Daigle to Charlotte

Heads22

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Jun 29, 2005 -> 03:16 PM)
I'm wondering too about Spidale. Maybe they firgure he'll actually get playing time there.

The Spidale move makes no sense to me at all. If they had to move Spy then it should have been to Birmingham demote Gray who isn't ready for this level and bench warms. That also would allow Owens, Young and Sweeney to get a night off if they need it or in a massive slump without the offense taking a huge hit.

QUOTE(YahtzeeSox @ Jun 29, 2005 -> 04:35 PM)
Now is Daigle too old to be playing at Charlotte? If he continues tearing the place up he is now a legitimate prospect and no one can play the "He's too old for A ball" card.

MWAHAH!

Don't get your hopes up that high, he hit .238 in his only season in AA and has 1 at-bat in his career at AAA. The Sox must have figured it's now or never and Rogo isn't ready to be moved up.

I gotta hope that Spidale in W-S is temporary though. I can't imagine he's going to be there for long.

QUOTE(BHAMBARONS @ Jun 29, 2005 -> 03:36 PM)
The Spidale move makes no sense to me at all.  If they had to move Spy then it should have been to Birmingham demote Gray who isn't ready for this level and bench warms.  That also would allow Owens, Young and Sweeney to get a night off if they need it or in a massive slump without the offense taking a huge hit.

But they're probably thinking they'd rather Spidale play every day in W-S than just be a backup to Sweeney/Young/Owens. Looking at it that way it makes a little more sense. And here is Daigle's big opportunity, he may not ever get another one.

QUOTE(ChiSox_Sonix @ Jun 29, 2005 -> 04:47 PM)
But they're probably thinking they'd rather Spidale play every day in W-S than just be a backup to Sweeney/Young/Owens. Looking at it that way it makes a little more sense. And here is Daigle's big opportunity, he may not ever get another one.

The more I think about the more I agree. I am thinking Blakely might be moved to make room for Spidale seeing Spidale is a lot younger and still a somewhat prospect Blakely will turn 28 soon.

sorry if this has been posted already

http://www.charlotteknights.com/pressbox/g...ecaps/0629.html

DAIGLE GETS INTO THE SWING OF THINGS

FORT MILL, S.C. -Making his first start since being called up from Single-A Winston Salem, Leo Daigle's single drove in the game winning run in the bottom of the ninth to deliver the 5-4 Knights victory over the Pawtucket Red Sox. Daigle went 2-for-5 with a homerun and three RBIs.

Making the start for Pawtucket, Curt Schilling (0-1, 6.55) pitched five innings, allowing just one run on five hits while walking one and striking out three. Schilling threw 78 pitches and faced 21 Knights batters in the no-decision.

Jamie Burke (4-for-5, HR) went a perfect 3-for-3 against Schilling, tallying two singles, a double and a run scored. Jorge Toca (single) and Scott Bikowski (single) were the other two Knights to collect hits against Schilling.

All-Star Jeff Bajenaru improved to 3-1after working a scoreless ninth inning. For Pawtucket, Mark Malaska (1-2, 4.75) was credited with the loss after allowing two runs on three hits in just 1/3 of the ninth inning.

Dennis Ulacia worked 5 1/3 innings and allowed three runs on six hits in the no-decision. Ulacia gave up all three runs in the first inning and went on to pitch 4 1/3 scoreless innings. With one out in the first, Dave Berg doubled up the middle and scored on the single from Roberto Petagine. The next batter, Kelly Shoppach, made it 3-0 with a homerun over the left field wall.

The Knights got on the board in the third when Burke (single) scored on a single from Jorge Toca (2-for-5, RBI).

With Dave Sanders working from the mound, two fielding errors and a single added another run for Pawtucket in the seventh. Alejandro Machado, who reached on a fielding error by Daigle and moved to second on a fielding error by Joe Borchard, scored the run on the single from Berg.

A solo homerun from Burke, his fourth hit of the night, in the seventh made the score 4-2.

Daigle's solo round-tripper in the eighth off Tim Bausher put the Knights within one, and his single in the ninth drove in the game-winning run.

Mark Malaska entered to pitch the ninth and dealed the leadoff single to Ross Gload (1-for-5), who moved around to second a sacrifice bunt from Burke. Roosevelt Brown walked and Toca singled to load the bases. With one out, Daigle dropped a single into right field, scoring both Brown and Toca for the 5-4 victory.

With tonight's victory, the series is tied at one. Game three is tomorrow at 7:15 p.m. and features Eduardo Villacis (0-2, 10.06) on the mound against Pawtucket's Lenny DiNardo (2-2, 3.73).

Notes:

Leo Daigle was promoted from Single-A Winston Salem, 5-2, HR, 3 RBI.

Jamie Burke was 3-for-3 against Schilling and 4-5 with a sacrifice bunt on the night.