TRADE THREAD III ~July 9 - July 15

Texsox

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 12, 2005 -> 02:21 PM)
...Whatever, all this talk is probably for nothing because I doubt we trade for Omar.

Ding Ding Ding. I'm all for waiting for a move to be done before discussing it, but I guess there isnt much else to talk about during the ASB.

• Replies 875
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dont know if it was posted,On ESPN insider it said texas may be shopping Rogers and the only 2 teams listed as interested was the Twins and White Sox :huh:

Just thought id pass that along

Edited by Spod=Ratings

QUOTE(Spod=Ratings @ Jul 12, 2005 -> 04:24 PM)
Dont know if it was posted,On ESPN insider it said texas may be shopping Rogers and the only 2 teams listed as interested was the Twins and White Sox :huh:

He is still a good pitcher, just a huge ginormous nutcase....but so were Carl and AJ?

QUOTE(Spod=Ratings @ Jul 12, 2005 -> 08:24 PM)

they probably listed the sox as interested in rogers because of phil rogers column today, much like last week's sox "interest" in griffey spurred by ladewski's column.

someone needs to explain to espn the difference between a news story and an opinion piece.

QUOTE(Spod=Ratings @ Jul 12, 2005 -> 03:24 PM)

Consider his suspension is coming up...and he is a pain in the ass...what do we think this guy will cost?

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ Jul 12, 2005 -> 04:28 PM)
Consider his suspension is coming up...and he is a pain in the ass...what do we think this guy will cost?

A bag of low-sodium potato chips and a pencil.

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ Jul 12, 2005 -> 01:28 PM)

Texas is in desperate need of quality starting pitching. They have plenty of young hitting. I have trouble believing they'd actually shop Rogers for exactly that reason, but if by some chance they actually did, I'd guess 2 starting pitchers. They'd certainly try to grab BMac, but if we remained firm in saying he was untouchable, when the trade deadline rolled around they might be more flexible and take 2 starting pitcher prospects not named McCarthy for him.

Edited by Balta1701

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jul 12, 2005 -> 03:14 PM)
That's an interesting twist and a good perspective on when the Yankees fell apart.  The thing is you don't want to get 5 years down the road and look back and see Jon Garland and Dontrelle Willis at the All-Star game, meanwhile still looking for guys to fill their shoes.  Tomorrows stars come from somewhere, and it isn't todays 35 year old declining players.  There is a delicate balance here.  If you aren't the Yankees you can't afford a $10 million starter at every position and you need some $500,000/yr starters to go with your $10 million/ yr starters.  You can't just rape the farm system hoping to win today or you end up in a hole like Detroit, Yankees, Mets, Orioles etc, where it takes years to recover.

I need a better understanding of why they play baseball, is it to win the world series? How many times do we have a team like this? I mean a legit chance with real good pitching? The Twins are not the same this year, and the Tribe may only be two pitchers away next year.Time to strike. Screw the farm.

Remember- Borchard,myette, olivo,stumm, wing, Ruffcorn, Snopek,Rauch, Caruso,Pearson,Scott Christman, MarK Johnson,Leifer,Dallearo,Honel, Tim Hulet, Joel Skinner, Kenny Williams,JimSiwy,Tony Menendez, Russ Morman, Tom Forrester,Ken Patterson, Melido Perez,Adam Peterson,Johnny Ruffin, Ramon Garcia,Rod Bolton,Brandon Wilson,Steve Schrenk,Brian Boeringer,Jeff Abbott,Greg Norton,Luis Andujar,Mckay Christiansen,mario Valdez, Josh Paul,Tom Fordam,Brian Simmons,Lorenzo Barcelo, Jason Dellero,kevin Bierne,pat denaker,Matt Ginter,Brian West,Corwin malone, Dennis Ulacia,TIm Hummel,Felix Daiz, and on and on and and On.

You see I had to hear about all these guys at one time or another being within our top prospect list. If your a blue chip prospect then keep them if not they all suck.

QUOTE(Spod=Ratings @ Jul 12, 2005 -> 03:24 PM)

He is represented by Boras, and he has played for minnesota. Guess where he will go.

QUOTE(quickman @ Jul 12, 2005 -> 02:33 PM)
I need a better understanding of why they play baseball, is it to win the world series? How many times do we have a team like this? I mean a legit chance with real good pitching? The Twins are not the same this year, and the Tribe may only be two pitchers away next year.Time to strike. Screw the farm.

Remember- Borchard,myette, olivo,stumm, wing, Ruffcorn, Snopek,Rauch, Caruso,Pearson,Scott Christman, MarK Johnson,Leifer,Dallearo,Honel, Tim Hulet, Joel Skinner, Kenny Williams,JimSiwy,Tony Menendez, Russ Morman, Tom Forrester,Ken Patterson, Melido Perez,Adam Peterson,Johnny Ruffin, Ramon Garcia,Rod Bolton,Brandon Wilson,Steve Schrenk,Brian Boeringer,Jeff Abbott,Greg Norton,Luis Andujar,Mckay Christiansen,mario Valdez, Josh Paul,Tom Fordam,Brian Simmons,Lorenzo Barcelo, Jason Dellero,kevin Bierne,pat denaker,Matt Ginter,Brian West,Corwin malone, Dennis Ulacia,TIm Hummel,Felix Daiz, and on and on and and On. 

You see I had to hear about all these guys at one time or another being within our top prospect list. If your a blue chip prospect then keep them if not they all suck.

Whats the percentage of the pitching prospects that are in the bunch above that had the dreaded "torn labrum" during the mad "torn labrum outbreak of the late 90's"

QUOTE(quickman @ Jul 12, 2005 -> 04:33 PM)

All Solid ballplayers!

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 12, 2005 -> 02:51 PM)
I think my whole perspective on this trade discussion can be summed up by these words from Gammons.

I'm not really sure what point Gammons or Brian Cashman are trying to prove. The Yankees won those 5 championships with only 3 self-developed position players (Jeter, Bernie, Posada [and he wasn't a starter until the 3rd championship run]), one starting pitcher (Pettite), and one reliever (Rivera). Their teams were always built around free-agent and trade acquisitions.

The Braves, on the other hand, are an extreme example of a team capable of developing their own talent. But they've also signed their share of free agents.

I don't think we can compare those teams to the White Sox, as we just don't have comparable financial resources (Yankees, Braves of the 90s) or minor league player development (Braves).

QUOTE(quickman @ Jul 12, 2005 -> 03:36 PM)
He is represented by Boras, and he has played for minnesota. Guess where he will go.

KW better trade for a starter to top that. If KW knew that Minnesota was about to trade for Rogers, he'd better step in to prevent him from going there or get someone that's better than Rogers.

QUOTE(Frankensteiner @ Jul 12, 2005 -> 03:41 PM)
I'm not really sure what point Gammons or Brian Cashman are trying to prove. The Yankees won those 5 championships with only 3 self-developed position players (Jeter, Bernie, Posada [and he wasn't a starter until the 3rd championship run]), one starting pitcher (Pettite), and one reliever (Rivera). Their teams were always built around free-agent and trade acquisitions.

The Braves, on the other hand, are an extreme example of a team capable of developing their own talent. But they've also signed their share of free agents.

I don't think we can compare those teams to the White Sox, as we just don't have comparable financial resources (Yankees, Braves of the 90s) or minor league player development (Braves).

I agree and in addition I think the braves, have better scouting and a better org than we will ever have.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jul 12, 2005 -> 02:43 PM)
KW better trade for a starter to top that.  If KW knew that Minnesota was about to trade for Rogers, he'd better step in to prevent him from going there or get someone that's better than Rogers.

If the Twins make another trade it'll be for another bat, I'm fairly certain in that respect.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jul 12, 2005 -> 03:28 PM)
I think your ideas leave the bullpen a little weak in the long reliever area.  But that is certainly trading the farm to try and make a run, I will give you that.  However, we wont make that many moves.

But in the deals I would make I wouldn't necessarily give up all 3 of Marte, Takatsu and Vizcaino. I think Marte would be the key to a Guardado trade or I'd keep him. But SF wouldn't get both Takatsu and Vizcaino, and might not want either. Then you'd have the same bullpen we have now with Guardado for Marte. Jenks, in that case, would likely keep developing in AA.

And a week ago I would have only made the Schmidt-Vizquel trade. Crede's back troubles and Ozuna's inability to cover 3B revived my earlier interest in trading for Aubrey Huff, while Cott's recent slippage and Marte's continued arm troubles have revived my interest in Guardado.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jul 12, 2005 -> 03:43 PM)
KW better trade for a starter to top that.  If KW knew that Minnesota was about to trade for Rogers, he'd better step in to prevent him from going there or get someone that's better than Rogers.

ahh hah, (not with reference to you) so if the other teams get better then its good to trade? The twins and Tribe will make trades, why in the world would the sox sit on there hands.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 12, 2005 -> 03:44 PM)
If the Twins make another trade it'll be for another bat, I'm fairly certain in that respect.

As in Joe Randa? That's pretty much the only place that they can now upgrade, considering there's no SS's on the market...at least that I know of.

QUOTE(quickman @ Jul 12, 2005 -> 03:45 PM)
ahh hah, (not with reference to you) so if the other teams get better then its good to trade? The twins and Tribe will make trades, why in the world would the sox sit on there hands.

28 games over .500, that's why. If you don't believe in this team, why don't you just get out?!

QUOTE(qwerty @ Jul 12, 2005 -> 04:56 PM)
Chances of him being dealt this season are probally closer to 0% unless they get a crazy offer they cannot refuse. They honestly have no reason to be moving him now when they can get the same value at the end of the season or early on into next season. No, joe borchard, ross gload, vizcaino, starting pitchers could not even get close to huff. We would be lucky if those guys brought us back jose mesa let alone one of the younger, good hitting lefties ( pretty cheap for the numbers he puts up) in aubrey huff.

So Huff is not a free agent at the end of the year? Okay, I now realize that he has one more year to freedom. So my next question is whether he is signed or arbitration eligible? If the latter, TB may still trade him and they can't demand much.

But I'm willing to go with Plan B at 3B - Joe Randa. It is more troubling because there is no obvious way to mix him in with Joe Crede and I'm not willing to trade Crede. And there's no obvious way to mix him with Paul Konerko. But we need insurance against Crede's back tightness flaring up into a full blown trip to the DL.