Best Sports Calls

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Apr 29, 2005 -> 02:42 PM)
I was just pointing out that you were being biased.

That was a great game.  Don't hate.

Double OT does not make it a great game. It was poorly played by both teams and both teams shot under 55% from the foul line including an embarrasing 0-10? something around there by Andre Brown. It was entertaining once it got to OT but lets not pretend that was a great game. Not to mention that it was tied at 55 after regulation and 59 after 1 OT, that was not a great game. A good win for Depaul but not a good game.

Depaul-Dayton was prety embarrassing but not as embarrassing as sayin it was better than Illiniois-Arizona. Anyways, how about "The slipper still fits" from Gus Johnson for GOnzaga. Gus is a quote machine. Also, I;m surprised nobody metnioned it but i guess maybe since it was before the play. The best ever: "Will the dream die here for Duke?"

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Apr 29, 2005 -> 03:42 PM)
I was just pointing out that you were being biased.

That was a great game.  Don't hate.

I am biased? Your mentioning an horribly-ugly game including DePaul....and you have a DePaul avatar!

is that chip? Dear god

A few other Chips staples:

You can run on Grieve all day long (two weeks before they traded for him)

The gullywasher clip they play on Critics at Xtra..

What happened to Steve Finley?

He's been a whirling Dervish at the plate

Edited by Punch and Judy Garland

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Apr 29, 2005 -> 03:53 PM)
Depaul-Dayton was prety embarrassing but not as embarrassing as sayin it was better than Illiniois-Arizona.

He called illinois-arizona the best Tournament game of all time along with the NC-State win. C'mon now.

I jokingly countered with that DePaul game because calling illinois-arizona the greatest game is obviously a homer call. Ih he was serious, that's just saying you're either a huge homer, or you have no knowledge of Tournament history.

Let's use common sense here.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan99 @ Apr 29, 2005 -> 09:51 PM)
Aside from the Duke-Kentucky game name one game that is clearly better than the Illinois vs. Arizona game.

'Nova-Georgetown, '85 'Nough said.

Also...

UNC-Georgetown, '82 (Jordan)

Michigan St.-Indiana St., '79 (Ever heard of Magic vs. Bird?)

DePaul-Louisville, '78 (I can be a homer too.)

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Apr 29, 2005 -> 10:33 PM)
'Nova-Georgetown, '85  'Nough said.

Also...

UNC-Georgetown, '82 (Jordan)

Michigan St.-Indiana St., '79 (Ever heard of Magic vs. Bird?)

DePaul-Louisville, '78 (I can be a homer too.)

Nova Georgetown- probably could be considered a better game, although the Zona vs. Illinois game had a little more drama

UNC-Georgetown- I'd say no, Illinois game was slightly better, Jordan's game winner was with a lot of time on the clock and Georgetown's last possession was awful

MSU vs. Indiana St.- not even close, MSU won that game easily

DePaul-Louisville-never seen it I know it was 2 OT though

I wasn't the one who said Illinois vs. Arizona was the best tourney game ever but besides the Kentucky-Duke game there is not one game that clearly tops it.

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Apr 29, 2005 -> 08:53 PM)
Anyways, how about "The slipper still fits" from Gus Johnson for GOnzaga. Gus is a quote machine.

Most definitly I love Gus, he is definitly my favorite announcer.

How about..

"Sorrentine.....OOOOOOOOOHHHHHHH!"

And there was also something like "It's March baby, Fasten your seatbelt"

QUOTE(whitesoxfan99 @ Apr 29, 2005 -> 10:44 PM)
Nova Georgetown- probably could be considered a better game, although the Zona vs. Illinois game had a little more drama

UNC-Georgetown- I'd say no, Illinois game was slightly better, Jordan's game winner was with a lot of time on the clock and Georgetown's last possession was awful

MSU vs. Indiana St.- not even close, MSU won that game easily

DePaul-Louisville-never seen it I know it was 2 OT though

I wasn't the one who said Illinois vs. Arizona was the best tourney game ever but besides the Kentucky-Duke game there is not one game that clearly tops it.

Duke-Kentucky, 'Nova-Georgetown, and NC St. clearly top it. There is no doubt in my mind about that, and anybody who turns the TV onto espn classic during Tournament time will probably be able to realize that. Those games get replayed enough so that it's obvious. I recommend you watch Magic vs. Bird again too.

After that, I could probably make a case for about 20 more being better.

I give illini and deron credit, but you have to admit 'Zona choked. That's what doesn't make it one of the greatest games, in my opinion.

QUOTE(WilliamTell @ Apr 29, 2005 -> 10:29 PM)
McCown drops back, here's the pass, TOUCHDOWN TOUCHDOWN, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, The Cardinals have knocked the Vikings out of the playoffs!!!

not bad, definitely a good one, i thought it said mcnown at first

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Apr 29, 2005 -> 02:20 PM)
Greatest basketball game in the history of the NCAA except for the NC St Championship game vs Houston.

Duke vs. Kentucky ... the Laettner shot ... was the greatest game. And I'm a Kentucky fan.

QUOTE(Nokona @ Apr 29, 2005 -> 09:15 AM)
My two favorite calls are from the extra inning game vs. Minny a few years back where Frank hit that monster walk off in extras.

Rooney: "AND THOMAS LOSES IT INTO THE NIGHT! THATS A WHITE SOX WINNER!"

And then Hawk

"Stay Fair, Stay Fair, ITS GONE! SOX WIN!" or something to that effect.

Dick Bremer's was the best...something along the lines of...

'Thomas hits it deep, and this one will stay fair, and the White Sox win'

Best part of it was that you couldn't hear him saying and the White Sox win. His voice had just faded into the noise of the crowd.

That was probably my favorite game from that season. Konerko, hitting like .180, pinch hits, and hits a game-tying homer. Just incredible.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Apr 30, 2005 -> 01:24 AM)
Dick Bremer's was the best...something along the lines of...

'Thomas hits it deep, and this one will stay fair, and the White Sox win'

Best part of it was that you couldn't hear him saying and the White Sox win.  His voice had just faded into the noise of the crowd.

That was probably my favorite game from that season.  Konerko, hitting like .180, pinch hits, and hits a game-tying homer. Just incredible.

On Konerko's homer, Dick just says "I don't believe it," in a defeated tone.