White Sox @ Tribe - 4/13/05 Official Game Thread

DBAHO

Thought I'd start my first game thread of the season. Let's hope the Sox can get onto Lee early again, Jose can continue on the way he pitched in his 1st start, and the Sox can get the job done. A win here, and the chances of a season sweep are quite good, I'll put my money on El Duque over Scott Elarton in the next game any day of the week. :headbang :cheers :gosox3:

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am pulling for contreras. It would be HUGE if he started off the season with back-to-back quality starts.

Well, he's facing the Indians again so the odds are in his favor...

Contreras vs. Cleveland:

3 career starts (2 starts last season and 1 this season)

1-0 record

1.31 ERA

0.92 WHIP

.195 BAA

20.2 IP

15 H

3 R

3 ER

0 HR

4 BB

19 SO

That's pretty sick.

Edited by Jabroni

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Apr 13, 2005 -> 04:36 AM)
Thought I'd start my first game thread of the season. Let's hope the Sox can get onto Lee early again, Jose can continue on the way he pitched in his 1st start, and the Sox can get the job done. A win here, and the chances of a season sweep are quite good, I'll put my money on El Duque over Scott Elarton in the next game any day of the week.  :headbang  :cheers  :gosox3:

You realize, of couse, that if Contreras sucks today, you are in deep s***!

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Apr 13, 2005 -> 06:11 AM)
Well, he's facing the Indians again so the odds are in his favor...

Contreras vs. Cleveland:

3 career starts (2 starts last season and 1 this season)

1-0 record

1.31 ERA

0.92 WHIP

.195 BAA

20.2 IP

15 H

3 R

3 ER

0 HR

4 BB

19 SO

That's pretty sick.

Those are rpetty convincing numbers against teh Tribe. Lets hope we get Jose some run support, we are about due for an offensive breakout game IMO. Lets make this a game where we don't have to worry about a save! :headbang

We need 6 strong from Jose. If we get 6 strong-the bullpen should handle the rest. It's been awhile since Cotts, Hermanson and Vizcaino got into a game, I can see Ozzie plugging them in tonites game.

I think if our offense gives Jose 4 runs to work with-he should be just fine.

Contreras visits the mound Wednesday

White Sox (5-2) at Cleveland (3-4), 6:05 p.m. CT

They opened the 2005 season with a 1-0 victory over Cleveland and have since defeated the Indians by the slimmest of margins two more times, including the home opener at Jacobs Field on Monday. The South Siders hope to make a little easier work of the Indians on Wednesday, after an off day, with Jose Contreras taking the mound.

Contreras threw six solid innings during his first start against the Indians at U.S. Cellular Field, one of six quality starts from the White Sox rotation during the first seven games. But Contreras was deprived of a victory when closer Shingo Takatsu allowed three solo home runs in the ninth and the Indians rallied to win in the 11th.

Look for A.J. Pierzynski to return to the starting lineup after getting two days off behind the plate. Manager Ozzie Guillen also has talked about putting Ross Gload in at first base for one game with the intention of getting the left-hander a few more at-bats.

The White Sox have a 3-1 record against Cleveland in head-to-head matchups during 2005.

Pitching matchup

CWS: RHP Jose Contreras

• 0-0, 1.50 ERA in 2005

• 0-0, 1.50 in 2005 vs. CLE

CLE: LHP Cliff Lee

• 0-0, 13.50 ERA in 2005

• 0-0, 13.50 in 2005 vs. CWS

Player to watch

Scott Podsednik had two hits, his fourth stolen base and the game-winning RBI during Monday's 2-1 victory over the Indians. Podsednik has hit in five straight starts, raising his average to .280, but could be a game-time decision Wednesday because of a strained right groin.

Quotable

"You get the first game of the series, and that usually becomes the most important. You get that out of the way and build up some momentum." -- White Sox catcher Chris Widger on the importance of winning the series opener.

On television

• CWS: Comcast SportsNet

• CLE: Fox SportsNet

On radio

• CWS: ESPN Radio, 94.7 The Zone

• CLE: WTAM 1100

Quick hits

White Sox starters are 4-1 with a 2.44 ERA through their first seven starts. Six of those efforts were quality starts. ... Freddy Garcia's 86th victory ranks him second behind Wilson Alvarez's 101 victories for the lead among Venezuelan pitchers. ... Garcia is 10-0 with a 2.29 ERA during the day since the beginning of last season and has not lost during the day since Sept. 3, 2003, at Baltimore. ... Podsednik has hit in each of his last five starts. His hitting streak ended Sunday night during a pinch-hit appearance in Minnesota. ... Carl Everett has hit safely in six straight games. He is batting .391 with seven RBIs during that stretch. ... The White Sox finished 3-0 this season while playing in home openers. They won their own, at Minnesota and again at Cleveland. ... The White Sox are 3-1 on this six-game road trip, 3-1 in day games and 5-2 against the American League Central.

On deck

• Thursday: White Sox at Cleveland, 6:05 p.m.

• Friday: Mariners at White Sox, 7:05 p.m.

• Saturday: Mariners at White Sox, 1:05 p.m.

Here's hoping Spod is healthy enough to continue tearing up the basepaths.

:gosox1:

Edited by robinventura23

QUOTE(iWiN4PreP @ Apr 13, 2005 -> 03:07 PM)
and to the guy who said days go slow without games.. Completely AGREED.

Yesterday i got home from skool slept til 7 went outside til 8 did nothing til 11pm went to bed til 6am then went skool lolol

Girl.. :lol: