This is ridiculously premature...

shagar69

the other day a friend and i were arguing about 300 game winners. specifically we were talkin about what current pitchers have a chance to get it. We went through some names and then I said, kinda half-jokingly, Buehrle woudl do it. He immediately started laughin and i kinda did too. But after thinkin about it for a while, i honestly think he has a decent chance to do it. Hes young, doesnt get hurt at all, pitches 200+ innings every year, and his good for 16, 17 a year, if not more. He should play for at least 10 more years. What do u think of his chances?

Edited by shagar69

QUOTE(shagar69 @ May 22, 2005 -> 11:19 AM)
the other day a friend and i were arguing about 300 game winners. specifically we were talkin about what current pitchers have a chance to get it. We went through some names and then I said, kinda half-jokingly, Buehrle woudl do it. He immediately started laughin and i kinda did too.  But after thinkin about it for a while, i honestly think he has a decent chance to do it. Hes young, doesnt get hurt at all, pitches 200+ innings every year, and his good for 16, 17 a year, if not more. He should play for at least 10 more years. What do u think of his chances?

He’s 26 and had 69 wins going into the season so he needs 231. He’s got 7 of them so far.

If he pitches to age on the left he needs to average the number on the right wins per season, including this year.

Age Wins

36 -23

37 -21

38 -19

39 -18

40 -17

41 -15

42 -14

43 -14

Quite a tall order.

Damn, thats going to be one heck of a task. I will say this if anyone could do it, I'd probably go with Buehrle/Dontrell of the younger group of pitchers.

I'd of said Prior or Zambrano and included them but they suffer from the Dusty Baker factor.

QUOTE(rangercal @ May 22, 2005 -> 11:33 AM)
check this link out. It is from last year. But they have him projected to win 293 by age 40. I'm sure after this year he will be on pace for more.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/stor...yson&id=1849397

The only pitcher in all of baseball (50 wins or more) projected for more wins by 40 is Pedro Martinez.

I can't remember who said it when Maddux was approaching his 300th win, but they really put it in perspective for me. 300 wins more or less means either 20 seasons with 15 wins, or 15 seasons with 20 wins. Think about that for a second. We might never see that again.

The hard part is staying healthy for so many years. Pitchers can get hurt so many ways, not just arms. You can step in hole shagging flies, or take a ball off your hand. --the best, I just heard CZambrano has carpal tunnel from instant messaging his daughter in Venezuala!

QUOTE(DukeNukeEm @ May 22, 2005 -> 12:34 PM)
He'd have to really step up his game big time.

If BMac is what we hope he is, he has a better chance at 21.

Buehrle had his first full season at 22, McCarthy doesn't have a better chance.

Before this year started, I did a little math and found out that, if Buehrle pitches until he's 40, he's on pace to win 324 games. Of course, that's only if he keeps up this pace. I believe he'll only get better as he gets a little older, but he'll most likely get worse when he gets too old. It could work out that it averages out to about 300 wins, though.

If Garland really has turned the corner, I'd say he has the best chance to do it. He's 25, already has 54 career wins, isn't injury prone, and I feel age will effect his game less than it will Buehrle's.

Am I the only one who thinks Mark Buehrle will be a lot like Jamie Moyer.

Mark's a smarts pitcher, not a stuff pitcher. There's a reason he was a 38th round pick.

I tend to believe smarts pitchers can stick around for awhile, and none of Mark's pitches are very strenuous, he could be around well into his 40's winning ballgames with his smarts.

There is a slight shot at it hes got 76 wins now say he wins 18 this year that gives him 87 then he needs 213 more he will then be 27 i think he can pitch till hes 41 at least, that gives him 15 more years and if he wins 14 games on average for every year thats 297 and he could easily pitch till hes 42 Jaime Moyer is pretty old and hes still doin it.

QUOTE(Steve Bartman's my idol @ May 22, 2005 -> 05:25 PM)
I remember last year Hawk and DJ saying Zach Greinke, with his stuff and his age has a chance, but again he plays for the Royals.

I doubt he does by '10.

Not that it matters any, because he could have 70 wins at that point when he should have 100-120, but that is besides the point. I doubt he is a Royal his entire career.

Hes young, doesnt get hurt at all.

--Knock on wood when you say that. Just kidding.

I don't see how any pitcher will reach 300 again. Seems impossible to keep a stud healthy nowadays. The Braves lost another pitcher to DL today.

I just can't see anybody staying healthy in baseball to accomplish the big feats anymore.

Wasn't Maggs basically injury free and now he looks like a wreck all of a sudden.

I could see Buehrle doing it except for the injury factor someday cropping up.