*Official* Eric Chavez Speculation/Dream Thread

GreatScott82

• Replies 915
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 03:44 PM)
Its an off day. Gives the board a topic to discuss. Most of Freddy's contract last season was picked up by Seattle. They were able to sign him to an extension because the Sox had a ton of $ coming off the books after last season. They do have Konerko perhaps coming of the books next year, and Frank may be bought out for $3.5 million, Everett may go, but Garland should get a huge raise as will AJ and several others. The Sox are in an entirely different position. Even if Oakland picked up most of Chavez's salary this season, which I really doubt they would, they would have a budget problem in 2006 and beyond if they took on this contract. And Beane would have to also consider how this trade would go down with the Oakland fans. It could be enough to run them out of town.

Exactly, he needs a winner on the field to have the fans at the park, with his contract eating up alot of their payroll, he needs flexibility to add new pieces. As far as our budget, I see no reason why our payroll wont increase, especially after this trade puts us in the playoffs!!!! :pray

QUOTE(Steff @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 03:49 PM)
So they want to toss Brandon right in the starting rotation.. I say let them have him. It'll be sad to watch him fail because, IMO, he's not ready for the show.

I will tell you what, I wouldnt have much confidence is watching him face the Rangers that many times per year, I will tell you that.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 04:44 PM)
It could be enough to run them out of town.

I disagree with this, only because the A's arent a big draw anyways. Chavez doesnt pack them in any more just because he is in the lineup. The A's have a hard time getting anyone in the stadium during the playoffs, much less the regular season.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 08:46 PM)
well done. Not only are there few teams in need, they must also have the talent  Oakland wants [most likely, a major league ready SP and position players]. If Beane does want to trade Chavez, the sox have to among those with the will and ability to get a deal done.

:cheers

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 04:44 PM)
And Beane would have to also consider how this trade would go down with the Oakland fans. It could be enough to run them out of town.

After his interview on DP today.. saying that the A's are "horrible".. I'd guess the fans wouldn't mind him leaving one bit.

How would you all feel if we gave up Anderson + Crede instead for Chavez?

Considering we would still have Sweeney left as OF prospect and with Rowand and Pods here to stay for a while with our grind it out team, wouldn't it be better to keep our stud pitchers with us?

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 04:53 PM)
Alot of the posters seem to think that Dye and Chavez speak alot and Chavez wants to play with Dye again.

It's not a secret that they are good friends.. but in the world of pro sports I really don't think that carries much weight. I think everyone wants to play on a winning team.. the A's are faaaaaarrr from that these days.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 03:53 PM)
After his interview on DP today.. saying that the A's are "horrible".. I'd guess the fans wouldn't mind him leaving one bit.

If the White Sox were in the A's position and one of the Sox players went on a radio show and said the Sox were horrible, I would appreciate it. They are horrible.

QUOTE(sox-r-us @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 03:54 PM)
How would you all feel if we gave up Anderson + Crede instead for Chavez?

Considering we would still have Sweeney left as OF prospect and with Rowand and Pods here to stay for a while with our grind it out team, wouldn't it be better to keep our stud pitchers with us?

In a second, I would actually deal Anderson and Sweeney for Chavez. We still have OF prospects behind them as well.

Given that we have the 2 Cubans in our rotation and we expect them to get hurt, I'm still not comfortable giving up our best backup pitching option at this point.

We're going to need the 6th starter to make this run. And even if he ends up going .500, just like he did against the Cubs and Rangers, that'll be a lot better than what we saw last year from our 5th starter spot.

I'll agree Chavez is an upgrade from Crede, and I'm willing to accept that he'll probably turn his season around. But I'm not willing to remove that "Untouchable" label from McCarthy. That's the only line I won't cross.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 01:52 PM)
His laughing at Patrick's question "How's Moneyball look now?" was a direct hit at Beane. Chavez's comment along the lines of  'Travis Lee said the same thing to me last night' can't sit well in Oak.

Beane can't have the face of the A's laughing at him. He won't last 'til the AS break there

Wait, so Chavez critized the foundations of Moneyball?

TRADE FOR THIS MAN, NOW!!! :headbang ;)

Beane disciples must not be very pleased with Chavez insulting their overlord. Right now, minions on Baseball Prospectus and Hardball Times are writing articles criticizing Chavez for insulting their beloved sabermetric system.

QUOTE(sox-r-us @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 05:00 PM)
One question - who do you think will trade for Kendall if the As do go on a firesale?

He is making tons of $ too and I doubt Beane keeps him around while rebuilding....

Thoughts?

I think Beane is probably going to realize that Kendall is just as unmovable in Oakland as he was in Pittsburgh. Its gonna take alot to get him off their hands, given his position, declining BA, questionable health, etc.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 01:01 PM)
He'd probably bat 4th to break up the righties with Frank batting 3rd.  Ahh, we've already put chavez in the lineup, premature but fun none the less.

not with that batting average - 218?

ideally:

Podsednik

Iguchi

Rowand

Thomas

Chavez

Konerko

Pierzynski

Dye

Uribe

now that's murderer's row - or strikeout-a-rama.

then we need to make a deal for two more bullpen guys - one can be a long guy to spot start if necessary.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 04:58 PM)
  And even if he ends up going .500, just like he did against the Cubs and Rangers, that'll be a lot better than what we saw last year from our 5th starter spot.

McCarthy got one loss and a ND? He was on the hook for both of the runners on base when Dubois hit the homerun. Sox lost both games

QUOTE(sox-r-us @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 03:03 PM)
Give them Anderson instead for Chavez. OFs are easy to find in FA.

Hell, if Dye turns it around, with Pods and Rowand bound to be around, we are set for next year too, after which Sweeney could replace Dead

Anderson + Crede (and maybe + 1 other pitcher not named McCarthy or Gonzalez) for Chavez I could live with.

The other thing to remember in terms of contracts is that if we were to absorb Chavez's contract, it would really help us to have some cheap people at other positions. Cheap means young. Young means guys like McCarthy and Gio and Sweeney and Fields. Some of these guys would have to stay around in order for us to afford Chavez's contract. Otherwise, we'd be coming to the park with big holes to fill again. Like in our starting rotation last year.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 04:56 PM)
If the White Sox were in the A's position and one of the Sox players went on a radio show and said the Sox were horrible, I would appreciate it. They are horrible.

He also took a good shot at BB and Moneyball.