Red Sox will explore Ramirez trade

Whitesoxfan56

They aren't going to trade him now unless they get equal talent back. In the offseason when the Red Sox would have free agents to go after, you would be able to get Ramirez for a song if you were willing to pick up his contract. 2 years ago they placed him on irrevocable waivers. If anybody claimed him, he was their's. Even the Yankees said no. Depending upon how much of the Yankee payroll comes off the books this offseason, I wouldn't be shocked if they did it again.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah Manny was on irrevocable waivers and no one picked him up because his contract is so bad.

Its so bad that even the Rangers would not take it on when giving up A-Rods contract.

No one will trade for Manny now because the Red Sox would want talent, in the off-season Im sure its a; "You pay him, we will trade him".

SB

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Jul 28, 2005 -> 02:06 PM)
The only team who would take him is the Yankees... Somehow I don't see that happening..

It would be great if they did - but can you imagine Boston whining for another 86 years about "The Curse of Manny Ramirez"?????

I could see the Dodgers doing something silly and making a deal for him. They're one of the few markets that could and they're still operating on the delusion that they can get back into this thing with some hitting. Cubs are more likely, however.

Believe it or not, the Angels are another team to watch out for. They're looking for a DH, preferrably a leftie, but Manny would fit the bill and Arnie's got deep pockets and a jones for a ring.

Whoever takes him on will have to bite the bullet in the belief that he can take them to the promise land. The Red Sox know they would have to pay a hefty portion of his contract and they would do it, too. They're freeing up cash next year with Damon leaving via FA.

Konerko/Rowand/Marte and 50% of his salary. Take it or leave it, boy wonder. ;)

QUOTE(SoxFan562004 @ Jul 28, 2005 -> 06:28 PM)
Stark was on ESPN about this and basically repeated what some here have said, that his contract is too crazy and his impact on the Red Sox too big to trade during the season.  Maybe in the offseason to the Mets

That's the only thing that could make sense IMO. The Yanks and Mets are about the only teams that can afford that stupid contract, and the Yanks won't have the opportunity to get him from their division rival. The Mets is the only other place he could end up at this point of time. Though as Stark said, it would not happen now.

If KW is so worried about chemistry then we know he won't be coming here and thats just conisdering his clubhouse presence. As far as the huge contract that we will NOT be taking who are gonna give up? Garland? Ha, u know they would be asking for him. Not only that but this guy is one lazy f***er.

I would only want him in the DH spot but 20 million for a DH with a bad attitude no thanks, that would also end Big Hurts tenure as a Sox. NO THANKS.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 28, 2005 -> 05:07 PM)
I must say the Cubs should seriously look into this, they have a s***load of talent in their Minor leagues and some good expendable ML talent. Manny would absolutely rake at Wrigley in LF for the Cubs.

The trib is raking in cash putting a 500 team on the field why would they waste money to go get manny when either way there going to sell out everygame. If cubs fans were smart they would stop going to games when the trib puts a crappy product on the field to show them that there not gunna make money if they dont put money into the team.

QUOTE(Nokona @ Jul 28, 2005 -> 11:47 PM)
They want BMac? Take Him. They want Sweeney? Take Him. They want Anderson? Take Him. They want Tracey? Take Him. They want Young? Take Him.

White Sox 05 WS Champs.

They want Gio? Take him. They want Liotta? Take him? They want Beurhle? Take Him? They want Jon? Take him.

Wait......no!

You know it usually doesn't take as much as people tend to think to acquire a disgruntled player that wants out. I know it isn't EXACTLY the same scenario, but an example is the Cardinals trade iwth the Phillies to get Rolen. All the Cardinals gave up was Mike TImlin, Placido Polanco, and Bud Smith.

What is that the equivalent with us? Brandon McCarthy, Damaso Marte/Cliff Politte, and ?Uribe?Crede?Everett? Hell I would do that deal.

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Jul 28, 2005 -> 10:33 PM)
You know it usually doesn't take as much as people tend to think to acquire a disgruntled player that wants out. I know it isn't EXACTLY the same scenario, but an example is the Cardinals trade iwth the Phillies to get Rolen. All the Cardinals gave up was Mike TImlin, Placido Polanco, and Bud Smith.

What is that the equivalent with us? Brandon McCarthy, Damaso Marte/Cliff Politte, and ?Uribe?Crede?Everett? Hell I would do that deal.

wow bud smith...has there ever been a worse pitcher to throw a no-no

Once they toss him on waivers, you can get him pretty much free, as long as you're willing to take on that albatross contract...

19M in 06, 18M in 07 and 20M in 08- deal includes 2009 and 2010 Team Options worth 20M.

If you remember correctly, a few years ago he was on waivers and no one picked him up.

i dont think anyone wants him, he makes a lot of money and he is a bit of a nut case. Man the bosox losing him would rough. breaking up that ortiz / Ramierz combo would be bad news.

Hes spoiled too, he plays for a team that has a huge fan base and sells out every game, let him go play for the royals or devil rays and see how much fun he has.

I don't think Slownerko and Dye would be enough..

To be honest.. I don't think Boston would let him go for anything at this point. They want at the very least another WS appearance.. trading Manny away hurts the chance of getting there.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jul 29, 2005 -> 11:24 AM)
I don't think Slownerko and Dye would be enough..

To be honest.. I don't think Boston would let him go for anything at this point. They want at the very least another WS appearance..  trading Manny away hurts the chance of getting there.

I dont know what they would want. I was speculating, but its probably going to have to be 2 starters at least. Im sure he is worth it, being that he is the WS MVP and all, but....I dont see them unloading him. They are in a pennant race, and unloading probably your best player, doesnt make much sense to me.