*Official* Eric Chavez Speculation/Dream Thread

GreatScott82

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 01:35 PM)
I agree, it's not.

To keep it short, I don't believe including our highly touted, highly regarded pitching prospect in a trade for Eric Chavez is necessary.

When McCarthy fills out his lanky figure, you can (likely) expect an increase in velocity. Even if he doesn't, his talent is still beneficial to our club. I can understand the question of awaiting McCarthy to fulfill his potential when Chavez has already proven it, but in this instance: with the factor of Beane, Chavez' contract, and our payroll, I wouldn't touch Mac.

His velocity may go up, and the Hr's may then travel farther, the trade makes sense for both teams, now and in the next few years. We cn agree to disagree, but I am so for this trade its ridiculous, and I lOVE BMAC.

• Replies 915
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 01:37 PM)
His velocity may go up, and the Hr's may then travel farther, the trade makes sense for both teams, now and in the next few years.  We cn agree to disagree, but I am so for this trade its ridiculous, and I lOVE BMAC.

His HR's may travel farther, but his breaking ball will snap quicker. His fastball won't allow hitters more time to adjust to his offspeed pitch, when it's developed. If I'm McCarthy, I'm exclusively working on my changeup in Charlotte. Three pitches: decent changeup, 94mph fastball, 87 mph curveball = legitimate ace.

We can agree to disagree, though. This will probably go on forever. :D

I agree, but I can't see that happening.  It would cost a lot more, and I'm just not comfortable with paying Chavez $11+ million per year.

Chavez has a 6-year, $66 million contract that breaks down like this...

2005: $8 million + $500 K signing bonus

2006: $9 million + $500 K signing bonus

2007: $9 million + $500 K signing bonus

2008: $11 million + $500 K signing bonus

2009: $11 million + $500 K signing bonus

2010: $12 million

2011: $12.5 million team option or $3 million buyout

Edited by Jabroni

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 01:45 PM)

2005:  $8 million + $500 K signing bonus

2006:  $9 million + $500 K signing bonus

2007:  $9 million + $500 K signing bonus

2008:  $11 million + $500 K signing bonus

2009:  $11 million + $500 K signing bonus

2010:  $12 million

2011:  $12.5 million team option or $3 million buyout

Wow, that goes far beyond what I thought it did. :ph34r:

What were people talking about only 30 million remaining on his contract?

QUOTE(jerseysox @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 07:34 PM)
Exactly how are his numbers better? They are very similar.

His bat is left-handed. So that makes his terrible numbers better?

He can hit to all fields. Grounding out to short and flying out to right are still outs.

He does not clog the bases and can steal? Have you ever watched this guy run? I think he gets about 5 steals a year. Big deal.

Also, for all the ranting about all the DPs Konerko hits into, Chavez has into one less than Paulie this year.

As for the fielding, he's actually won 3 gold gloves, not 4, from 2001-03. He's made NINE errors this year.

In my estimation, this guy is not an upgrade over Crede. Even if he is slightly better, I'd rather not trade future talent for this guy, whose numbers may have been inflated by the Giambi Juice.

Difference is, Crede has a history of suckage. Chavez doesn't. I don't think we'd all be so down on Crede if he hadn't been performing like this year in and year out.

The answer is as simple as that.

His laughing at Patrick's question "How's Moneyball look now?" was a direct hit at Beane. Chavez's comment along the lines of 'Travis Lee said the same thing to me last night' can't sit well in Oak.

Beane can't have the face of the A's laughing at him. He won't last 'til the AS break there

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 01:38 PM)
We got Chavy, go after his buddy Durazo next season for 1b.

Edit, we GET Chavy....

If Chavez were to be added by traded, I really think Ross would be our starting first baseman next season. Wow, so now I've traded for Chavez and made Ross a starting firstbaseman. :headshake :lol:

If some of you guys want the Sox to acquire fat contracts, how about Abreu?

I imagine it's just as likely for him to be traded to the Sox as is a trade of Chavez for just Crede and McCarthy.

I'd rather have Chavez than Abreu. Chavez plays a tougher position where we have a definite hole offensively. Abreu is 31 years old, Chavez is only 27. Also, we have Brian Anderson and Ryan Sweeney performing well in the minors while Josh Fields is struggling. A 3rd baseman is more of a need than an outfielder.

If Chavez were to be added by traded, I really think Ross would be our starting first baseman next season.  Wow, so now I've traded for Chavez and made Ross a starting firstbaseman. :headshake  :lol:

Chavez + Gload > Crede + Konerko

In my opinion anyways, especially if we keep Frank.

Edited by Jabroni

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 02:53 PM)
I'd rather have Chavez than Abreu.  Chavez plays a tougher position where we have a definite hole offensively.  Abreu is 31 years old, Chavez is only 27.  Also, we have Brian Anderson and Ryan Sweeney performing well in the minors while Josh Fields is struggling.  A 3rd baseman is more of a need than an outfielder.

Just a thought, does trading for Chavez make Fields expendable in the near future??

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 01:54 PM)
Chavez + Gload > Crede + Konerko

In my opinion anyways, especially if we keep Frank.

Oh god, it's not even close in my mind Chavez + Gload>>>>>>Crede and Konerko. I'm a huge fan of Ross and I really believe he can be a starting first baseman. He's great with the leather and though Crede and Konerko are solid gloveman Konerko has no range at first. Not to mention Chavez and Ross can both move on the bases while Pauly and Joe can not.

Just a thought, does trading for Chavez make Fields expendable in the near future??

If we traded for Chavez, Fields could be included in the deal. Who knows? :huh Not sure if Beane would want him or not though. He is struggling pretty badly. If we did get Chavez and the Sox kept Fields, they would most likely convert him to a 1st baseman to replace Gload.

Edited by Jabroni

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 01:55 PM)

Either they ship him off quickly or shift him to another position once he advances in the minors.

How would it feel for Fields knowing there's NO possibility of earning a 3B spot when Chavez will own the position for the next 6 years?

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 01:55 PM)

Fields is not going to be ready any time soon, his numbers are terrible and he isnt that great of a glove man, I would agree with you on that.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 12:46 PM)
Konerko will make more money in the FA market than Chavez's contract.  Take a look at what the power hitting 1B got this year.  Look at what Beltre and Glaus signed for in the offseason. I think Chavez's contract is almost a bargain, if not totally respectable for us.  And yes, Chavez's hitting is better than Konerko's so on that alone, yes he deserves more money, if you add in his 4 gold gloves at 3B. yes he is worth more.  So for your answer, yes, Chavez is worth that much.

If konerko keeps hitting nearly as bad as he has this year he won't be getting as much as your thinking.

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 02:45 PM)

2005:  $8 million + $500 K signing bonus

2006:  $9 million + $500 K signing bonus

2007:  $9 million + $500 K signing bonus

2008:  $11 million + $500 K signing bonus

2009:  $11 million + $500 K signing bonus

2010:  $12 million

2011:  $12.5 million team option or $3 million buyout

Holy s***! That contract is worse than I thought.

f*** Chavez at all costs. :chair

Edited by santo=dorf

Exactly how are his numbers better? They are very similar.

His bat is left-handed. So that makes his terrible numbers better?

He can hit to all fields. Grounding out to short and flying out to right are still outs.

He does not clog the bases and can steal? Have you ever watched this guy run? I think he gets about 5 steals a year. Big deal.

Also, for all the ranting about all the DPs Konerko hits into, Chavez has into one less than Paulie this year.

As for the fielding, he's actually won 3 gold gloves, not 4, from 2001-03. He's made NINE errors this year.

In my estimation, this guy is not an upgrade over Crede. Even if he is slightly better, I'd rather not trade future talent for this guy, whose numbers may have been inflated by the Giambi Juice.

Just because he doesn't get many steals, that doesn't mean he's not a helluva lot faster running the bases than Crede. Going from 1st to 3rd on a single is just as important as a stolen base. Crede can't do either.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 03:04 PM)
No love here, Marsh. Usually 1st round picks are protected for a little while, I was wondering out loud.

oh, ok. If I remember correctly we traded one of our recent first rounders to the Mets. The college closer dude.