Garland looked nervous and shaky tonight

knightni

God I hope this isn't Playoff Jon.

Carlos' fly ball would have been a HR anywhere else (other than Minutemaid)

He looked good against DLee.

He did get out of the inning unscaved, that's a plus, though he didn't look particularly sharp.

QUOTE(knightni @ Jul 13, 2005 -> 02:44 AM)
He couldn't throw a strike tonight.

Thank goodness he got out of trouble.

Anyone else wondering if he might repeat something along that line if (when) the Sox make the playoffs?

Alou is 5 for 11 with 2 dings against him so he was careful. After the WP, walking Error-amis was the smart play and it set up the routine force out.

I wouldn't read too much into it.

QUOTE(knightni @ Jul 13, 2005 -> 07:44 AM)
He couldn't throw a strike tonight.

Thank goodness he got out of trouble.

Anyone else wondering if he might repeat something along that line if (when) the Sox make the playoffs?

Thank goodness he showed some emotion. :D I think Jon will be fine though. First All-Star game and all must make for a culture shock or something.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 13, 2005 -> 06:52 AM)
Look at who he faced, plus he wasn't pitching on his normal schedule. I'm not worried. As long as his sinker is working, he'll be tough to hit.

Plus the fact he came in for relief.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 13, 2005 -> 07:55 AM)
Plus the fact he came for relief.

Exactly, there's too many things that weren't normal about that situation Jon had to pitch in. However, it's all moot, because Garland DID get the job done. Something you can't say about almost all the NL pitchers and Rogers.

I don't think he will be facing as good as a lineup in the playoffs eiher. I'm sure he didnt get the normal amount of warming up that he gets. And finesse pitchers like him need that. I don't see thiss being a sign of anything unless its a sign of how he will do in future all star games coming out of the bullpen :P

I think it was just nerves. He started the inning facing his ex-teammate, two Cubs he saw a few weeks ago, and an ex-Cub who faced him last year. The only guy who wasn't familiar with him was Cabrera. I thought it was pretty ironic.

Sox pitcher Jon Garland entered the game in the sixth inning, and faced an an interesting run of batters.

Garland got ex-Sox teammate Carlos Lee of the Milwaukee Brewers to fly out and the Cubs' Derrek Lee to pop out. He walked ex-Cub Alou and current Cub Aramis Ramirez. Miguel Cabrera of the Florida Marlins grounded out to end the inning.

Edited by robinventura23

i think it was really encouraging. last year when jon got in trouble he just had mental break downs. but now you can see him maturing. sure he was nervous but he calmed down and got the job done. i know it was just the all star game and the postseason is a whole other monster but it good to see jon embrace the pressure.