*Official* Eric Chavez Speculation/Dream Thread

GreatScott82

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 03:06 PM)
McCarthy got one loss and a ND? He was on the hook for both of the runners on base when Dubois hit the homerun.  Sox lost both games

Gimme a break on this one, he had 1 good game and 1 bad game. He was pulled early in the Cubs game and Viz gave up the long ball, losing the lead for him.

As far as I'm concerned, that's all I want from a rookie 6th starter. 1 good game to b alance out the bad games.

But that's a lot better than having a guy like Diaz come up and do what he did last year...bad games almost every time.

• Replies 915
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 05:08 PM)
But that's a lot better than having a guy like Diaz come up and do what he did last year...bad games almost every time.

except.....against the cubs

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 04:02 PM)
I think Beane is probably going to realize that Kendall is just as unmovable in Oakland as he was in Pittsburgh.  Its gonna take alot to get him off their hands, given his position, declining BA, questionable health, etc.

I gotta admit, I really wanted the Sox to trade for Kendall last year. I was so wrong. Glad they didn't.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 03:58 PM)
Given that we have the 2 Cubans in our rotation and we expect them to get hurt, I'm still not comfortable giving up our best backup pitching option at this point.

We're going to need the 6th starter to make this run.  And even if he ends up going .500, just like he did against the Cubs and Rangers, that'll be a lot better than what we saw last year from our 5th starter spot.

I'll agree Chavez is an upgrade from Crede, and I'm willing to accept that he'll probably turn his season around.  But I'm not willing to remove that "Untouchable" label from McCarthy.  That's the only line I won't cross.

Good post. While not yet major league ready, McCarthy is still valuable to our current rotation.

I would like the Pro-Chavez crowd to explain what would they would do if Hernandez needs another two weeks 'off'? Something which is a real possibility.

Does T-BALL stand get the callup? Or Jon Adkins? If so, we're not in good shape for the stretch run. Whether or not Chavez is at 3b and batting close to his career AVG.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(mrzo2733 @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 04:10 PM)
I gotta admit, I really wanted the Sox to trade for Kendall last year. I was so wrong. Glad they didn't.

I think KW actually tried to get him, but couldn't come to an agreement. Pittsburgh is paying some, if not most of his salary.

I think this just shows that everyone on the A's is struggling. Even Jason Kendall, who is a career .304 AVG, .385 OBP hitter, is currently only hitting .250 AVG with a .325 OBP. Everyone on that team is sucking right now and I have no doubt that Chavez's numbers would increase big-time if he came to the Sox.

My guess is if we really go after Chavez we will end up in a bidding war with The Dodgers who also need a real 3rd baseman, and bidding wars are dangerous

They have Antonio Perez, who is currently mashing the ball, at 3rd base. They also have Valenstache coming back from injury after the All-Star break. I'm not so sure they need a 3rd baseman.

Edited by Jabroni

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 04:12 PM)
Good post. While not yet major league ready, McCarthy is still valuable to our current rotation.

I would like the Pro-Chavez crowd to explain what would they would do if Hernandez needs another two weeks 'off'? Something which is a real possibility.

Does T-BALL stand get the callup? Or Jon Adkins? If so, we're not in good shape for the stretch run. Whether or not Chavez is at 3b and batting close to his career AVG.

That's a good point and that's what would worry me if a trade of Bmac were to happen. However, if you can get an Eric Chavez you have to make every effort to do so, imo.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 05:12 PM)

Guess we could tell him to "suck it up"..

:lol:

McCarthy did well against the Cubs but was shellacked by the Rangers. We lost both games. If we lost El Duque for the rest of the season, we would be in big trouble. Regardless, I'm not so sure McCarthy could save the team this season if that happened anyways.

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 04:19 PM)
McCarthy did well against the Cubs but was shellacked by the Rangers.  We lost both games.  If we lost El Duque for the rest of the season, we would be in big trouble.  Regardless, I'm not so sure McCarthy could save the team this season if that happened anyways.

You avoided my question.

Who do you pitch in place of Hernandez if he is on the DL, and McCarthy is gone?

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 03:19 PM)
McCarthy did well against the Cubs but was shellacked by the Rangers.  We lost both games.  If we lost El Duque for the rest of the season, we would be in big trouble.  Regardless, I'm not so sure McCarthy could save the team this season if that happened anyways.

He wouldn't be asked to save the team. He would be being asked to not be a black hole every week. 1 good start out of every 2 something I wouldn't put past the kid, especially after how he looked in the spring. It might even come down to how the wind is blowing where the game is being played, becasue at least to me his problem thus far has seemed to be the long ball more than anything else.

I can't name another pitcher in our organization who I'd expect to be anything other than a 5th day loss if 1 of the Cubans went down. If we bring up Adkins or someone, and he gives up 10 runs, its not like we're going to be a team that can outslug the other team 12-10.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 04:21 PM)
You avoided my question.

Who do you pitch in place of Hernandez if he is on the DL, and McCarthy is gone?

Gio Gonzalez, he's ready. ;) Honestly, that's the problem with trading Brandon, maybe something like Bmac, Rogo and Crede for Chavez and Saarloos could work?? Obviously Saarloos isn't anything special but he'd atleast provide a decent major league option if someone were to go down.

If El-duque goes back on the DL and McCarthy is an Athletic. Then I can see KW making a move to acquire another starting pitcher. There is NO WAY we will go through that black-hole 5th spot again. Other insurance policies could be Cotts. He has been pitching pretty solid lately.

QUOTE(GreatScott82 @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 03:23 PM)
If El-duque goes back on the DL and McCarthy is an Athletic. Then I can see KW making a move to acquire another starting pitcher. There is NO WAY we will go through that black-hole 5th spot again. Other insurance policies could be Cotts. He has been pitching pretty solid lately.

Cotts as a starter? You've just got to be kidding me. Our bullpen has had enough difficulties lately, the last thing I want to do is rob it of 1 of its lefthanders. Would we bring Walker back up to take Cotts's spot in the pen? (shuddering).

The fact is this...there is no one who could take over McCarthy's position as a backup to the Cubans (or anyone else who gets hurt) in our organization right now. This means that if anyone does get hurt and we've already traded BMac, either our chance at a title ends right there or we have to go and pay an even higher price for a pitcher.

What happens if BMac is traded and on August 15th Contreras or El Duque go down with season ending injuries? You're past the trading deadline then without a backup plan. And Oh yeah, you're starting a 3 game set with the Twins.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 04:28 PM)
Cotts as a starter?  You've just got to be kidding me.  Our bullpen has had enough difficulties lately, the last thing I want to do is rob it of 1 of its lefthanders.  Would we bring Walker back up to take Cotts's spot in the pen?  (shuddering).

The fact is this...there is no one who could take over McCarthy's position as a backup to the Cubans (or anyone else who gets hurt) in our organization right now.  This means that if anyone does get hurt and we've already traded BMac, either our chance at a title ends right there or we have to go and pay an even higher price for a pitcher.

What happens if BMac is traded and on August 15th Contreras or El Duque go down with season ending injuries?  You're past the trading deadline then without a backup plan.  And Oh yeah, you're starting a 3 game set with the Twins.

You would hope it was Garland, Buerhle, and Garcia's turn to pitch. :D Or maybe the Count. He's pitched pretty damn good this season, and go to a 4 man rotation.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 03:30 PM)
You would hope it was Garland, Buerhle, and Garcia's turn to pitch.  :D Or maybe the Count. He's pitched pretty damn good this season, and go to a 4 man rotation.

In other words...if we traded BMac and someone did get hurt...we're in real deep dog doo.

Anyone want to play the last month and a half of the season with a 4 man rotation? That strikes me as a sure fire way to drop out of the playoff hunt real fast.

QUOTE(GreatScott82 @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 04:23 PM)

So now Williams would have to make ANOTHER trade due to the addition of Chavez? All this for the possibility Chavez reverts back to old form.

If Cotts in is the rotation, then that's yet another blow to our bullpen. You'd have only one left-handed relief pitcher on the roster. Obviously, Walker has shown he's not an option. Who's that leave, Munoz? LOL.

Edited by Flash Tizzle