Around The Majors

And yet Tampa Bay could deal him (although look at the source). Can you imagine Kazmir with Leo Mazzone?

"Peter Gammons reported that Tampa Bay is considering trading Scott Kazmir and Bobby Seay to Atlanta for Andy Marte and Ryan Langerhans, and our NL scout said, 'When Kazmir calms down and learns how to pitch, he's going to be nasty. If they do that deal, it must be that they're not happy with his makeup.'"

• Replies 871
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Apr 3, 2005 -> 07:55 AM)
And yet Tampa Bay could deal him (although look at the source). Can you imagine Kazmir with Leo Mazzone?

Could you imagine the Mets having to face Kazmir about 4 times a year?

LOL...they would feel real smart, trading him away and then having him traded again.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Apr 3, 2005 -> 01:53 PM)
Rangers almost dealt Soriano;

Just a thought, but if Contreras is still struggling in June/July, I wonder if a Contreras for Soriano swap could work. They're desperate for pitching, and both sides would be (if it turns out that Contreras doesn't have his head on straight, this year) wanting to get rid of the players.

Where to put Soriano would be another question, but Ozzie would make room for another speedster.

Just a thought... 'Tis all.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Apr 3, 2005 -> 07:56 PM)
Just a thought, but if Contreras is still struggling in June/July, I wonder if a Contreras for Soriano swap could work.  They're desperate for pitching, and both sides would be (if it turns out that Contreras doesn't have his head on straight, this year) wanting to get rid of the players. 

Where to put Soriano would be another question, but Ozzie would make room for another speedster.

Just a thought...  'Tis all.

Just for reference sake, here are Soriano's stats for the past 3 seasons.

Year Ag Tm  Lg  G AB    R    H 2B 3B  HR  RBI  SB CS  BB  SO BA OBP SLG TB SH  SF IBB HBP GDP

+--------------+---+----+----+----+---+--+---+----+---+--+---+---+-----+-----+-----+----+---+---+---+---+---+

2002 26 NYY AL 156  696  128  209  51  2  39  102  41 13  23 157  .300  .332  .547  381 1 7 1  14 8

2003 27 NYY AL 156  682  114  198  36  5  38 91  35  8  38 130  .290  .338  .525  358 0 2 7  12 8

2004 28 TEX AL 145  608 77  170  32  4  28 91  18  5  33 121  .280  .324  .484  294 0 7 4  10 7

He really seems to struggle with the strike zone. I realized he K'd a lot but I didn't know it was that bad.

QUOTE(SoxFanForever @ Apr 3, 2005 -> 09:14 PM)
Just for reference sake, here are Soriano's stats for the past 3 seasons.

He really seems to struggle with the strike zone.  I realized he K'd a lot but I didn't know it was that bad.

Right.

I was thinking more along the lines of, one bad contract for another bad contract, except Soriano's (I think) is done at the end of this year, while Contreras' takes it into 2006. But, maybe Texas is hoping they can fix his problems...

I don't know what Ozzie would like or hate more, the fact that he's fast and has a ton of power, or the fact that he strikes out a zillion times a year...

EDIT: And anyways, there wouldn't be a place to put him, unless Podsednik struggles or Dye gets hurt. That way, we could put Soriano in center and move Rowand over to right/left.

Bah, ok, it's not happening, so I'll just move on. :banghead

Edited by CWSGuy406

Sori for Contreras isn't a bad suggestion. It doesn;t fit now but sometimes these things work themselves out. I was a big Jose backer but, and I know spring isn't supposed to mena much, hes reall concerned me with not taking that next step yet in a Sox uniform. In fact he's really regressed. I bet Florida, with Valdez, is willing to listen to a trade offer in a few months.

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Apr 3, 2005 -> 09:50 PM)
Sori for Contreras isn't a bad suggestion. It doesn;t fit now but sometimes these things work themselves out. I was a big Jose backer but, and I know spring isn't supposed to mena much, hes reall concerned me with not taking that next step yet in a Sox uniform. In fact he's really regressed. I bet Florida, with Valdez, is willing to listen to a trade offer in a few months.

It may be good for us, but it won't happen. If Contreras can't turn it around NOW, he will be seen by everyone as just another bad pitcher. (Actually, that's how most people think of him now.) Soriano is a hacker, but that's not a big enough flaw to wipe out everything he does well (excellent power, speed, and still manages a .320-.330 obp, which isn't disastrous, even if it isn't good). It could only happen, imo, if Contreras has a surprisingly good first half.

One interesting thing -- Placido Polanco was named the starting 2b for the Phils over Chase Utley after they each had a tremendous spring. The surprising part is that everyone thought they had committed to Utley as the starter, while Polanco would be the utility guy (which Polanco b****ed about). While PP had a somewhat better spring overall, I don't think it would be enough to change my mind if I had already decided.

Philly's infield situation getting the more interesting;

"The Phils had hoped to sign shortstop Jimmy Rollins to a multiyear contract extension before today, but that didn't happen. And that means contract talks have been suspended until after the season because Rollins doesn't want them to become a distraction."

Nakamura back to Japan already?

"The Dodgers have assigned infielder Norihiro Nakamura to triple-A Las Vegas, but Nakamura has told team officials he might not report there."

I'll admit, I havent read al lthe way through this thread as of yet, but heres one thing that stuck out to me i nthe Colorado game, and yeah it could of already been said:

Colorado  AB R H RBI BB SO LOB AVG

Miles, 2B  6  3 5 1    0    0    0 .833

QUOTE(Capn12 @ Apr 5, 2005 -> 01:13 PM)
I'll admit, I havent read al lthe way through this thread as of yet, but heres one thing that stuck out to me i nthe Colorado game, and yeah it could of already been said:

I feel sorry for Jeff Francis, I really do. He's bolting as soon as he hits FA.

QUOTE(Capn12 @ Apr 5, 2005 -> 03:13 AM)

Even if Miles eventually made the hall of fame, I'd like the Uribe trade. The Sox needed a SS like Uribe. The Sox are set at 2b with Iguchi and Harris.

QUOTE(Spiff @ Apr 4, 2005 -> 11:27 AM)
Pudge Rodriguez looks tiny this year. :melt

Dude no kidding..

I saw Detroit play in a ST game on TV and I thought it was someone else batting..

On another note did anyone see the Muts cut Wilson Valdez and now he is with Seattle? I didn't know that till now. Bad week for him I guess.

Just days after being claimed by Seattle on waivers, Wilson Valdez will be the Mariners' Opening Day shortstop.

With both Pokey Reese and Jose Lopez hurting, and Ramon Santiago in the minors, Valdez gets the nod. ''We decided this is the way we wanted to go,'' general manager Bill Bavasi said. ''We were looking to shore up the position, create some depth and not have to bring up a prospect to play.'' Apr. 4 - 6:38 am et

Source: Seattle Times

Edited by EvilJester99

QUOTE(EvilJester99 @ Apr 5, 2005 -> 11:05 AM)
On another note did anyone see the Muts cut Wilson Valdez and now he is with Seattle? I didn't know that till now. Bad week for him I guess.

bad week?

He went from possible cut on our team to starting SS for the Mariners... That doesnt seem all that bad to me :P

Latest News Apr. 5, 2005 - 1:40 pm et

Ryan Freel was charged Monday night with with drunken driving, careless driving and having an open container in a motor vehicle.

Freel is scheduled for arraignment Wednesday morning. This probably won't affect his status with the Reds, but it shouldn't help him with his status as a fan favorite.

I am a huge Ryan Freel fan but after this, I don't know. :headshake

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Apr 5, 2005 -> 09:52 PM)
Smoltz return to the rotation?

Not Good

1.2IP 7ER

GHCiv, great idea on picking up Lowe. I know one game doesn't matter, but 7 IP, 2 ER, and something like 5-6 K's with a good WHIP.

And Benitez picked up the save, so that's great news for fantasy. :headbang