Sox @ A's 7/1 Game Thread 9:05CT

Spiff

• Replies 690
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This has sucked, and the analysis will follow, but in the here and now this game is still right there. Sure, it's all due to dumb luck. But it'll still be a win, there's no reason to get too upset now.

That said, I'm curious why we used our 2 least reliable bullpen arms first, while the game is still close. The game could much easier have been lost there than it could in the 8th w/ nobody out.

QUOTE(JohnStamos @ Jul 2, 2005 -> 12:10 AM)
I want to rip my f***in head off.  We can't throw strikes, we walk in two runs, we take 2 hours to play 5 innings of baseball, and THAT f***ING HORN IN THE BACKGROUND IS GNAWING INTO MY BRAIN.  JESUS CHRIST, can't they edit that s*** out of the background noise or something.

Haha, almost as bad as the singing vendor in Detroit.

QUOTE(Ozzie Montana @ Jul 1, 2005 -> 10:13 PM)
how many runs did they actually bat in instead of us giving it to them?  just curious.

:)

Edited by kman

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Jul 1, 2005 -> 10:11 PM)
The guy has like two major league seasons behind him. There isn't a whole lot of information to go by. The guy put together a solid two months of baseball, and things haven't changed that much. He's always going to walk a decent number of guys. In his recent struggles, the problem has been hits more than walks (4 homers in the Az game, 1 and 5 other hits in the other one). In his last 4, he's had one pretty good start, one mediocre one, and two bad ones (and this one of course). He still has to go a long way to get his numbers back to his previous totals.

This is exactly what he did against Boston a few times that basically got him run out of NY. Why trade a guy throwing 95 that you pay someone to take off your hands.

Guest JimH
Jim what do you think of what we have seen from Conteras lately.  Cause for concern.  Or do we just list it as an abberation.

I see the same thing you guys see, he is a freakin head case.

My take is, KW will not put up with a lot of this. He saw some of this last year and again this year.

Solution? Get another starter, put Contreras as your long man. No one wants to pay $6M for a long man but they cannot screw around indefinitely. Pesonally I think they will try to show faith in this guy and let him pitch next weekend vs. Oakland but then again they have an off day Thursday and then they're looking at the all star break. So they may work with him on the side and bring him back after trying to fix some things.

I am fine either way, but I don't sense too much more patience with this guy. I don't think they'll trade him because I don't think there is a market. He has a huge support group in Chicago ... El Duque, Ozzie, etc. He should be able to handle it but he isn't getting it done lately. He is running out of rope.

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Jul 2, 2005 -> 04:14 AM)
Did I mention I hate PK?

I'm confused... PK drew a lot of pitches out of Harden, helping put an end to his night. What am I missing?

Course now we'll get Duchscherer, Street. Out of the frying pan, etc.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jul 1, 2005 -> 11:13 PM)
This is exactly what he did against Boston a few times that basically got him run out of NY.  Why trade a guy throwing 95 that you pay someone to take off your hands.

The Yankees panic the second there is any trouble with any of their players. They never hang on to guys when they're struggling. Plus I wouldn't put to much stock in the personnel decisions of a team that willingly took Esteban Loaiza.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Jul 1, 2005 -> 11:17 PM)
I'm confused...  PK drew a lot of pitches out of Harden, helping put an end to his night.  What am I missing?

Course now we'll get Duchscherer, Street.  Out of the frying pan, etc.

That was solid to work the count, but he's now 0-3 and I'm just overall sick of his lack of everything but power.

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Jul 1, 2005 -> 10:16 PM)
Where's that guy with that rally thing that worked so well against the d-backs???

Post above you. That actually might not be a bad idea because we need to change the mojo period out here in Oakland.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jul 1, 2005 -> 11:15 PM)
He has a huge support group in Chicago ... El Duque, Ozzie, etc.  He should be able to handle it but he isn't getting it done lately.  He is running out of rope.

I honestly feel like Ozzie is tired of his s***, too. When Hawk and DJ start showing signs of not liking a guy, it leads me to believe a lot of people don't like him.