Burnett Trade Fading

palesox38

Do the Sox have new life in the Burnett trade?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Do the Sox have new life in the Burnett trade?

• They better get their tickets to O'Hare!
    • Yes, but they should be cautious(think of a way to trade Lowell)
    • They might have a small chance
    • No way

The Orioles beat reporter, Gary Washburn, has said that the chances of the O's aquiring Burnett are lessening by the day. The Pirates have stated that they never had interest in Lowell and unless the O's decide they want to take on his contract, the O's will look toward Jason Schmidt or Jeff Weaver. On Pro Sports Daily, it says that if the trade falls through, the Marlins will turn their attention back to the White Sox.

I personally think if the Marlins come back to us, we should do it. I think maybe we could get rid of Lowell one way or another, but its too good to pass up. Contreras for Burnett. I'd do it. Plus I heard that the Marlins are interested in Contreras as their closer.

Edited by palesox38

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

This might sound dumb but this kind of is like how the Iguchi negotiations went. Looks like we're going to get him, kenny has a strict stance then it looks like it's dead, all the sudden the player(team in this case) get desperate and poof a deal happens, wouldn't surprise me one bit if Kenny manages to get AJ for less then expected, who knows.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 21, 2005 -> 03:28 AM)
This might sound dumb but this kind of is like how the Iguchi negotiations went.  Looks like we're going to get him, kenny has a strict stance then it looks like it's dead, all the sudden the player(team in this case) get desperate and poof a deal happens, wouldn't surprise me one bit if Kenny manages to get AJ for less then expected, who knows.

If I'm in Kenny's place, I have two things in mind, what I'd like to trade for Burnett and what the max is that will trade for Burnett. If things work out to where we can get Burnett somewhere between those two points, he'll pull the trigger.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jul 21, 2005 -> 02:38 AM)
If I'm in Kenny's place, I have two things in mind, what I'd like to trade for Burnett and what the max is that will trade for Burnett.  If things work out to where we can get Burnett somewhere between those two points, he'll pull the trigger.

Completely agreed.

QUOTE(Al Lopez's Ghost @ Jul 21, 2005 -> 12:37 PM)
I'd love to add Burnett, but not if he's joined at the hip with Lowell.

I think the Marlins are starting to realize that teams are smart and want nothing to do with the whole "Lowell must be added to the deal non-sense". In fact that scared away both the Orioles and the Pirates for now. And if the Orioles go after Schmidt that leaves: our Sox , Red Sox and the BlueJays the prime canidates to aquire him.

The latest i heard the Marlins would want Contreras and prospects for Burnett straight up. (this could be a great deal for KW).

Hold on to your seats people- 10 days before the deadline- ALLLOOTTTTT of activity will start happening very soon.

so how about a mid-summer christmas present just like last summer KW!!! :smilesanta

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 21, 2005 -> 06:48 AM)
How about the White Sox use Contreras as a closer? I don't know how long it would take him to warm up and such, but if he's focused and attacking hitters he would be hard to touch in one inning stints.

a few months before the white sox traded loaiza for contreras they actually called the yankees asking about contreras with the intention of him becoming a closer. iirc his 1st inning stats last year were actually quite good, but i could be wrong on that. the sox felt he had the stuff, and i agree. maybe hes better suited as a 1 inning pitcher. generally teams are more agressive in the later innings and might swing and miss more at his splitter. if the sox do get another starter (assuming contreras isnt dealt) i wouldnt mind seein him in middle relief, but right now we have enough guys who can close, so middle relief sure, closer no.

Contreras has the stuff but I don't think he has the mindset. He's not one to attack hitters consistently, and a closer has to do that. Combination of great stuff and confident/aggressive mentality = good closer. Jose has 1/2 of that equation.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jul 21, 2005 -> 08:40 AM)
Contreras has the stuff but I don't think he has the mindset.  He's not one to attack hitters consistently, and a closer has to do that.  Combination of great stuff and confident/aggressive mentality = good closer.  Jose has 1/2 of that equation.

While I agree with you, it might be a case of Jose not being able to maintain the focus over an extended period of time ... like say, seven innings. If he can focus for one or two innings, he might be awesome.

While I agree with you, it might be a case of Jose not being able to maintain the focus over an extended period of time ... like say, seven innings.  If he can focus for one or two innings, he might be awesome.

Yes, totally agree. Call it a gut feeling, I see how he is with guys on base, he gets out of his rhythm fairly easily. Granted if he comes in at the top of the 9th, there's no one on. Based on history, I'm not convinced he's at his best in high pressure situations, he does not appear to have the bulldog mentality. Hermanson has that but he's got nowhere near the raw talent of Contreras.

I guess that's why soft tossers like Doug Jones and Rod Beck were good closers in their day ... a lot of it is between the ears.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jul 21, 2005 -> 08:54 AM)
Yes, totally agree.  Call it a gut feeling, I see how he is with guys on base, he gets out of his rhythm fairly easily.  Granted if he comes in at the top of the 9th, there's no one on.  Based on history, I'm not convinced he's at his best in high pressure situations, he does not appear to have the bulldog mentality.  Hermanson has that but he's got nowhere near the raw talent of Contreras.

I guess that's why soft tossers like Doug Jones and Rod Beck were good closers in their day ... a lot of it is between the ears.

Can't argue that point. I've felt that it was a simple matter of he's not able to pitch as effectively from the stretch.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jul 21, 2005 -> 07:59 AM)
Loooooooots of speculating here.  First of all, 50-50 chance we even get Burnett. Secondly, let's be careful in what we expect from him if we do land him.    He'd certainly help, but he's just the best of what's available right now.  Let's keep it in perspective.

if we get burnett contreras is gone almost for sure. i believe thats who florida wants most in that deal, which would be nice becuase that would free up some money needed to pay burnett long term, granted, we will prolly have to pay some of contreras's contract, but not all of it, which will help

QUOTE(JimH @ Jul 21, 2005 -> 07:54 AM)
Yes, totally agree.  Call it a gut feeling, I see how he is with guys on base, he gets out of his rhythm fairly easily.  Granted if he comes in at the top of the 9th, there's no one on.  Based on history, I'm not convinced he's at his best in high pressure situations, he does not appear to have the bulldog mentality.  Hermanson has that but he's got nowhere near the raw talent of Contreras.

We are not going to use Mr. 6 million on the whitesox dime pitcher for a 1 inning relief role. He may go to long relief, but he wont be a stopper.

They figure that they can use Marte, Politte and the Beast Jenks. Jenks has the stuff, we will find out if he has what you need between the ears. I have been impressed so far in what I have seen as far as maturity from Bobby. Plus he is throwing a hell of a hot harder than I remember seeing him throw down in Tuscon.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jul 21, 2005 -> 08:13 AM)
We are not going to use Mr. 6 million on the whitesox dime pitcher for a 1 inning relief role.  He may go to long relief, but he wont be a stopper.

They figure that they can use Marte, Politte and the Beast Jenks. Jenks has the stuff, we will find out if he has what you need between the ears.  I have been impressed so far in what I have seen as far as maturity from Bobby.  Plus he is throwing a hell of a hot harder than I remember  seeing him throw down in Tuscon.

i dont like the arguement that a players role should be determined by how much money they are paying him. it doesnt matter fi he makes 6 mil., he will make 6 mil if he starts, closes, hits, hands out gatorade in the dugout. put him where he gives you the best chance to win (im not necessarily sayin thats the bullpen btw), and dont let the players money dictate his role on teh team, let his capabilities.

QUOTE(Cubs Suck23 @ Jul 21, 2005 -> 02:14 PM)
Their is probably be going to be tons of fights&riots in the streets even if we beat  the Padres in the world series.

I dont understand why fans have to destroy their city after their team wins a championship..

I still just don't see why they would want Jose.....They don't want McCarthy......just seems strange to me that they would replace AJ with Jose...maybe they are thinking the mass cuban population will help Jose....they are very close to the same pitcher and Jose is a lot older....... i just don't know

QUOTE(daa84 @ Jul 21, 2005 -> 08:49 AM)
i dont like the arguement that a players role should be determined by how much money they are paying him. it doesnt matter fi he makes 6 mil., he will make 6 mil if he starts, closes, hits, hands out gatorade in the dugout. put him where he gives you the best chance to win (im not necessarily sayin thats the bullpen btw), and dont let the players money dictate his role on teh team, let his capabilities.

I agree, but what we as fans forget is this is a business. And as a business they still want to maximize their investment. Hence why they want to get 5-6 innings from Conteras which should come out to about 120-130 pitches