TRADE THREAD II ~ July 2 - July 8

Texsox

• Replies 812
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(JimH @ Jul 6, 2005 -> 02:35 PM)
Bullpen help.  And maybe a wayward chick from Starbucks.

well then it has to be viscaino because Takatsu has a no trade I believe and Politte, cotts, and hermy won't be going anywhere. The guy needs to come back tonight because there is a greater chance of seeing viscaino and jenks tonight.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jul 6, 2005 -> 02:40 PM)
Bullpen help no doubt.  A guy like Vizcaino would be the Dbags 8th inning guy.

Ok then who do we get back if viscaino goes, this would make sense especailly if jenks can prove he can pitch.

I don't see the love for Javier Vazquez. He pitched okay in Montreal, but when he moved to the AL, he added more than a run to his ERA, and hasn't taken it off back in Arizona. The only good sign I see in his numbers is that his walks are way down. He started the season getting torched, then he had a nice run of very good games, but recently he's back to getting torched game after game.

I also don't see much value in adding a young pitcher like Kip Wells (who someone mentioned) that has no playoff experience. Neither Buehrle nor Garland have any real experience (Buehrle made a short relief stint in 2000), which leaves Garcia as the only healthy starter who has pitched in pressure games.

If Schmidt is damaged goods or too expensive, the Sox need to keep looking to add a starting pitcher.

QUOTE(quickman @ Jul 6, 2005 -> 02:42 PM)
Ok then who do we get back if viscaino goes, this would make sense especailly if jenks can prove he can pitch.

The Sox could use someone who plays 1st/3rd, such as Alex Cintron, who is out of a job there. They could also use a 1b prospect to possibly succeed Pauly if he leaves after this year.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jul 6, 2005 -> 02:45 PM)
The Sox could use someone who plays 1st/3rd, such as Alex Cintron, who is out of a job there.  They could also use a 1b prospect to possibly succeed Pauly if he leaves after this year.

yes I brought that up earlier in the thread and the genious Jim shot it down. I am so pleased others like yourself think the same way I do!! HAH

QUOTE(quickman @ Jul 6, 2005 -> 02:57 PM)
yes I brought that up earlier in the thread and the genious Jim shot it down. I am so pleased others like yourself think the same way I do!! HAH

I'm still not convinced that Ross Gload is healthy, and/or is going to be able to stay healthy. He obviously was rushed back before, and it doesn't seem like they gave him much time for the type of injury that was desribed.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jul 6, 2005 -> 07:45 PM)
The Sox could use someone who plays 1st/3rd, such as Alex Cintron, who is out of a job there.  They could also use a 1b prospect to possibly succeed Pauly if he leaves after this year.

Or it could be someone they can turn around and package in a trade.

I was asking my friend in CA that's a Giants fan about the Schmidt rumors, and this what they found out yesterday.

Yesterday Ned Colletti, the assistant GM said "Trading Jason Schmidt in no way would put this team in a better position. We have no intentions of trading [schmidt]. All talk is just that: talk."

I think the FSN.com had this up, I got it from the Chronicle, and heard him say it on KNBR (the SF sports radio station) yesterday.

I like Moyer as well but if you are still hoping that El Duque finishes strong to start in the post season then Lilly adds more to your bullpen than Moyer.

Moyer Pitches 1-15 58AB .362BAA .937OOP, Pitches 16-30 53AB .302BAA .882OOP

Lilly Pitches 1-15 54AB .204BAA .623OOP, Pitches 16-30 57AB .263BAA .774OOP

Lilly is the much better bet to work out of the bullpen.

Right now I am rooting heavily against Toronto. I want them to fall out of it quickly so we can get Lilly cheap. Schmidt, Vazquez, even Burnett all look like bigger risks to me than Lilly. Now if Clemens, Beckett, or Glavine are available you'd be a fool to meet the demands for that trade.

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Jul 7, 2005 -> 06:23 AM)
I like Moyer as well but if you are still hoping that El Duque finishes strong to start in the post season then Lilly adds more to your bullpen than Moyer.

Moyer  Pitches 1-15 58AB .362BAA .937OOP, Pitches 16-30 53AB .302BAA .882OOP

Lilly Pitches 1-15 54AB .204BAA .623OOP, Pitches 16-30 57AB .263BAA .774OOP

Lilly is the much better bet to work out of the bullpen. 

Right now I am rooting heavily against Toronto.  I want them to fall out of it quickly so we can get Lilly cheap.  Schmidt, Vazquez, even Burnett all look like bigger risks to me than Lilly.  Now if Clemens, Beckett, or Glavine are available you'd be a fool to meet the demands for that trade.

Why get Lilly to work out of the bullpen? Trade for Miguel Batista instead, or if you really want a lefty, Ron Villone of Seattle.

If the starting pitching on the market isn't worth the price, or doesn't provide enough likely return on investment, should the Sox consider shoring up the bullpen as a possible alternative?

Here's an article on Eddie Guardado.

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/news/tra...ne/index_05.jsp

He would protect against any kind of meltdown by Hermanson. He keeps us from having to use Marte, who can be erratic. He can set up or close. And I would think he might have additional value keeping him away from the Red Sox, who will likely be our ALDS opponent. If Boston gets Schilling back and fixes their bullpen, they will be formidable adversaries.

I'd be wary of bidding too much for him, and many have said he may have arm troubles. But I'd sure hate to see him in a Boston uniform closing games against us in October.

QUOTE(VAfan @ Jul 6, 2005 -> 03:58 PM)
If the starting pitching on the market isn't worth the price, or doesn't provide enough likely return on investment, should the Sox consider shoring up the bullpen as a possible alternative? 

Here's an article on Eddie Guardado.

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/news/tra...ne/index_05.jsp

He would protect against any kind of meltdown by Hermanson.  He keeps us from having to use Marte, who can be erratic.  He can set up or close.  And I would think he might have additional value keeping him away from the Red Sox, who will likely be our ALDS opponent.  If Boston gets Schilling back and fixes their bullpen, they will be formidable adversaries. 

I'd be wary of bidding too much for him, and many have said he may have arm troubles.  But I'd sure hate to see him in a Boston uniform closing games against us in October.

Our bullpen should be just fine when Marte returns. Shingo and Viz are perfectly acceptable for their roles, and our back-end is terrific with Hermanson, Politte, and Cotts. I would much rather the Sox fix their embarassing offense against RHP (still dead last in BA and 25th in OPS).

Could the Sox want Chad Tracy? The Dbags have Tony Clark ripping the cover off the ball, as is Tracy, but Clark is sitting. Tracy is blocked by Glaus at 3rd. Which I believe is his natural position. He's young, I think cheap, and would be a good starter just in case we don't resign either Pauly or Crede. Just a thought.

QUOTE(TheDybber @ Jul 7, 2005 -> 08:06 AM)
Could the Sox want Chad Tracy?  The Dbags have Tony Clark ripping the cover off the ball, as is Tracy, but Clark is sitting.  Tracy is blocked by Glaus at 3rd.  Which I believe is his natural position.  He's young, I think cheap, and would be a good starter just in case we don't resign either Pauly or Crede.  Just a thought.

The D-Backs are going to want real good young pitching for Chad. I think if he's traded, the New York Mets are the team that will make a move for him.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 6, 2005 -> 10:10 PM)
The D-Backs are going to want real good young pitching for Chad. I think if he's traded, the New York Mets are the team that will make a move for him.

So you're saying the Mike Piazza First Base Experiment is over? DAMMIT!!! :D :aussie:

QUOTE(JimH @ Jul 6, 2005 -> 07:03 PM)
It seems to fit.  Not saying those three guys specifically for Vazquez but I don't think this is beyond the realm of possibility.  The Sox have always wanted Vazquez, no doubt about that.  I would not be surprised.

Unless Jenks falls flat on his face, my guess is this a guy Guillen and KW want on the team for more than just 7 days.  He is a huge power arm, completely different than anyone else on the staff.  But if he stays and Marte comes back, someone has to go besides Kevin Walker.

I think Vizcaino is coming around and is better than he's shown, but if he is a key bullet to get a starter, so be it.

Something is up.

vizcaino would have the 2nd best ERA on the DBacks pen

Well that's the whole challenge before KW. You're basically trading for a starter as insurance against El Duque. That starter needs to be able to get it done in the pen as well.

I'm not sure how many guys qualify for that dual role.

The Chicago Sun-Times reports the White Sox are looking for another starter and Jason Schmidt's name has come up in trade rumors. However, White Sox skipper Ozzie Guillen denied it. ... Another report out of Daily Southtown says GM Ken Williams would put together almost any package for Astros ace Roger Clemens, however, a trade for 'The Rocket' is considered a pipe dream.

via http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/story/MLB_SC-RUMOR

Guest JimH

Ted Lilly won his 5th straight tonite. I can certainly see why the White Sox were interested in him. I also understand why Toronto wants to keep him.