Ponson for Nevin

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Isn't Ponson owed like $10 million next year, or something around there? Great deal for the O's. I can see them picking up Weaver now and having Weaver and Nevin would be very nice additions. Let's all hope they make the WC and BOS/NYY/OAK/MIN don't...

07.22.05Pitcher Jeff Weaver figures to be heavily scouted during his start tonight against the New York Mets. According to baseball sources, the Baltimore Orioles have contacted the Dodgers about trading for Weaver, who is making $9.25 million and will become a free agent after the season (LA Times). Would trading Weaver signal that DePo is waving the white flag? Tough decision, indeed. Let's just hope that any deal with the O's doesn't include Larry Bigbie or Jay Gibbons - two highly overrated outfielders.

Interesting.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 23, 2005 -> 12:54 PM)
Getting rid of Ponson helps your pitching not hurt it.

Not when they have nobody else to pitch. Sure it's good if they make another move soon, but it looks bad as it is now.

who says their done trading?

That's what I said in the other thread. Still, right now their pitching is even weaker even though they only got rid of Ponson.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jul 23, 2005 -> 01:03 PM)
Not when they have nobody else to pitch.  Sure it's good if they make another move soon, but it looks bad as it is now.

That's what I said in the other thread.  Still, right now their pitching is even weaker even though they only got rid of Ponson.

the orioles aren't dumb, i'm sure they have a plan.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Jul 23, 2005 -> 12:06 PM)
Looks like the chips are starting to fall. Wonder if KW is going to jump on board.

Tony, I really believe we just won the Burnett sweepstakes. Kenny's probably just going to wait it out until Florida comes to his terms.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jul 23, 2005 -> 12:03 PM)
Not when they have nobody else to pitch.  Sure it's good if they make another move soon, but it looks bad as it is now.

At this point they're much better off giving anyone a shot, give a youngin a shot to win the job. Ponson is absolutely horrendous, just cause he's older doesn't mean he's any better then a spect. The Orioles shedded a horrible contract and a horrible pitcher, this was a no brainer for them.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 23, 2005 -> 06:07 PM)
Tony, I really believe we just won the Burnett sweepstakes.  Kenny's probably just going to wait it out until Florida comes to his terms.

I'm 99% sure that Kenny won't move Marte. That's way too much shuffling, trading Marte + B-Mac for Burnett. Contreras + Sweeney for Burnett, OTOH... :thinking

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jul 23, 2005 -> 12:09 PM)
I'm 99% sure that Kenny won't move Marte.  That's way too much shuffling, trading Marte + B-Mac for Burnett.  Contreras + Sweeney for Burnett, OTOH... :thinking

I'll say I'm 99 percent sure he won't move Damaso without having another trade lined up for a left handed reliever.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 23, 2005 -> 12:12 PM)
I'll say I'm 99 percent sure he won't move Damaso without having another trade lined up for a left handed reliever.

:headbang

I agree. I really don't want to get rid of Contreras because statistically, you could make a case for him being better than Burnett this year. If we're trading for Burnett, have him pitch in the rotation while leaving Contreras in it or swing him to Philly for Wagner.

Phil Nevin - 1B - SD

According to ESPN's Buster Olney, Phil Nevin hasn't yet waived his no-trade clause to go the Orioles in return for Sidney Ponson.

Apparently, this isn't as done as ESPNews made it sound originally. Nevin is in the starting lineup for the Padres today. Jul. 23 - 2:12 pm et

Source: ESPN.com

per rotoworld

Has Nevin agreed to go to Baltimore? It is one of the teams on his no trade list. As far as Ponson goes, thank God the White Sox low balled him when he was a free agent. He has a lot of ability, but he make Jose Contreras look like the most consistent pitcher who ever lived. Maybe going to SD will do something for him. He was great in 2003 with Baltimore, and was pretty decent the second half of last season IIRC.