Our manager is clueless with the bullpen

aboz56

QUOTE(KevHead0881 @ Jun 1, 2005 -> 08:36 PM)
Pretty much explains most of this thread.

This thread was not an overration and most of the things that have been said are not either. You really cannot manage any worse in one straight week than this fool has.

• Replies 547
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 11:37 AM)
And you can throw in all of the fire jobs that Hawkins did as well.

For as bad as Hawkins was in those games, he was one of the better Cub Relievers in terms of ERA.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 11:38 AM)
This thread was not an overration and most of the things that have been said are not either. You really cannot manage any worse in one straight week than this fool has.

I guess sooner or later its bound to catch up with him and tonight looks to be the night. Still to say you'd pick Baker over him is ludicrous. We wouldn't have any starting pitching. :lol:

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 01:37 AM)
And you can throw in all of the fire jobs that Hawkins did as well.

Dempster's ERA as a closer has been very good. Also, last time I checked, Shingo and Vizcaino didn't have stellar ERAs. You left out Ohman, Bartosh, and Wellemeyer, all guys with ERAs under 3. Wellemeyer is the best long man in the city of Chicago (that doesn't sound good). I'm the biggest Cubs hater there is....but I would take their full pen over ours right now.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 01:37 AM)
Are you serious?  You honestly think Ozzie isn't a terrible manager?  I can't see how any smart baseball fan wouldn't think he's just god awful.

I think he's had a s***ty week. I don't think he's a s***ty manager. I'm upset about the way he's handled the bullpen tonight as well, but sheesh...

QUOTE(fathom @ Jun 1, 2005 -> 08:37 PM)
Last time I looked, there were more than 2 relievers on a team.

Sure there are. And to want the combination of horrible Cubs pen preformances over what the Sox have done is hilarious. How many games have the Cubs pen given away vs what the Sox have done? What is our record in one run games? Where do the Sox rank in team relief points? (2nd) But you would rather have the Cubs pen? Come on. I know you are mad, but wow, at least be rational.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 11:40 AM)
Dempster's ERA as a closer has been very good.  Also, last time I checked, Shingo and Vizcaino didn't have stellar ERAs.  You left out Ohman, Bartosh, and Wellemeyer, all guys with ERAs under 3.  Wellemeyer is the best long man in the city of Chicago (that doesn't sound good).  I'm the biggest Cubs hater there is....but I would take their full pen over ours right now.

Would you rather have a pen that does good in long relief or one that does well in KEY late game (8th, 9th inning) situations?

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jun 1, 2005 -> 08:39 PM)
I guess sooner or later its bound to catch up with him and tonight looks to be the night. Still to say you'd pick Baker over him is ludicrous. We wouldn't have any starting pitching.  :lol:

I don't want either. But ozzie and his ''team chemistry''. :fyou

Just hit a f***ing grand slam angels why not get vizcaino's era over 10.

QUOTE(KevHead0881 @ Jun 1, 2005 -> 08:40 PM)
I think he's had a s***ty week.  I don't think he's a s***ty manager.  I'm upset about the way he's handled the bullpen tonight as well, but sheesh...

i'm one of the most calm levelheaded sox fans on here, and i'm flipping at ozzie tonight, probably the first time this season. There is NO excuse for pitching walker in that situation, none.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 01:40 AM)
Sure there are.  And to want the combination of horrible Cubs pen preformances over what the Sox have done is hilarious.  How many games have the Cubs pen given away vs what the Sox have done?  What is our record in one run games?  Where do the Sox rank in team relief points? (2nd)  But you would rather have the Cubs pen?  Come on.  I know you are mad, but wow, at least be rational.

Look at the post I wrote when you were probably writing this. The current relief corp on both teams being equal, I think the Cubs have a better bullpen foundation. They have their long man in Wellemeyer, two solid lefties in Bartosh and Ohman, a set-up man in Wuertz, and a solid closer in Dempster. I don't think the Cubs bullpen is much better than ours at all.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 01:42 AM)
Would you rather have a pen that does good in long relief or one that does well in KEY late game (8th, 9th inning) situations?

I want a bullpen that does well in both. You lose as many games in the 6th or 7th with relievers as you do in the 8th or 9th. Why Ozzie wanted to use our worst reliever in the 7th in a one run game against the top of the order simply shocks me.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 11:44 AM)
I want a bullpen that does well in both.  You lose as many games in the 6th or 7th with relievers as you do in the 8th or 9th.  Why Ozzie wanted to use our worst reliever in the 7th in a one run game against the top of the order simply shocks me.

Well sometimes you just can't have both. At least if you choke in the 6th or 7th, you have time for a comeback. Cotts, Marte and Politte were all used yesterday, so that pretty much left Hermy (never was going to come in the 7th), Vizcaino or Walker.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jun 1, 2005 -> 09:45 PM)
Well sometimes you just can't have both. At least if you choke in the 6th or 7th, you have time for a comeback. Cotts, Marte and Politte were all used yesterday, so that pretty much left Hermy (never was going to come in the 7th), Vizcaino or Walker.

Don't you go and starting bringing logic into this :chair

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 01:45 AM)

You don't think Politte or Marte couldn't have gone an inning, and then let Hermanson go for 2 innings? The managers job is to put the team in the best situation it can in order to succeed. Did Ozzie really think putting Walker in gave the team the best chance ito win? Look at what everyone was saying before he even threw a pitch. Hopefully, Walker finds himself unemployed after tonight.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jun 1, 2005 -> 08:45 PM)

Marte has hardly been used this year. When you have less innings than innings pitched no one can ever use that excuse ( not saying you did but i see it alot on here) Marte could have started the inning if we wanted to keep the game either close or what do you know, win it. Walker coming in = an automatic loss.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Jun 1, 2005 -> 08:51 PM)
Marte has hardly been used this year. When you have less innings than innings pitched no one can ever use that excuse ( not saying you did but i see it alot on here)  Marte could have started the inning if we wanted to keep the game either close or what do you know, win it. Walker coming in = an automatic loss.

Less innings than innings pitched? I take it you mean games vs IP, right?

QUOTE(Soxnbears01 @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 01:42 AM)
i'm one of the most calm levelheaded sox fans on here, and i'm flipping at ozzie tonight, probably the first time this season.  There is NO excuse for pitching walker in that situation, none.

Never said I wasn't pissed. I'm just reading comments like Ozzie is the worst manager in baseball and he's an idiot, and I just think that ain't true. I realize that its their opinion, as this is mine, so I'll just let the issue die. Rant away fellas.

QUOTE(KevHead0881 @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 01:51 AM)
Never said I wasn't pissed.  I'm just reading comments like Ozzie is the worst manager in baseball and he's an idiot, and I just think that ain't true.  I realize that its their opinion, as this is mine, so I'll just let the issue die.  Rant away fellas.

Fair enough. I know people will have different opinions than everyone else. We're all Sox fans here, so I don't want you thinking I was attacking you for not hating Ozzie.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 01:53 AM)
Fair enough.  I know people will have different opinions than everyone else.  We're all Sox fans here, so I don't want you thinking I was attacking you for not hating Ozzie.

No harm done. You're still wrong though.

:cheers

Ozzie's move today made me scratch my freaking head. Walker, huh?????? Ozzie needs to look at Mike Sciosa's bullpen management. He has his pitchers settled for roles in the pen. Donnely-Shields-FRod.

Ozzie is way over his head today with the way he made his lineup. When I first heard the lineup, I said to myself we are giving this game up especially with Contreras on the mound.

Brently on ESPN just took more shots at Ozzie for his BP handling

Specifically at not bringing in Hermy in game 1, which we almost lost thanks to that move, and now bringing him in for mop up hurting his 0.00 ERA

MInd you, Brentley predicted Hermy would nto do well before he even pitched his first pitch (becoz it was not a save situation)

Right he was.....f*** you Ozzie, you suck moron

QUOTE(sox-r-us @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 02:04 AM)
Brently on ESPN just took more shots at Ozzie for his BP handling

Specifically at not bringing in Hermy in game 1, which we almost lost thanks to that move, and now bringing him in for mop up hurting his 0.00 ERA

MInd you, Brentley predicted Hermy would nto do well before he even pitched his first pitch (becoz it was not a save situation)

Right he was.....f*** you Ozzie, you suck moron

I'm sure Ozzie will go off on Brantley again.