TRADE THREAD II ~ July 2 - July 8

Texsox

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 7, 2005 -> 06:48 PM)
If they lock him up long term, I'd be so stinking giddy over that deal.  Heck, anyone think they'd have some interest in Duque. 

Sox are frustrated with Duque, they deal Duque, Marte, and say Gio or Tracey plus a guy like Owens. 

The deal gives the Marlins some help in the future but it also helps the Marlins this year because they get a guy that can pitch for them down the stretch (Duque) as well as Marte who can be an asset for them in the pen.

And if they lock him up long term and the Marlins were sticklers, if worse came to worse I'd give them an Anderson or Bmac instead of Gio or Tracey to get it done.  This is only if he were signed long term or at least if the Sox were going to give it a gung ho effort. 

Than they could turn their attention to picking up a lefty reliever.

Id never deal Gio, kids gonna be great.

• Replies 812
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(VAfan @ Jul 7, 2005 -> 12:39 PM)
Trade for Burnett and Guardado?  Who wouldn't be giddy about that until you realize both may be gone next year, along with all the prospects that would be required to secure them.

I would be giddy because the White Sox would finally be going for it, not trying to play for 5 or 6 years from now. Most of the prospects the White Sox have traded have done little at the major league level. If the White Sox don't win it all, then cry about the lost prospects. Frankly, I have come to take quickman's thinking on the subject of minor leaguers. Most are far better being used as trading chips than they ever will be on a major league field.

Also want to say, Sox are going to make two moves at most, imo. One for a starter, one for a reliever. The only exception to that is if a position player gest injured or if the Sox get Vizquel.

That or if some super star offensive player is available and Kenny can get him. You know damn well Kenny is looking to add one more very very good player.

Burnett is the best guy on the market and would be a sweet pickup.

QUOTE(He_Gawn @ Jul 7, 2005 -> 12:51 PM)
Id never deal Gio, kids gonna be great.

He's in high a ball. He's got a long way to go with some injury and durability questions hanging over his head. He's got a chance to be special but that's far from happening at this point and Burnett already is special.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 7, 2005 -> 10:51 AM)
Ok right now, if you could deal El Duque, Damaso Marte and Sean Tracey for a locked up A.J Burnett would you do it? Abso-freakin-lutely I would.

Ya, like I said I'd deal them Bmac instead of Tracey and throw in Owens as well if he were locked up. I think Burnett is awesome.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jul 7, 2005 -> 01:51 PM)
I got my hopes up too far for Schmidt, so I'm not even gonna consider this one until it goes through.  I'll be ecstatic if it happens, but my hopes won't be getting high for this one.

same here but it gets me excited so i tend to believe it all, i know we will get a pitcher though

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 7, 2005 -> 12:51 PM)
I would be giddy because the White Sox would finally be going for it, not trying to play for 5 or 6 years from now. Most of the prospects the White Sox have traded have done little at the major league level. If the White Sox don't win it all, then cry about the lost prospects. Frankly, I have come to take quickman's thinking on the subject of minor leaguers. Most are far better being used as trading chips than they ever will be on a major league field.

That's all fine and dandy until we lose in the ALCS. Then Kenny will look like a bafoon for trading our top prospects for 3 month rentals. I'm all for trading for Burnett, but only if we can resign him.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2005 @ Jul 7, 2005 -> 01:54 PM)
That's all fine and dandy until we lose in the ALCS.  Then Kenny will look like a bafoon for trading our top prospects for 3 month rentals.  I'm all for trading for Burnett,  but only if we can resign him.

^That.^ That's the only thing that makes me reluctant about all this.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jul 7, 2005 -> 12:51 PM)
I got my hopes up too far for Schmidt, so I'm not even gonna consider this one until it goes through.  I'll be ecstatic if it happens, but my hopes won't be getting high for this one.

The possiblity of landing Burnett blows away the Schmidt rumor. Schmidt's 5.11 era just scares the you know what outta me.

QUOTE(chi-guy2 @ Jul 7, 2005 -> 06:45 PM)
sounds like from what im hearing were looking at the following pitchers:

aj burnett

ted lilly

jason schmidt

billy wagner

eddie guardado

If that's the case, Lilly makes the most sense.

Guardado would be next on my list.

We have no need for Wagner.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 8, 2005 -> 04:52 AM)
Ya, like I said I'd deal them Bmac instead of Tracey and throw in Owens as well if he were locked up.  I think Burnett is awesome.

That's another interesting thing. With the prospects, would you rather include Sean Tracey and Ryan Sweeney or Brandon McCarthy and Jerry Owens? I think a lot of people are going to be split on this one.

And Burnett's performance last night against the Brewers;

A.J. Burnett struck out 14 Brewers tonight but was not involved in the decision as he allowed four runs over six innings of work.

He gave up only four hits, but Burnett also walked five and let a runner score on a wild pitch. Burnett needed 124 pitches to complete just the six innings, with 51 of the pitches being out of the strike zone. The 14 strikeouts are great, but the efficient version of Burnett that surfaced earlier in the season is a better bet to help the Marlins or another team if he’s traded.

QUOTE(whitesoxin' @ Jul 7, 2005 -> 12:57 PM)
Say no to Eddie! He has lost velocity and is playing with a partially torn rotator cuff. He is a trainwreck waiting to happen.

He keeps getting the job done though. The thing with Eddie is he never relied on velocity to get hitters out so while it's obviously still a concern, his drop in velocity isn't a career ender like it was for Koch.

QUOTE(whitesoxin' @ Jul 7, 2005 -> 06:57 PM)
Say no to Eddie! He has lost velocity and is playing with a partially torn rotator cuff. He is a trainwreck waiting to happen.

Forgot about that, he does have a partially torn cuff.

Also, one of the reasons he has Boston on his no-trade list is because he wants to close and they have (had) Foulke.

He really doesn't make sense for us in that light because he wouldn't be doing much closing here.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 7, 2005 -> 12:32 PM)
I'm all for trading for Burnett IF we can re-sign him to a new deal when he's acquired like Freddy Garcia. Now if that does happen, a package of Marte, Tracey and an outfield prospect sounds pretty good to me. Of course the Sox can then go trade for a lefty like Ron Villone from Seattle to do what Damaso was doing. This way, Brandon doesn't have to be rushed, and he'll be ready at 2007 when the contract's of 2 of our starters will be finished.

just outa curiosity, whats up with your fetish for ron villone?