TRADE THREAD III ~July 9 - July 15

Texsox

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jul 13, 2005 -> 11:53 AM)
I was thinking that his throwing session over the AS break got no pub whatsoever. You know if ozzie and KW liked what they saw, it would be all over the media. I dont think he is healthy either.

He was slated to throw that session today, so I'm assuming thats why there isn't any pub. You'll probably see a minor tidbit in tomorrows paper.

• Replies 875
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PUt it this way...if Aj Burnett is on the board and the Sox are able to talk to his agent and convince him on a 3 yr deal worth 30 mill with a 4th year option at say 12 mill (team option). That would be a package that could be worth as much as 4yr 42 mill, than I think I'd get the deal done for as much as Marte/Duque/Bmac or Anderson or Sweeney/Mid Level Prospect

I would think taht would be enough. If they run the risk of not signing him, than I'd give up more along the lines of Duque/Jenks/Anderson or Sweeney or Owens/Baj.

Burnett would be the best guy the Sox could add (to this rotation). I'm also convinced you have a higher chance of winning a deal when you are planning on keeping a guy long term (as opposed to a one year rental).

Basically put, I'd give up a hell of a lot to get AJ why wouldn't the Marlins be interested in the top package. They get a starter in Duque (who could fill in for AJ at a cheaper rate), a reliever in Marte (whose very good), a good prospect (I'd prefer to give them one of the OF's), and than a solid mid level guy.

The Sox would than still have quite a few chips to go out and get Eddie Guardado or someone along those lines and shore up the pen a bit. Rotation would be set and you'd still have a guy like Bmac there to back up. The Sox could even get ballsy and offer up a package for Omar.

Let's consider the rest of the rotation's post-season experience:

Mark - 1/3rd of an inning in 2000. 0ERA

Freddy - 15IP, 2W-0L 3.60ERA in 2000. 19IP, 1W-2L, 3.79ERA in 2001.

Contra - no post season experience.

Jon - no post season experience.

El Duque has more experience than the rest of the rotation combined.

Look at Burnett, Schmidt, & Rogers:

Burnett - no post season experience

Schmidt - 9IP 1W, 0ERA 2003. 24IP, 2W-1L, 4.24ERA 2002

Rogers - < 2IP, scoreless 2003

If you are going to spend the prospects for a starter then go for Schmidt.

Schmidt outlasted Beckett to pitch a CG 2-0 SO in the playoffs.

He's yours for $10M in 2006 then he's a FA. So that gives you two runs with Schmidty.

That was a special year for him:

Apr 03 35IP, 3W-0L 1.77ERA

May 03 35IP, 1W-1L 3.31ERA

Jun 03 47IP, 4W-2L 1.53ERA

Jul 03 26IP, 3W-0L 3.81ERA

Aug 03 35IP, 3W-1L 1.27ERA

Sep 03 28IP, 3W-0L 3.18ERA

What is it that I am suppose to like about Burnett?

2002 mo era's: 2.11, 5.35, 2.54, 4.99, 1.64, 4.05

2003 mo era's: 4.70 over 23IP .. that's it

2004 mo era's: DNP Apr, May. 5.04, 3.99, 2.83, 2.51

2005 mo era's: 2.43, 3.48, 3.57, 5.23 (early in Jul)

The Marlins are 2 gms over .500, 7 gb of WAS in the NLE, & 4.5 gb of ATL for the NLWC.

Let's be realistic. If they are trading Burnett it's because 1) they are buyers & using him to upgrade their rotation or 2) they are sellers & throwing in the towel.

If it is 2) they are not going to want El Duque or Marte because throwing in the towel means bringing guys up. They don't have a fan base to concern themselves with as far competing after trading Burnett.

That means they will hold out for the highest offer possible before trading Burnett. I think is very premature thinking to believe they are sellers.

Apr 14W, May 13W, Jun 13W, Jul 4W. They are on pace to win 81 gms.

Last yr's WC won 92 gms. They need to win 48 of their remaining 76.

They have 4 solid starters in Beckett, Burnett, Willis, & Moehler.

Olsen has come on nicely in place of the failed Lieter. If they can win with Olsen why would this team sell? It makes no sense.

Schmidt is the only guy I've heard so far that makes sense. SFG are all but done for in 2005.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jul 13, 2005 -> 12:19 PM)
Well if this is true and there's no reason to believe it isn't true, KW is going into aggresive mode again.  It's just a matter of time.  Again, Burnett is a guy with a different look ... unlike any of the other 5 currently in the rotation.  Burnett is a true power pitcher.  KW likes all his pitchers to have different looks, from that perspective it makes sense he's pursuing this guy.

Burnett would give the sox their strike out SP. But my guess is the MArlins would want Cotts or Marte as the biggest piece

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 13, 2005 -> 12:49 PM)
Cotts stays.  If they want viz they can have him.  The interesting name you mentioned is Jenks.  As much as I love Jenks arm, for a guy like Burnett he'd be expendable.  Beck, that really is a great point with Jenks, I could honestly see Bobby being the center piece of a deal for Burnett.  Obviously they'd want more then Bobby but that could definitely be a start.

I like Cotts too. Yet if you were FLA wouldn't you want him when you only have 1 LHP?

Jenks would be a nice guy for a non contending team that's rebuilding

QUOTE(beck72 @ Jul 13, 2005 -> 05:52 PM)
I like Cotts too. Yet if you were FLA wouldn't you want him when you only have 1 LHP?

Jenks would be a nice guy for a non contending team that's rebuilding

At this point, I might be more prepared to trade Marte than Cotts. When was the last time we could trully trust Marte when he came in? I think he's one of those players who carries more name than talent. He was dominant a few years ago, became known, and has yet to revive his form.

QUOTE(sircaffey @ Jul 13, 2005 -> 11:56 PM)
At this point, I might be more prepared to trade Marte than Cotts.  When was the last time we could trully trust Marte when he came in?  I think he's one of those players who carries more name than talent.  He was dominant a few years ago, became known, and has yet to revive his form.

I'd be more inclined to trade Marte as well. His numbers seem real deceiving. Yet from all accounts, a FLA scout was in CHi for the A's series. No Marte

QUOTE(beck72 @ Jul 13, 2005 -> 05:59 PM)
I'd be more inclined to trade Marte as well. His numbers seem real deceiving. Yet from all accounts, a FLA scout was in CHi for the A's series. No Marte

I would center a deal for Burnett around either Cotts or Marte. Doesn't matter to me.

QUOTE(sircaffey @ Jul 14, 2005 -> 12:01 AM)
I would center a deal for Burnett around either Cotts or Marte.  Doesn't matter to me.

It would be a high price for a guy like Burnett. Far more than we probably expect or could speculate

http://minorleaguebaseball.com/app/milb/ev...mes.jsp?mc=_sou

While you are dreaming that the Marlins will trade you Burnett for reasons that defy logic :D check out your AA all-stars.

(LH) Paulino Reynoso - Birmingham

(RH) Sean Tracey - Birmingham

(LH) Ryan Meaux - Birmingham

Chris Stewart - Birmingham

Casey Rogowski - Birmingham STARTING 1B

Edited by JUGGERNAUT

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Jul 13, 2005 -> 07:25 PM)

While you are dreaming that the Marlins will trade you Burnett for reasons that defy logic :D check out your AA all-stars.  6 Barons made the team.

There must be a logical reason if all of these reports are right and we're going after him harder than any other team.

There must be a logical reason if all of these reports are right and we're going after him harder than any other team.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/sfl-bur...ports-headlines

By no means are the Marlins resigned to dealing A.J. Burnett before month's end. Before the Marlins trade Burnett, they must be certain they can find a suitable replacement in the rotation.

Hmmm .. the Marlins thing Burnett is easily replaceable. Go figure ;)

Rogowski's playing 1B. Go watch.

It looks like that Washington/Colorado trade has finally been agreed upon with the White Sox not being a 3rd party. Wilson to Washington, Day and Davis to Colorado. Colorado is supposed to be close to getting Eric Byrnes from Oakland for pitching. Maybe that's why Beane picked up Payton.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 13, 2005 -> 07:49 PM)
It looks like that Washington/Colorado trade has finally been agreed apon with the White Sox not being a 3rd party. Wilson to Washington, Day and Davis to Colorado. Colorado is supposed to be close to getting Eric Byrnes from Oakland for pitching. Maybe that's why Beane picked up Payton.

I believe we will be happy we did not try to get involved...

I believe we will be happy we did not try to get involved...

Yes, assuming something bigger is on the horizon for the White Sox.

Interesting the Florida article mentions the Marlins are asking about Aaron Harang of the Reds. He is another guy who'd fit well on the south side.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 13, 2005 -> 05:49 PM)
It looks like that Washington/Colorado trade has finally been agreed apon with the White Sox not being a 3rd party. Wilson to Washington, Day and Davis to Colorado. Colorado is supposed to be close to getting Eric Byrnes from Oakland for pitching. Maybe that's why Beane picked up Payton.

Maybe I'm missing something, but why exactly would Colorado want Byrnes?

QUOTE(JimH @ Jul 14, 2005 -> 12:53 AM)
Yes, assuming something bigger is on the horizon for the White Sox.

Interesting the Florida article mentions the Marlins are asking about Aaron Harang of the Reds.  He is another guy who'd fit well on the south side.

There would have been a lot of happy people on this board if Williams would have landed Day.

It's the small move that Williams seems to do real well at. The Marte-for-Guerrier. The Loaiza pickup. The Politte pickup. Uribe for Miles.

Day would've been a nice swingman who could be molded into a fifth starter for next season. Ah, well...

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Jul 13, 2005 -> 07:25 PM)

While you are dreaming that the Marlins will trade you Burnett for reasons that defy logic :D check out your AA all-stars. 

(LH) Paulino Reynoso - Birmingham

(RH) Sean Tracey - Birmingham

(LH) Ryan Meaux - Birmingham

Chris Stewart - Birmingham

Casey Rogowski - Birmingham STARTING 1B

who cares, do they play for us? Will they help us win the world series this year?

who cares, do they play for us? Will they help us win the world series this year?

BTW thanks for the Al's Beef today, you were right about the giardiniera, awful. However I definitely like the beef better than you, I found it a suitably average beef sandwich, although not in Stan's Drive In class. And I sent you something on Cobblestone's today.

Now, on to the trades, things are opening up. Payton, Bradford, and supposedly this Preston Wilson deal. As soon as you leave, the floodgates will open, right when you have no internet access, you will definitely need to take it easy on yourself.

Over/under on number of days Willie Harris is still on the team?

QUOTE(JimH @ Jul 13, 2005 -> 08:15 PM)
BTW thanks for the Al's Beef today, you were right about the giardiniera, awful.  However I definitely like the beef better than you, I found it a suitably average beef sandwich, although not in Stan's Drive In class.  And I sent you something on Cobblestone's today.

Now, on to the trades, things are opening up.  Payton, Bradford, and supposedly this Preston Wilson deal.  As soon as you leave, the floodgates will open, right when you have no internet access, you will definitely need to take it easy on yourself.

Willie is gone tommorrow.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jul 14, 2005 -> 01:15 AM)
BTW thanks for the Al's Beef today, you were right about the giardiniera, awful.  However I definitely like the beef better than you, I found it a suitably average beef sandwich, although not in Stan's Drive In class.  And I sent you something on Cobblestone's today.

Now, on to the trades, things are opening up.  Payton, Bradford, and supposedly this Preston Wilson deal.  As soon as you leave, the floodgates will open, right when you have no internet access, you will definitely need to take it easy on yourself.

You were at Al's Beef today?

My dad and I stopped by on the way home from Rush. Good beef sammich's, messy, but good.