nicknames

frahungski

i don't know about the opinions of the rest of you guys, but i think modern nicknames suck ass. it seems like the majority of them are either the first letter of the first name, plus the first 3 letters of the last name; or are just the name with a "y" at the end. a-rod, a-row, s-pod, paulie, booney, etc. many teams don't even have real nicknames. the cardinals and cubs for instance. one name that is very cool is El Duque, but that's about it for cool names that i can think of. what happened to "the Deacon," or "Black Jack," or "Paco Martin," "Batman," "Rock Raines" "One Dog" "Officer Karkovice." maybe it's just me, but nicknames nowadays are weak.

QUOTE(frahungski @ Apr 19, 2005 -> 11:52 AM)
i don't know about the opinions of the rest of you guys, but i think modern nicknames suck ass.  it seems like the majority of them are either the first letter of the first name, plus the first 3 letters of the last name; or are just the name with a "y" at the end.  a-rod, a-row, s-pod, paulie, booney, etc.  many teams don't even have real nicknames.  the cardinals and cubs for instance.  one name that is very cool is El Duque, but that's about it for cool names that i can think of.  what happened to "the Deacon,"  or "Black Jack," or "Paco Martin,"  "Batman," "Rock Raines" "One Dog" "Officer Karkovice."  maybe it's just me, but nicknames nowadays are weak.

I agree. A-Rod isn't a nickname, it's an acronym.

i don't know about the opinions of the rest of you guys, but i think modern nicknames suck ass.  it seems like the majority of them are either the first letter of the first name, plus the first 3 letters of the last name; or are just the name with a "y" at the end.  a-rod, a-row, s-pod, paulie, booney, etc.  many teams don't even have real nicknames.  the cardinals and cubs for instance.  one name that is very cool is El Duque, but that's about it for cool names that i can think of.  what happened to "the Deacon,"  or "Black Jack," or "Paco Martin,"  "Batman," "Rock Raines" "One Dog" "Officer Karkovice."  maybe it's just me, but nicknames nowadays are weak.

your avatar>>>>>>> modern nick names

rockraines rules

QUOTE(frahungski @ Apr 19, 2005 -> 01:52 PM)

Don't forget the best one of all: The Big Hurt!!

The only one doing it with any success is Hawk. Chris Berman's can be funny, but are too long and/or hit or miss. I don't know what other announcers do, but from the few I've heard, they don't actively search out a good one, i.e. The Milkman, El Caballo, One Dog, etc.

You are right, it is very sad.

QUOTE(TheDybber @ Apr 19, 2005 -> 02:32 PM)
The only one doing it with any success is Hawk.  Chris Berman's can be funny,  but are too long and/or hit or miss.  I don't know what other announcers do, but from the few I've heard, they don't actively search out a good one, i.e. The Milkman, El Caballo, One Dog, etc. 

You are right, it is very sad.

i like peapod for willie

QUOTE(WilliamTell @ Apr 19, 2005 -> 01:16 PM)
I'd have to agree with that. When I played little league baseball, a lot of kids put "The Little Hurt" on the back of their jerseys. Did any of you also see that?

Did Craig Grebeck happen to play on your little league team?

QUOTE(WilliamTell @ Apr 19, 2005 -> 03:16 PM)
I'd have to agree with that. When I played little league baseball, a lot of kids put "The Little Hurt" on the back of their jerseys. Did any of you also see that?

Ya I had that on some of my jerseys, but haven't seen any. Mainly because I dont live in Chi-Town.

QUOTE(Pauly8509CWS @ Apr 19, 2005 -> 08:15 PM)
Nothin' like Slappy - Mike Caruso.  Hell you don't have to be a good player to get a decent nickname.  But the acronym thingy is getting old fast and Chris Berman has been lame since he started the middle name thing before I was born.

I believe the acronym thing is popular do to message boards. ARod is easier type than Alex Rodriguez. People are generally lazy when it comes to this type of thing.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Apr 20, 2005 -> 01:38 AM)
I believe the acronym thing is popular do to message boards.  ARod is easier type than Alex Rodriguez.  People are generally lazy when it comes to this type of thing.

Whattya mean "lazy", YAS?

:D

The fact is, Hawk has a knack for coining catchy nicknames and Berman creates nicknames that no one would ever really use. They're far too long, ALWAYS too corny and dated, and they get old almost immediately.

...and I would be remiss if I didn't tip my cap to Sox And Roll's own Guido, who used to call Gary Glover "G. Lover". I still chuckle a little bit about that one. :)