Garland Haters and Lovers prior to 05'

I don't know that I would have qualified as a lover of Jon, but I definately always thought the best was still to come. All though I will admit it has been a long time since I thought Jon could be this good.

But honestly with all of the posts I have I can't believe I didn't make either list :huh:

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course I made the hater list.

Before this year, Garland hasn't thrown to his potential. What else was there to say about him?

Now that he is, I have no problem saying he's doing a great job.

I vote we rename this the "I told you so" board.

No, seriously, Garland's been awesome, but it is WAY too early to start saying he's finally figured things out. Great month, but that's all it is, one month. Let's hope it continues, would love to see Garland starting the All-Star game this year. Maybe somebody can get Ed Lynch and Matt Karchner complimentary passes to the game. :P

QUOTE(aboz56 @ May 2, 2005 -> 11:23 PM)
Of course I made the hater list.

Before this year, Garland hasn't thrown to his potential.  What else was there to say about him?

Now that he is, I have no problem saying he's doing a great job.

I think the issue that came up with Garland last season and off-season, was that we all know the potential that he had. His backers wanted to keep him around so he could find that potential, but others thought he was just going to be the same 11-12 win with a high 4 ERA.

And I think this statement sums it up perfectly. Thank god this wasn't the Kip Wells situation all over again.

QUOTE(CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ May 1, 2005 -> 08:13 PM)
I have researched past threads on the topic of Jon Garland prior to this season. Below is a list of JG Haters and Lovers. If you dont see your name on the list it means I couldn't figure out where you stood by your posts or I saw no posts.

Haters:  Qwerty, Santo=dorf, KnuckleSox1, witesoxfan, Soxfest, Jordan4life_2004, babybearhater, Soxwatcher, EvilJester99, Soxnbears01, poorme, 1549, jeremyb, mreye, mmmmmbeeer, wharris1, Yoda, BigDub, Cubkilla, Aboz56, knightni, IndySoxFan

Lovers :    Jeckle2000, T R U , CWSGUY406, greg775, Dbaho, soxfan101, Yasny, JDsDirtySox, Kapkomet, Rowand44, ChiSoxFan, Heads22,  Palehosefan, DanMan31, HammerheadJohnson, daSox24, BridgeportHeather, TexSox, Soxfan420, FlaSoxxJim, greasywheels161, Reddy, Jake, ChiSoxmatt, GeneHondaCivic, MurcieOne  and of course CaliSoxfanViaSWside.

This is just a sample list . A lot of the haters posted over and over. But many of the haters also said Jon would be fine with them as a 5th starter so it seems everyone got their wish , Jon is a #5 and is fulfulling his potential.

I would LOVE to see the post that makes me a hater. Critical, maybe, but a hater - no way!

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ May 2, 2005 -> 06:19 AM)
I don't know that I would have qualified as a lover of Jon, but I definately always thought the best was still to come.  All though I will admit it has been a long time since I thought Jon could be this good.

But honestly with all of the posts I have I can't believe I didn't make either list :huh:

I did see some posts by you SS2K5 just couldn't tell one way or the other. Mostly if anyone said "he sucks and always will be what he is"

was a "hater" . If you defended Jon and said "he's young ,give him time to get it " you were a "lover." I tried to limit the research to offseason and the end of last year. I figured if I went too deep into last season that people would love or hate on a game to game basis.

Guess I should 've made an " On the fence" list too. You probably would have been put on that. Nothing too negative yet nothing overly positive.

QUOTE(CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ May 2, 2005 -> 07:50 AM)
Sorry Eye , I think I only saw one post by you in my research. If it was critical , you were put on the "haters" side.

By a single post? Ouch! :fight :D

QUOTE(mreye @ May 2, 2005 -> 06:52 AM)
By a single post? Ouch!  :fight  :D

OK OK I never said I was a scientist. I knew there would be controversy , which was kind of why I did it. I hope no one is offended . I will be the first to apologize if anyone is.

I think the thread is currently 6 pages long because we all like to see what others thought of sumone prior to their success. Were they hopeful ? Were they doubters ? We sure all like to say " I told you so" too.

QUOTE(CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ May 2, 2005 -> 10:15 AM)
Last night after talking about the Sox and Garland, Chris Berman started singing  " Somewhere Over the Rainbow".

He knew Judy was looming.... :P

QUOTE(CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ May 2, 2005 -> 08:11 AM)
OK OK I never said I was a scientist. I knew there would be controversy , which was kind of why I did it. I hope no one is offended . I will be the first to apologize if anyone is.

I think the thread is currently 6 pages long because we all like to see what others thought of sumone prior to their success. Were they hopeful ? Were they doubters ? We sure all like to say " I told you so" too.

It's all good. FWIW, I've always supported the kid, I just don't get involved in the debates. Also, FWIW, I drafted him this year and I'm currently in 2nd place. :headbang

I definatley did not like him coming into the season, thinking that he was an overpaid 5th starter. But Im now even more cautious. Because if we sign him to a bigger contract now, what if he turns back into old Jon? Then he could be the next Chan Ho, and we would look stupid.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ May 2, 2005 -> 11:11 AM)
Personally, the only Sox hater I really ever got an humor from was Poppy Hidalgo.

Wonder where he is.  Saw him a few times earlier in the year.

Once again, the Sox are winning....

You will see these people again if and when the teams falls.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ May 2, 2005 -> 02:47 PM)
I definatley did not like him coming into the season, thinking that he was an overpaid 5th starter.  But Im now even more cautious.  Because if we sign him to a bigger contract now, what if he turns back into old Jon?  Then he could be the next Chan Ho, and we would look stupid.

Even if Garland wins the cy young he wont get a Chano Ho contract.....

QUOTE(BigNDfan80 @ May 2, 2005 -> 10:27 AM)
I've always loved Jon Garland, but hated Judy Garland.  He has apparently locked Judy Garland in the closet so far this year.

Seems that Judy has been exorcised from Garland's body and has taken up residence in the body of Jared Wright of the Spankees.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ May 2, 2005 -> 04:24 PM)
Once again, the Sox are winning....

You will see these people again if and when the teams falls.

LOL, and CRector? Or whatever his name was?

Where's the "Decline and Fall of Mark Buehrle" thread when ya need it... :lol:

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ May 2, 2005 -> 09:42 PM)
LOL, and CRector?  Or whatever his name was?

Where's the "Decline and Fall of Mark Buehrle" thread when ya need it...  :lol:

Now that you mention it...I'm still pissed Buehrle couldn't hold a lead in that oakland game :headshake :banghead