Bobby Jenks a bullpen possibility for this season?

Jabroni

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...ack=2&cset=true

Finding his niche

Though Bobby Jenks is with Double-A Birmingham, he is high on general manager Ken Williams' list of options for bullpen help this season. The powerful right-hander has racked up 12 saves for the Barons and appears to be getting stronger; he struck out 10 in his last 32/3 innings through Friday.

"In spring training he was throwing 91-93 m.p.h; now he's 95-97 at times," Williams said. "He has a hard curveball, he's throwing strikes, attacking guys. I think he has a bright future."

I'd like to have Jenks with some AAA time before we designate him Chicago bound. That being said, he's got me excited about his potential. He's probably on par with Felix as the number 2 option out of the farm system, behind Baj.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ May 29, 2005 -> 09:32 PM)
I will say that there are a lot of good things happening with our pitchers down on the farm.

I think out of all the talent someone's going to pan out to be THE real deal.

2 questions about Jenks:

1) Is he 100% healthy?

2) Is he really ready to make the jump from Double-A right now?

Guest JimH
2 questions about Jenks:

1) Is he 100% healthy?

2) Is he really ready to make the jump from Double-A right now?

Our Birmingham guys can fill us in on his health, but he started slow in Tucson when I saw him and clearly wasn't 100%. So it'd seem he's just starting to feel good and round into form.

Personally I'd prefer he gets more experience, particularly experiencing success as a closer. With that arsenal, closing appears his niche.

But he's on the 40 man for a reason, the Sox like him. I'm not thrilled with the 13 walks in 24 innings though.

Baj:

24.2 IP, 1-1, 1.09 ERA, 4 SV, 12 H, 3 ER, 2 HR, 15 BB, 25 K - BB are starting to concern

Jenkies:

24.0 IP, 0-1, 3.00 ERA, 12 SV, 21 H, 8 ER, 1 HR, 13 BB, 29 K - BB also a concern.

Almost exact same sample size. Tough call when you factor in Jenks talent, but Baj has been facing AAA competition while Jenks is down in AA.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ May 29, 2005 -> 09:45 PM)
Baj:

24.2 IP, 1-1, 1.09 ERA, 4 SV, 12 H, 3 ER, 2 HR, 15 BB, 25 K - BB are starting to concern

Jenkies:

24.0 IP, 0-1, 3.00 ERA, 12 SV, 21 H, 8 ER, 1 HR, 13 BB, 29 K - BB also a concern.

Almost exact same sample size. Tough call when you factor in Jenks talent, but Baj has been facing AAA competition while Jenks is down in AA.

I think part of Baj's problem last year was that he was actually around the zone too much... 13 in 25 IP is alot, but when your whip is about 1 you'll be sucessfull.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ May 29, 2005 -> 08:45 PM)
Baj:

Jenkies:

Neither are an option if we plan on going far, if you ask me. Not at this juncture, anyway.

QUOTE(BobDylan @ May 29, 2005 -> 08:25 PM)
Neither are an option if we plan on going far, if you ask me. Not at this juncture, anyway.

Remember, right now we don't need someone to come up and be Eric Gagne.

We need someone who can eat up some innings in close games so that we can get to Hermanson. We need someone in the pen with an ERA about 3...Right now Viz and Takatsu just aren't doing that.

I think those stats are starting to look like a good reason to consider giving Baj another shot within the next few weeks, especially if a spot opens up anywhere due to injury.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ May 30, 2005 -> 03:29 AM)
I think those stats are starting to look like a good reason to consider giving Baj another shot within the next few weeks, especially if a spot opens up anywhere due to injury.

A bullpen guy [shingo or Viz] going down to "injury" is very likely. A stint on the 15 day DL should bring Baj up

QUOTE(BobDylan @ May 29, 2005 -> 09:25 PM)

I think both are actually options, I'd prefer Baj get a chance first just because I really think Jenks has a chance to be special in the closers role but a few bad outings can go along way in messing up his head and we don't need that again. The thing is, we have cliff, dustin and damaso for the 7th inning on, we just need someone to step up and add some depth to most likely take over for Viz if he continues to struggle.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ May 30, 2005 -> 03:51 PM)
I think both are actually options, I'd prefer Baj get a chance first just because I really think Jenks has a chance to be special in the closers role but a few bad outings can go along way in messing up his head and we don't need that again.  The thing is, we have cliff, dustin and damaso for the 7th inning on, we just need someone to step up and add some depth to most likely take over for Viz if he continues to struggle.

I too think they are options. At least until the sox can make a trade closer to the trade deadline. [if the sox can swing a deal before then, so much the better]

QUOTE(beck72 @ May 30, 2005 -> 09:53 AM)
I too think they are options. At least until the sox can make a trade closer to the trade deadline. [if the sox can swing a deal before then, so much the better]

Besides kenny being aggressive we always know he's the one that usually gets the trading started, if he needs to he'll probably be the first one to make a big deal, think sometime in June ala the Freddy trade last year.