The Gooch

Steve9347

As everyone knows, Tadahito Iguchi has been asbolutely splendid this year. However, it seems that the league may have adjusted to him. Here are some telling splits.

APRIL .333

MAY .275

JUNE .244

Tad is currently batting .250 in July.

What do you guys think? Is the league adjusting to him and should we expect these numbers to continue their downward trend, or will he rebound.

I think he will finish this season with an average between .260 and .270

Edited by Steve9347

I think you're reading too much into it. Sure, the pitchers are adjusting to him, but he's also a 2-hole hitter, and gives up a lot of outs to move Scotty over, so that might be a part of why his average is down. Besides, baseball is a game of adjustments, so the pitchers have adjusted to him, and now he has to adjust to their adjustments. Then it just keeps going back and forth. As far as I'm concerned, if he finishes with an average in the .280s (where he's at now), he's done very well.

QUOTE(Dam8610 @ Jul 11, 2005 -> 03:07 PM)
I think you're reading too much into it. Sure, the pitchers are adjusting to him, but he's also a 2-hole hitter, and gives up a lot of outs to move Scotty over, so that might be a part of why his average is down. Besides, baseball is a game of adjustments, so the pitchers have adjusted to him, and now he has to adjust to their adjustments. Then it just keeps going back and forth. As far as I'm concerned, if he finishes with an average in the .280s (where he's at now), he's done very well.

The point about him giving up outs to Pods is a very good one. Either way, he looks way better than willie harris ever did... I was just noticing a downward trend.

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Jul 11, 2005 -> 03:11 PM)
The point about him giving up outs to Pods is a very good one.  Either way, he looks way better than willie harris ever did... I was just noticing a downward trend.

You are looking too much at the numbers and not enough at the games in front of you. I would be willing to bet that there is a direct inverse correlation between Pods OBP% and Tadahito's BA. The more often that Pods is on base, the more often that Tads gives up an AB to move him over. Ever since Pods average has climbed closer and closer to .300 it seems like Tads is giving up at least an AB a game to move him over. If their were justice in MLB these would be deemed SACs just like a bunt would, as it has the same affect, but it is not, and counts as an out, just like when Willie failed to get Pods over. The difference being that Tads moved him over, and gave the middle of the order two chances to gets Pods in from 3rd.

For Iguchi the least important stat out of everyone you can give me is his batting average, and it is just for the reason that I just outlined.

I'm not worried either. He has an excuse for June (SoxTalk Wallpaper) but as far as May and July go, he is losing focus because Ozzie is toying with him playing Willie and Pablo plus he has been a little sore with his back and shoulder I believe. I'm not worried, as a matter of fact, I expect him to go on a tear soon.

QUOTE(3E8 @ Jul 11, 2005 -> 03:19 PM)
It's probably a combination of giving himself up so many times and the scouting report calling for breaking balls in the dirt.

Yeah, he's seeing more breaking balls. It was clear early that he wasn't picking them up very well. He's still not.

That being said, on friday I was concerned. He had a declining OBP, and I thought he was dragging down the offense. Then I saw Willie Harris play. -- The numbers don't tell you what Tads is doing out there. He is a great player.

Personally I thought Tad looked fine at the plate against Oakland...as good as anybody we threw up there.

Does anyone know where to look for a number of "Productive Outs"? I don't know where to find a listing for that, and a few days ago Hawk/DJ informed us that Tad was leading the league in that category.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 11, 2005 -> 04:52 PM)
Personally I thought Tad looked fine at the plate against Oakland...as good as anybody we threw up there.

Does anyone know where to look for a number of "Productive Outs"?  I don't know where to find a listing for that, and a few days ago Hawk/DJ informed us that Tad was leading the league in that category.

I think the only way to do that is to add up Sac flies, sac bunts, sac GO's, etc. :huh

It is amazing how TAD has changed his style of play. It is too be admired. In Japan he was a power and hit for a high AVG. He has been asked to totally change his stlye and has fit in to be an ideal 2nd batter in the line up. I dont think pitchers are adjusting to him.. Like others have said it is a combo of sac's and situation hitting.. (i.e. moving pods over)

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jul 11, 2005 -> 03:18 PM)
You are looking too much at the numbers and not enough at the games in front of you.  I would be willing to bet that there is a direct inverse correlation between Pods OBP% and Tadahito's BA.  The more often that Pods is on base, the more often that Tads gives up an AB to move him over.  Ever since Pods average has climbed closer and closer to .300 it seems like Tads is giving up at least an AB a game to move him over.  If their were justice in MLB these would be deemed SACs just like a bunt would, as it has the same affect, but it is not, and counts as an out, just like when Willie failed to get Pods over.  The difference being that Tads moved him over, and gave the middle of the order two chances to gets Pods in from 3rd. 

For Iguchi the least important stat out of everyone you can give me is his batting average, and it is just for the reason that I just outlined.

That's it exactly. Tad has such value to this team because he's willing and able to move the runner over when the situation calls for it. He's adept at hitting the ball to the right side with a runner on first or second, and even though he doesn't get credit for a sacrifice when he does it, he's moved Pods over into scoring position a whole lot. That sort of thing doesn't show up in the batting average.

I think Pods presence on base getting in the pitchers heads has helped Iguchi's average more than Iguchi grounding to 2nd to move Pods to third has hurt it.

Iguchi has been a strikeout machine who has been hitting worse and worse as the season has gone on. But I think he can and will turn it around because he is quite skilled with the bat.

QUOTE(TheHammer @ Jul 11, 2005 -> 05:39 PM)
I think Pods presence on base getting in the pitchers heads has helped Iguchi's average more than Iguchi grounding to 2nd to move Pods to third has hurt it. 

Iguchi has been a strikeout machine who has been hitting worse and worse as the season has gone on.  But I think he can and will turn it around because he is quite skilled with the bat.

So you're saying that his strikeout are the reason for his average to plummet???? He has a .339 OBP whic hmeans he is still getting his base hits. Just because he gets Pods over doesnt mean he has to do it with a ground out. He has struck out 61 times in 73 games while he has 78 hits as well. He still has a solid .280 average. He is also batting better at hom (310) than he has on the road (242). To me, he was stil worthy of an All-Star appearance up until the middle of June when he was slumping. He'll turn it around but this really isn't a big problem. He is going out and doing what he has to do. The fact that we are arguing over a .280 batter who is doing well shows how good this team is. :headbang

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 11, 2005 -> 06:27 PM)
Why does this make me less comfortable?

If gooch is batting when pods is on he makes many sacrifices. Taking a pitch so pods can run so many times gooch ends up with just one good chance to hit the ball. Hitting 250 avg in front of pods I think is unbelievable.. Gooch is also being fooled by changeups which he didn't see in JAPAN. Also when umpires give an extra inch or two on the outside corner and the ball continues to break outside another 2 or 3 inches it is impossible for him to hit. Example Maddux non strike curve balls umpire like to call strikes against us.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 11, 2005 -> 05:27 PM)
Why does this make me less comfortable?

Well, if tadahito doesn't play to well, which won't happen, crede will probably pick up the offense at one point. Same with uribe, each of the two will carry to offense at some time, even though crede already has.

QUOTE(forrestg @ Jul 11, 2005 -> 09:11 PM)
If gooch is batting when pods is on he makes  many sacrifices. Taking a pitch so pods can run so many times gooch ends up with just one good chance to hit the ball. Hitting 250 avg in front of pods I think is unbelievable..  Gooch is also being fooled by changeups which he didn't see in JAPAN.  Also when umpires give  an extra inch or two on the outside corner and the ball continues to break outside another 2 or 3 inches it is impossible for him  to hit.  Example Maddux non  strike curve balls umpire like to call strikes against us.

You bring up some really good points about Gooch and how he takes one for the team to help Pods either steal of move along otherwise. Even though his numbers have slipped some Gooch is still huge in the clutch when we need him and in the end thats all that really counts.

QUOTE(forrestg @ Jul 11, 2005 -> 10:11 PM)
If gooch is batting when pods is on he makes  many sacrifices. Taking a pitch so pods can run so many times gooch ends up with just one good chance to hit the ball. Hitting 250 avg in front of pods I think is unbelievable..  Gooch is also being fooled by changeups which he didn't see in JAPAN.  Also when umpires give  an extra inch or two on the outside corner and the ball continues to break outside another 2 or 3 inches it is impossible for him  to hit.  Example Maddux non  strike curve balls umpire like to call strikes against us.

Your first point is another excellent point. Being a GOOD two hole hitter means taking pitches that you would usually attack in order to give your leadoff hitter a chance to steal a base.