BUMPED THREAD: Geoff Blum to the White Sox?

fathom

QUOTE(danman31 @ Jul 31, 2005 -> 07:25 AM)
I'm still not convinced. Besides, this isn't worth getting excited over, which I'm not. You know the deal's not worth making when you're more concerned about who we gave up than who we got.

Who would you rather have: G. Blum or W. Harris? The answer is obvious to me.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(danman31 @ Jul 31, 2005 -> 01:25 AM)
I'm still not convinced. Besides, this isn't worth getting excited over, which I'm not. You know the deal's not worth making when you're more concerned about who we gave up than who we got.

Now were was the great Bruuuuuuce Levine on this goldmine move.

Maybe Kenny has a total smokescreen going and he is going to layer some crap on the outside and make some major move.

furlogo_small.gif

Or this is one of a few non moves that is all we make.

Not a good first splash.

Every game, when I complain about Ozzie and/or KW, I'm told to have faith in the people who've gotten us this far this year. Why is everyone freaking out now? If KW does trade one of our higher prospects for Blum, then we should be upset. However, for the time being, I'm going to sleep at night with the mindset that we just upgraded our back-up 2b and have a legit back-up 3b now.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 31, 2005 -> 01:26 AM)
Who would you rather have:  G. Blum or W. Harris?  The answer is obvious to me.

Thats not how to judge this trade. I think some people might give two thoughts of a steaming pile of dog s*** over willie harris. Everyone agrees that Harris is a goner.

But is this the best utility guy move KW could pull off?

Edited by southsideirish71

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jul 31, 2005 -> 01:29 AM)
Thats not how to judge this trade.  I think some people might give two thoughts of a steaming pile of dog s*** over willie harris.  Everyone agrees that Harris is a goner.

But is this the best move KW could pull off to get a utility guy?

Maybe he wants to keep as many chips as he possibly can to land Huff?? I don't know, maybe though.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jul 31, 2005 -> 07:29 AM)
Thats not how to judge this trade.  I think some people might give two thoughts of a steaming pile of dog s*** over willie harris.  Everyone agrees that Harris is a goner.

But is this the best move KW could pull off to get a utility guy?

There aren't a whole lot of utility players that can actually play 3b. I'm sorry, but guys like Freel were going to cost too much. Most utility players are like Ozuna, where they're much more suited to play 2b or SS, rather than 3b.

SSI, you know I'm not afraid to criticize Sox mgmt for a move I feel is poor. So far, I've heard nothing to make me feel like KW really screwed up.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 31, 2005 -> 07:28 AM)
Every game, when I complain about Ozzie and/or KW, I'm told to have faith in the people who've gotten us this far this year.  Why is everyone freaking out now?  If KW does trade one of our higher prospects for Blum, then we should be upset.  However, for the time being, I'm going to sleep at night with the mindset that we just upgraded our back-up 2b and have a legit back-up 3b now.

Who the heck is freaking out? You're the one who's 'freaking out' on dan. He just doesn't believe that this deal is going to go through. I certainly won't call that 'freaking out'...

If this deal goes through, great, if not, whatever. It's not a big deal, so long as Williams doesn't make it one (by giving up pretty much anyone of value in the minors).

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jul 31, 2005 -> 07:32 AM)
Who the heck is freaking out?  You're the one who's 'freaking out' on dan.  He just doesn't believe that this deal is going to go through.  I certainly won't call that 'freaking out'...

I wouldn't say the overall feeling on this board is happy with the supposed transaction.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jul 31, 2005 -> 05:29 PM)

But is this the best utility guy move KW could pull off?

Who would you have preferred? Derek Jeter? ;)

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 31, 2005 -> 01:37 AM)
Who would you have preferred? Derek Jeter?  ;)

We go from trying to get Tony G and losing out on that, to possibly getting Macowiak, and now we have Blum.

Whatever, as long as Ozuna is not playing 3rd anymore.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jul 31, 2005 -> 01:39 AM)
We go from trying to get Tony G and losing out on that, to possibly getting Macowiak, and now we have Blum. 

We don't have Blum yet, for the record.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jul 31, 2005 -> 07:39 AM)

We got outbid for Tony G. I'm not exactly a big fan of Graffy's defense over at 3rd base anyways. And as for Mackowiak, as much as I like him, he's been awful recently. Blum's been hitting well since the ASB.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 31, 2005 -> 07:40 AM)
We don't have Blum yet, for the record.

Rowand....will you explain to me how people are still geting upset with me, even when I'm trying to be optimistic? I feel like you now in the gamethreads.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 31, 2005 -> 01:42 AM)
Rowand....will you explain to me how people are still geting upset with me, even when I'm trying to be optimistic?  I feel like you now in the gamethreads.

LOL, different side of the fence now, fathom?? I think people have their expectations higher. I don't mind Blum as long as the prospect isn't anything major. I think some people are getting the feeling for whatever reason that this deal would mean no Huff which is entirely untrue.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jul 31, 2005 -> 05:39 PM)

C'mon, Blum's got 13 doubles and 1 TRIPLE!!!!!! That's a sure fire winner.

His numbers will rise from playing at the Cell from PETCO though.

Blum has smooth hands and moves well enough for a big guy that he can still be an asset defensively, though he looks more comfortable at third than second, shortstop or in the outfield. While Blum isn't fast, he is a solid baserunner.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 31, 2005 -> 07:44 AM)
LOL, different side of the fence now, fathom??  I think people have their expectations higher.  I don't mind Blum as long as the prospect isn't anything major.  I think some people are getting the feeling for whatever reason that this deal would mean no Huff which is entirely untrue.

Were people expecting us to go out and get a starter to back-up Iguchi and Crede? That wouldn't make sense at all. And you're right, the Huff stuff has nothing to do with this. And in case people haven't been noticing, KW and Ozzie have gone out of there way to make it known a big trade likely won't happen. They're obviously trying to lay the groundwork for "damage control".

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 31, 2005 -> 01:45 AM)
C'mon, Blum's got 13 doubles and 1 TRIPLE!!!!!! That's a sure fire winner.

His numbers will rise from playing at the Cell from PETCO though.

Good info, to be honest I dont recall watching blum play so I didn't know his defensive capabilities. If he's a good defender then that makes plenty of sense, then ozuna can play when Gooch needs a day off and Willie can go. Makes a lot of sense actually.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 31, 2005 -> 01:44 AM)
LOL, different side of the fence now, fathom??  I think people have their expectations higher.  I don't mind Blum as long as the prospect isn't anything major.  I think some people are getting the feeling for whatever reason that this deal would mean no Huff which is entirely untrue.

I dont know if anyone is getting upset with fathom on this. I think its all the build up over the last 2 weeks of the damn deadline. ESPN has a freakin countdown clock. We are very close this year to a team that can go all the way.

But I would give up on Huff for a second if the tampa-mets-bosox deal went through. Facing Huff and Cameron is a hell of a lot easier than facing Ramirez.

If the bosox give up Ramirez. That weakens them.

I dont care if we dont make a move as long as our compeitition(BoSox,Yanks, A's, Angels) dont significantly upgrade that makes the matchups even worse.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jul 31, 2005 -> 01:47 AM)
I dont know if anyone is getting upset with fathom on this.  I think its all the build up over the last 2 weeks of the damn deadline.  ESPN has a freakin countdown clock.  We are very close this year to a team that can go all the way. 

But I would give up on Huff for a second if the tampa-mets-bosox deal went through.  Facing Huff and Cameron is a hell of a lot easier than facing Ramirez. 

If the bosox give up Ramirez.  That weakens them. 

I dont care if we dont make a move as long as our compeitition(BoSox,Yanks, A's, Angels) dont significantly upgrade that makes the matchups even worse.

Since Manny's most likely staying put, Huff's probably the best player possibly out there.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jul 31, 2005 -> 07:47 AM)
I dont know if anyone is getting upset with fathom on this.  I think its all the build up over the last 2 weeks of the damn deadline.  ESPN has a freakin countdown clock.  We are very close this year to a team that can go all the way. 

But I would give up on Huff for a second if the tampa-mets-bosox deal went through.  Facing Huff and Cameron is a hell of a lot easier than facing Ramirez. 

If the bosox give up Ramirez.  That weakens them. 

Yeah, I was shocked how people on here were upset that the Red Sox might get Huff. Especially after Manny kicked our ass last weekend, I'd be thrilled to see him gone.