Mother of all trades suggestion

sox-r-us

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(sox-r-us @ Jun 9, 2005 -> 01:59 AM)
Thanks YASNY. I have been really thinking about this the past 3 days seeing the Yanks implode against the Brewers.

Yes, Kenny should pick up the phone and ask. It cannot hurt can it?

T

Wow, its nice to back up your suggestions with some realistic reasons for the trade happening. But then say good bye to half of our players as we struggle to pay for 2 Paul Konerko's playing 3B. It would cost us the whole AAA team as well. Plus The Boss will never go into selling mode, he is a buyer, and he will stay that way. Why would he trade his best player, probably one of the best who has ever played for some of our players when he could just buy what he needs, and trade away his farm system some more. If he is going to unload someone to get some pieces, it sure as hell wont be A-rod and it wont be with us to get our prospects, because A-row could command a price tag of at least 2 starting pitchers, and if we did that, we are f***ed.

I forgot to add this before I left for work. Remember the asking price for Randy Johnson sox-r-us? Paul Konerko, Jon Garland and Brian Anderson or Ryan Sweeney.

Now imagine what the asking price for Mr. Pay-Rod would be.

QUOTE(Controlled Chaos @ Jun 9, 2005 -> 02:26 PM)
Dudes...put it down...

newpic15.jpg

SO RIGHT

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jun 9, 2005 -> 02:42 PM)
I forgot to add this before I left for work. Remember the asking price for Randy Johnson sox-r-us? Paul Konerko, Jon Garland and Brian Anderson or Ryan Sweeney.

Now imagine what the asking price for Mr. Pay-Rod would be.

This Thread is done

QUOTE(sox-r-us @ Jun 9, 2005 -> 12:49 AM)
I have been giving this a thought for a while. Obviously our two biggest needs are 3B followed by better production at SS. If Cotts stays solid and even if one out of Shingo or Viz get back to last year's form our BP is going to be great for the playoffs. Not to mention Count will be added to the pen and in general our pen is not going to be overworked going into the playoffs.

We have all talked about Randa, Chavez and even Vinny (;)) at 3B. In another thread, Kenny has said he has the go signal to spend if needed to get a great player here that can put us over the top. So I have to ask:

How about trading for Alex Rodriguez?

Question #1: Will the Yanks trade him?

With the Yanks just losing 9 out of their last 10 (and with the Twins, Os, Bo Sox, White Sox, Angels not slowing it down), it is very possible that the Yankees will be so out of it come trade deadline that they may just decide to sell for a change instead of buy. They have holes all over their roster (2B, DH, BP, CF and starting P) and with a team that is only going to get older next year, the Boss may decide to shred some payroll and use it sensibly on pitching in the offseason. Also, Alex has just not been received well in the Yanks locker room where Jeter will always be the man.

Question #2: Will JR pay for someone like Alex Rodriguez?

Considering the Rangers picked up some of Alex's contract, it is not like we are going to be paying $25M a year for him. Also, when you consider this is the guy that can FINALLY put seats in the park for years to come, as a sure fire HOF'er and a lock to even break Henry Aaron's record, JR has to see value there. JR has paid for Michael Jordan before, so I do not see him not paying someone like Alex. Also, when Alex was a FA, the Sox were mildly interested in him. And considering we were willing to pay in the range of 14M/yr for Maggs, we can definitely pay for Alex.

Question #3: Do we have enough to trade for a Alex Rodriguez?

In one of those 3B upgrade threads, it was clear that except for maybe the Dodgers, there were really no other contending teams that needed a 3B. Also, with Mussina, Randy Johnson, Kevin Brown, Flash Gordon, Rivera, Quantrill, Stanton etc all really getting old, Yankees have to stock up on young pitching now. We can easily give them a package of Crede + BMAc + any other one stud prospect they want.

Question #4: Where do you play him?

That is easy. This season at 3B, and he can continue there but can always be moved to SS if needed (trade Uribe or use him as a back up going forward if we get a good 3B)

Question #5: Do we mess with chemistry?

I definitely believe this "Alex Rodriguez has won nowhere and is hence not worth the $" tripe is crap. If we can get the next Barry Bonds for the next decade, we have to look at it. I am willing to risk the chemistry to get the true star that will make this city a Sox town again and make us into an overnight lock to win it all this year and be contenders for years to come. Alex would fit in fine in the clubhouse with so many Latino players and Ozzie. Also, while he will bring the Star attitude to the club house, I have always seen Alex as being a hard worked on the field who will get dirty to win the game. He definitely wants to win.

=======================

Now I know the chances of this happening are

Would you guys be ok with a trade for Alex Rodrigues or not????? Thoughts??? Considering we have an off day, this might make for a good discussion.

I am going to go change my shorts since I think I just creamed it thinking about this fockign lineup for the Sox the latter part of this year:

Pods LF

Iguchi 2B

Frank Thomas DH

Alex Rodriguez 3B

Jermaine Dye RF

Paul Konerko 1B

Aaron Rowand CF

AJ Pierzinsky C

Uribe SS

Off the bench - Everett as first PH

:lolhitting Are you serious? Was that susposed to be in green?

Getting rivera is a worse idea than even thinking arod is available. He makes 10.5 this year, 10.5 next year, and an option for 2007 worth 10.5. Sure he is f***ing great but no relief pitcher is that good... no relief pitcher will ever be that good (worth that much).

Here are my realistic trade ideas...

1.) First, play Carl Everett in LF some more and show other teams that he can get the job done there.

2.) Trade LF Carl Everett to the Atlanta Braves for LHP John Foster and a pitching prospect. The Braves desperately need some offense in their outfield before they fall out of the division race entirely. We get another lefty for the bullpen so there's less pressure on Marte.

3.) Trade 2B Willie Harris, OF Joe Borchard, and the Atlanta prospect to the Pittsburgh Pirates for UTIL Rob Mackowiak. The Pirates are out of the division race once again and will be sellers at the deadline. Mackowiak is under a 1-year deal for only $1.5 million but he will be due more money in arbitration after the great season he is having. The Pirates could use a 2nd baseman and leadoff hitter in Willie and hope that Borchard becomes a decent power-hitting outfielder. They would also receive the Braves' pitching prospect that we obtained in the earlier Everett trade. The Pirates can always use young, cheap pitching talent. Some people may not want to trade Willie but the addition of Mackowiak would make him expendable. Mackowiak is a lefty bat that can play 2nd base.

4.) Mackowiak can hit for some power, get on base, run the bases, and play many positions (3B, 2B, LF, CF, RF). He could platoon with Crede at 3rd base, platoon with Iguchi at 2nd base, and also play the outfield some days. He would negate the need for Timo on our roster because he's a lefty bat that can play the outfield. Once Gload is healthy, Ross could replace Timo on the roster and our roster would be set.

Edited by Jabroni

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Jun 9, 2005 -> 01:05 PM)
Here are my realistic trade ideas...

1.)  First, play Carl Everett in LF some more and show other teams that he can get the job done there.

2.)  Trade LF Carl Everett to the Atlanta Braves for LHP John Foster[/url] and a pitching prospect.  The Braves desperately need some offense in their outfield before they fall out of the division race entirely.  We get another lefty for the bullpen so there's less pressure on Marte.

3.)  Trade 2B Willie Harris, OF Joe Borchard, and the Atlanta prospect to the Pittsburgh Pirates for UTIL Rob Mackowiak.  The Pirates are out of the division race once again and will be sellers at the deadline.  Mackowiak is under a 1-year deal for only $1.5 million but he will be due more money in arbitration after the great season he is having.  The Pirates could use a 2nd baseman and leadoff hitter in Willie and hope that Borchard becomes a decent power-hitting outfielder.  They would also receive the Braves' pitching prospect that we obtained in the earlier Everett trade.  The Pirates can always use young, cheap pitching talent.  Some people may not want to trade Willie but the addition of Mackowiak would make him expendable.  Mackowiak is a lefty bat that can play 2nd base.

4.)  Mackowiak can hit for some power, get on base, run the bases, and play many positions (3B, 2B, LF, CF, RF).  He could platoon with Crede at 3rd base, platoon with Iguchi at 2nd base, and also play the outfield some days.  He would negate the need for Timo on our roster because he's a lefty bat that can play the outfield.  Once Gload is healthy, Ross could replace Timo on the roster and our roster would be set.

Willie alone could have more value than Mackowiak. Why give up other players you do not have to, even if they are not-so-good? I'm also not sure what use Pittsburgh would have for Willie in the first place anyways...I believe they have 2Bman(Hill and like a Castillo or something like that), Jack Wilson at SS, and similar player to Willie in Tike Redman

Another thing...please stop with the mocking of his trade idea...it's a bit ridiculous and out of line. I myself have mocked sox-r-us about Vinny Castilla(cuz he's Vinny frickin Castilla), but atleast he is not just talking about trading for players just because they are good. He has backed his case up with legitamate arguments and there is always a chance that a 4th place team looking to get younger could trade one of its bigger pieces away for a package of good young prospects. With the way thing are going in New York with the Yanks being under .500 and in 4th place, trading players away is not something that just comes out of left field...I still have no doubt you could see about the entire team traded away. Guys like Sheff, Flash, Stanton, Quantrill, perhaps Tino, Brown, and possibly others too could all be tradeable in a month.

Personally, I just don't think there is anyways that the Yanks will trade ARod. A complete NTC, an unbelievable large salary, and the fact that he is still in his prime and that he is probably the Yankees building block for atleast the next 5 years along with him doing very well all contribute to him probably being untradeable. I just do not see it happening.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jun 9, 2005 -> 07:37 PM)
Look sox-r-us, all of us would love to have A-Rod, but a trade for him is unrealistic unless we are giving up half our team. I don't know if JR would take on that much money. Our team would have to be sinking for the Sox to make a move like this.

I know it's unrealistic but a fan can dream can't he? :cheers

Its hard to knock the A-rod trade idea while calling for Mackowiak at the same time.  He is a terrible IF'er, so basically we traded for another Of'er while giving up our only backup 2B, nice.

I wouldn't call Mackowiak a "terrible infielder." He's obviously not as good defensively at 3rd base as Crede and as good as Willie at 2nd base but he's far from a butcher at both of those positions.

I know this sounds wierd, but I would rather have KW go after 2 solid players that would blend in with the team chemistry, rather than go after a mega-superstar like A-Rod. New York wouldn't even think of trading A-Rod this year anyways- even if they do have a down year. If anything New York will just try to unload the starting pitchers like Kevin Brown, Randy Johnson, Jarrod Wright exe....

I know this sounds wierd, but I would rather have KW go after 2 solid players that would blend in with the team chemistry, rather than go after a mega-superstar like A-Rod. New York wouldn't even think of trading A-Rod this year anyways- even if they do have a down year. If anything New York will just try to unload the starting pitchers like Kevin Brown, Randy Johnson, Jarrod Wright exe....

i think you are right. since the yanks blow this year, they probably will start unloading pitchers. i hope they get slammed all year.

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Jun 10, 2005 -> 03:57 AM)
Wow, Randa is just killing the ball...

Joe Randa

.299 AVG

.377 OBP

.492 SLG

.869 OPS

8 HR

35 RBI

24 BB

30 SO

Because his OBP (.377) is so high, the Reds are actually batting him 2nd in their lineup. :o

Ya, which is probably bad news...Cincy could ask alot more for the Joker right now given his current success.

Ya, which is probably bad news...Cincy could ask alot more for the Joker right now given his current success.

Even though Randa is smoking the ball, the Reds still can't expect much in return for a 35 year old 3rd baseman that's playing on a 1-year deal. A couple of mid-level prospects would probably get it done. What other teams need a 3rd baseman for the stretch run?

Edited by Jabroni

QUOTE(sayitanitso @ Jun 10, 2005 -> 04:41 AM)
It would be a dream come true for a Yankeeless playoffs and see everyone at ESPN s*** themselves.(of course with our Sox in the playoffs)

Im still hoping for the Orioles, White Sox, Twins, Rangers, Padres, Cardinals, Marlins, Arizona playoffs.... no one team espn will really go crazy over... maybe cardinals a little but thats about it.... What would make it all the sweeter is if by some act of god the brew crew won the NL Central ;)

Jeez...guess I am getting old...I remember going to watch Joe Randa play AA ball with the Memphis Chicks...nice guy. And now he is 35 years old....where did time go

He's 35 but he can apparently still rake. I'd take him. He signed a 1-year deal with the Reds for only $2.15 million. I sure wish Kenny would have given Randa the $2 million he wasted on Ben Davis and Timo Perez. :crying I guess he can still trade for him though. :pray