What Former Sox player should have his number

Southside hitmen

QUOTE(rangercal @ Jun 30, 2005 -> 02:18 AM)
I bet their are lots of teams that retired A LOT of non Hof's . Those franchises IMO , are the types that get looked down upon.  I know we have a few already

I think Baines is the only one.

I think hall of fame and a team retiring your number are completely different, To get your number retired is am honor from your team and it means you meant a lot to the franchise even if you arent a HOF, for example while we all hate him Ron Santo means a lot to the cubs franchise even if he wasnt an announcer and he had his number retired but isnt a HOF.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jun 30, 2005 -> 03:43 AM)
I think hall of fame and a team retiring your number are completely different,  To get your number retired is am honor from your team and it means you meant a lot to the franchise even if you arent a HOF, for example while we all hate him Ron Santo means a lot to the cubs franchise even if he wasnt an announcer and he had his number retired but isnt a HOF.

I can see your point. IMO, Santo should be in the Hall .... as should Pierce and Minoso.

QUOTE(jerseysox @ Jun 30, 2005 -> 02:30 AM)
Todd Ritchie

I take this as sarcasm. It's not just you Jersey, but I can't understand why everybody ridicules Todd Ritchie. Look up his day by day, he was good until he hurt his arm. Once hurt he was never the same, he had an operation and tried for years on various teams to come back but the flipper was broke.

To me this disappointment brings sadness but not derision.

QUOTE(IndplsSoxFan @ Jun 30, 2005 -> 08:31 AM)
Would it be possible to retire Shoeless Joe's number?  Well, did they even wear jersey numbers back then?

They didn't have numbers then. The mid 20's Yankees were the first to have numbers on their backs, and even then the number on their backs were corresponded to their spot in the batting order.