The AJ Burnett 24 Hour Window Thread

AddisonStSox

• Replies 846
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Lets not count our chickens befor they hatch. I wouldn't exactly call it a done deal yet...

Many deadline trades have seemed imminent, only to have cash considerations nix all the speculation. Three days ago, Burnett to Baltimore seemed like a done deal when cash considerations (over the very same player) blew the trade up.

Its possible that Florida only wants to give up three million over two years and the sox want 12. So lets wait and see

QUOTE(robinventura23 @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 02:55 PM)
So who do we believe the Score or ESPN1000?

I will believe the one that says "The White Sox have acquired AJ Burnett and Mike Lowell from the Marlins for AAA Prospect Brandon McCarthy and reliever Damaso Marte. The Marlins have agreed to pay ______ of Lowell's deal."

QUOTE(robinventura23 @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 12:36 PM)
Anyone else think that KW may spin-off Lowell in another deal?  I really don't see the need for him.  Maybe the Marlins are saying the Burnett deal is contingent on the Sox taking him.  Just a thought.

Two Words, One Player:

Alfonso Soriano

QUOTE(GreatScott82 @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 02:51 PM)
Right now it just seems like the only thing that needs to be finalized is the money involved for Lowell's contract. It sounds like this deal is done to me- just being finalized....

I hope they get it done, but that's what killed the deal with Baltimore.

For me its hard to believe the score and espn radio because i would think that reports would be coming out of flordia. Maybe theyhave has anyone heard anything from the other side of the trade talks. This whole situation seems to sketchy to me and i dont thing i beleive this at all. What do you guys think are these sources we can trust.

QUOTE(Big Hurtin @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 12:58 PM)
I hope they get it done, but that's what killed the deal with Baltimore.

Right now, the Nevin deal may be killing the Burnett deal for the Orioles. Waiting for Nevin's approval.

If we do aqcuire Mike Lowell. Does this mean KW's patience have ran out for Joe Crede? He is starting to heat up offensively and I don't think there is a better defensive 3B. Hmm.. Lowell just seems like a downgrade to me. what do you guys think?

QUOTE(GreatScott82 @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 07:01 PM)
If we do aqcuire Mike Lowell. Does this mean KW's patience have ran out for Joe Crede? He is starting to heat up offensively and I don't think there is a better defensive 3B. Hmm.. Lowell just seems like a downgrade to me. what do you guys think?

i think it could have as much to do with paulie's future as it does crede's.

QUOTE(GreatScott82 @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 02:01 PM)

I think you are reading into it wrong. Lowell is insurance, not an upgrade. Crede's back problem is a concern, adding Lowell will give Ozzie flexibility at 2 positions (1B and 3B), give Crede and Konerko valuable days off down the stretch, and provide insurance if either player should go down.

The hot stick stays in the lineup.

QUOTE(GreatScott82 @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 03:01 PM)

It's not that they're trying to trade FOR Lowell, rather it's that Florida won't give up Burnett unless someone agrees to take Lowell.

QUOTE(GreatScott82 @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 01:01 PM)

Nope that just means that Kong is playing his last games in our uni this year.

QUOTE(thedoctor @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 01:03 PM)
i think it could have as much to do with paulie's future as it does crede's.

I was thinking that too. If we DO get Mike Lowell and he isnt traed somewhere else, then I suspect that either Crede or Lowell will be at first base next year..

QUOTE(Athomeboy_2000 @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 02:07 PM)
I was thinking that too. If we DO get Mike Lowell and he isnt traed somewhere else, then I suspect that either Crede or Lowell will be at first base next year..

Crede's not leaving 3B.

Alright I hesitate to speculate like this... but consider the following. If this trade goes through as reported the sox would essentially have:

6 Quality Starting Pitchers (assuming count is not part of the deal)

4 Quality outfielders

2 Quality Third basemen

Plus, if Frank gets healthy, the starting situation is even more tenuous.

To me, thats an awlful lot of talent to have on the bench. I wonder if a second contingent deal isn't already being considered. It strikes me that an ideal trading partner to the sox would be a team who has a crappy, aging 3B and (lets call him David Bell) and only four bonafide SPs (hypothetically padilla, myers, lidle, lieber).

said team might be able to offer us some help... oh maybe at RP....

QUOTE(GreatScott82 @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 03:09 PM)
So Lowell is insurance this year and our new 1B for 2006?

If Lowell is our 1B in 2006, then this franchise is in trouble, I'm for keeping Paulie since there is no better option of us, via trade or free agent.

QUOTE(AWhiteSoxinNJ @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 02:10 PM)
If Lowell is our 1B in 2006, then this franchise is in trouble, I'm for keeping Paulie since there is no better option of us, via trade or free agent.

not for the contract he's gonna want

QUOTE(AWhiteSoxinNJ @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 01:10 PM)

Is it in the same trouble as when we got rid of Maggs and Carlos Lee.