rowand has a chance, do you?  They only pick guys with good offensive numbers.  Vernon Wells will win it again anyways.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/stats/fieldi...umn=fieldingPct

Rowand's offensive numbers would be good enough to win a gold glove if he played for the Yankees. He's not popular enough to get that kind of recognition, next year he'll have a shot after a few more people learn his name.

Rowand's offensive numbers would be good enough to win a gold glove if he played for the Yankees.  He's not popular enough to get that kind of recognition, next year he'll have a shot after a few more people learn his name.

I agree. But for this season, Vernon Wells' defensive numbers are arguably better than Rowand's and he has the offensive numbers as well.

I still don't know what 3 outfielders are going to win GGs this year in the AL.

Last years winner; Wells, Ichiro and Hunter would be the favorites for this year as well I guess.

Since Torii missed so much damn time this year due to injury I doubt he'll get much consideration for a GG, so his spot opens.

This makes Wells and Ichiro near locks to win again this year but a spot is open and I can't really think of another name that jumps out at me.

I guess maybe Kotsay and Rowand might battle it out for the 3rd spot.

I still don't know what 3 outfielders are going to win GGs this year in the AL.

Last years winner; Wells, Ichiro and Hunter would be the favorites for this year as well I guess.

Since Torii missed so much damn time this year due to injury I doubt he'll get much consideration for a GG, so his spot opens.

This makes Wells and Ichiro near locks to win again this year but a spot is open and I can't really think of another name that jumps out at me.

I guess maybe Kotsay and Rowand might battle it out for the 3rd spot.

Good points. Wells and Ichiro are probably locks but the third GG is up for grabs. Rowand actually has a chance.

The Akron Beacon Journal's Terry Pluto believes the Indians won't be interested in Jim Thome even if the Phillies are willing to pay two-thirds of what he's owed over the next three years.

Both Thome and Manny Ramirez would have some interest in returning to Cleveland, but the Indians aren't looking to add high-priced talent. Much of the money they have to spend will go towards re-signing Kevin Millwood or bringing in a replacement. Oct. 23 - 3:46 am et

Thome scares the hell of me injury wise... but if they paid two thirds of his contract you have to do it right?

QUOTE(qwerty @ Oct 23, 2005 -> 04:09 PM)
Thome scares the hell of me injury wise... but if they paid two thirds of his contract you have to do it right?

Absolutely, no questions asked. You're never paying more than $5 mil/year for him that way. Considering we give that kind of dough to Carl Everett, this is a no brainer. Don't know what we'd have to give up though...

QUOTE(3E8 @ Oct 23, 2005 -> 11:22 PM)
Absolutely, no questions asked.  You're never paying more than $5 mil/year for him that way.  Considering we give that kind of dough to Carl Everett, this is a no brainer.  Don't know what we'd have to give up though...

If they're eating that much salary, it's gotta be big time talent. I'd imagine they'd try to pry away B-Mac (obviously not happening). I'm not really sure what they'll actually get in trade though, it should be interesting.

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Oct 24, 2005 -> 08:39 AM)
If they're eating that much salary, it's gotta be big time talent. I'd imagine they'd try to pry away B-Mac (obviously not happening). I'm not really sure what they'll actually get in trade though, it should be interesting.

I'm not so sure about that. If Philly wants to get rid of Thome which they basically need to do then they're going to have to eat a huge portion of that salary.

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Infielders Damian Jackson and Bernie Castro signed one-year, free-agent contracts with the Washington Nationals on Thursday.

The moves were announced a few hours after general manager Jim Bowden's contract extension.

The 32-year-old Jackson offers versatility and speed: He appeared at six defensive positions for the San Diego Padres this season (second base, third base, shortstop and all three outfield spots) and stole 15 bases in 17 attempts.

After hitting .255 with five homers and 23 RBIs in 118 games in 2005, he cleared waivers this month and elected free agency. He's a .245 career hitter with 132 stolen bases in stints with seven major league clubs since 1996.

Castro, a 26-year-old second baseman who made his big league debut in 2005, batted .288 with six steals in 24 games with Baltimore. He hit .315 and stole 41 bases in 47 attempts at Triple-A Ottawa.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Oct 24, 2005 -> 10:44 PM)
I'm not so sure about that.  If Philly wants to get rid of Thome which they basically need to do then they're going to have to eat a huge portion of that salary.

I understand his value isn't as high as it once was, but what's the point in trading him if you're going to end up eating 2/3 of his salary and not get anything good in return? Typically with the salary dump style trades, the amount of talent they receive in return goes up with the amount of money the team eats, and vice-versa. If they're going to have to pay like $10 mil of his contract every year for the life of his contract, I'd imagine they'll want at least a top prospect in return. It just doesn't seem like it'd be worth the approximate $5 mil a year savings otherwise.

On the other hand, it's conceivable they'll just take what they can get to make room for Ryan Howard. This trade is a little different than previous deals because, A: Thome's health is a bigger issue than it has been with previous salary dump trades, and B: They have what appears to be a superstar in the making in Ryan Howard who plays the same position.

As I said, I'll be very interested to see what happens. Obviously they'll try to get the best package of money saved/talent they can get, but who knows exactly what that'll be. Somone could be willing to eat a good portion of the money, making things more interesting.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

The single best possible situation possible for the Phillies is that they trade Ryan Howard for another stud prospect at a different position, and Thome returns healthy and puts up another Thome-worthy season. It is however, the riskiest scenario as well.

The inbetween scenario for the Phillies is to take whatever they can get for Thome knowing that it will cost them a lot to get rid of him.

A slightly worse scenario for the Phillies is to hold onto both of them, play Thome as the most expensive backup in the league, and just hope he turns it back on next year. (Here we'd be thinking Sammy Sosa if he'd stsayed with the Cubs).

The worst possible scenario for the Phillies is they Trade Ryan Howard for someone, maybe who ends up disappointing, and Thome never returns to form and is constantly hurt until he retires.

Nationals announced RHP Esteban Loaiza declined his portion of a $4.5 million mutual option for 2006.

The Nationals picked up their half, but they knew this was going to happen. Loaiza asked the team for a three-year, $21 million contract.

I think that you won't find a prospect with as little risk as Howard in return. I say that because Howard is older and proven at the big league level as a hitter. The cons are that he can only play one position, and that is a position that the league has no shortage of good players at. Lastly, teams know Philly HAS to do something, which probably lessens their returns. If I were KC, I might think about offering Billy Butler and Andy Sisco or something like that to get a thumper in the lineup. Same goes for Pittsburgh. How about Oliver Perez for Ryan Howard? Would make sense for both teams

Washington is an extreme pitcher's park. For the next couple of years, while they wait for their new stadium, they would be smart to sign lots of guys like Loaiza. -- Players on the cheap, who have a high flyball rate would stand to benefit the most. -- Sign them to 2 year deals, backloaded. When they put up a sweet ERA in the first season, you can ship them out for actual good players in return.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Oct 29, 2005 -> 04:54 PM)
Washington is an extreme pitcher's park. For the next couple of years, while they wait for their new stadium, they would be smart to sign lots of guys like Loaiza. -- Players on the cheap, who have a high flyball rate would stand to benefit the most. -- Sign them to 2 year deals, backloaded. When they put up a sweet ERA in the first season, you can ship them out for actual good players in return.

Have you been reading me at Nats Blog?

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Oct 29, 2005 -> 05:27 PM)
Sadly, No.

Had you mentioned something on BB, I might have. I think we discussed it over at BTF recently.

http://thenats.blogspot.com/2005/10/nats-p...tegy-alert.html

Same strategy - get flyball pitchers, churn them into prospects/position players.

When your park favors hitting, get pitchers. When your park favors pitching, get hitters.

P.S., DM is a great writer and great mind for baseball. His WV scoring is really innovative.

Edited by BlackBetsy

According to the Boston Globe, Theo Epstein has agreed to a three-year deal to remain the general manager of the Red Sox.

It could be announced today or tomorrow. Epstein is expected to make close to the $1.5 million per year he was requesting. Oct. 31 - 3:13 am et