Reason we are flat

BigSqwert

Anyone think we've been flat this last week because there was no big pickup at the trade deadline? Usually a team doing this well gets a nice acquisition at the deadline as a shot in the arm. We picked up Geoff Blum. I remember during the FOX game last Saturday before the deadline, Willie and Buehrle were in the dugout talking and Willie said something like "So you think we are going to pick up someone? I'm sure we are." It just seemed like the team was ready for a big name to come in and help.

I'm not blaming Kenny because I know he tried but I think the team would have reacted differently had we picked up a Burnett or Huff.

Just a thought.

We've been horrible at home lately for some reason. Maybe the big crowds are getting to the guys, I dont know. But KW tried getting Griffey before the deadline but the Landner killed the trade. My argument is why we send down Gload if he supplies power from the left side of the plate and plays excellent defense at first. Blum plays all four infield positions but he is garbage with the bat. I know Gload was 3-30 but I dont think that trend would have kept on going. Id take his bat and glove over Blum. ESPECIALLY now since Everett is sore. BUT the good news is that Levine said he talked to Everett before the game and he said he felt much better but he'll probably take 3-4 more days off to rest the groin. I think we should give him as much time as he needs to fully heal that groin muscle. There is no need for us to push it with any of our players at this point of the season. Thats why it'd would be good to have Gload at first and Konerko at DH so we could get Konerko some days off at 1st. Finally, try this on for size, 9 of our last 10 runs have been scored via the homerun. Not a good sign especially since we are up against the Yankees in a few days and I dont think we want to see ourselves in a slugfest with NY either.

Edited by Ozzie Montana

Youve seen Blum play 3 games and you already come to the conclusion that Blum cant hit. Let him play a few more games before you pass judgement. 10 ab is hardly a sample. Believe me im the biggest Gload supporter out there. There just isnt any room for him right now.

Edited by HoosierSox

QUOTE(HoosierSox @ Aug 6, 2005 -> 11:05 AM)
Youve seen Blum play 3 games and you already come to the conclusion that Blum cant hit. Let him play a few more games before you pass judgement. 10 ab is hardly a sample. Believe me im the biggest Gload supporter out there. There just isnt any room for him right now.
Stupid clutch Timo. We can never get rid of him. Gah!

QUOTE(HoosierSox @ Aug 6, 2005 -> 11:05 AM)

Yeah, cuz his career 82 OPS+ really makes me think he's an offensive force. -- The only nice thing I can say about Blum is that he's not Willie Harris. He sucks, but at least he's not Willie Harris.

We don't have any room for Gload? Couldn't we have used an extra bat yesterday? Couldn't we have used a guy who can actually get an extra-base hit? Whose natural position is 1B?

Oh sure there's a roster crunch, but surely there's someone who's only contribution is eating the post-game spread in the Clubhouse. -- Oh wait there is. -- Jon Adkins. He of the can't get guys out at AAA Adkins. Thank God we called him up so he could work 1 inning in garbage time.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Aug 6, 2005 -> 10:27 AM)
Yeah, cuz his career 82 OPS+ really makes me think he's an offensive force. -- The only nice thing I can say about Blum is that he's not Willie Harris. He sucks, but at least he's not Willie Harris.

We don't have any room for Gload? Couldn't we have used an extra bat yesterday? Couldn't we have used a guy who can actually get an extra-base hit? Whose natural position is 1B?

Oh sure there's a roster crunch, but surely there's someone who's only contribution is eating the post-game spread in the Clubhouse. -- Oh wait there is. -- Jon Adkins. He of the can't get guys out at AAA Adkins. Thank God we called him up so he could work 1 inning in garbage time.

With the way Ozzie manages the pen another arm was needed though as I've said before I think Adkins is the wrong guy. Blum's purpose is to back up Crede, with his back he's going to need a few days off every now and then and Pablo was killing us defensively at 3rd base. I really do wish Ross was on the roster though, he's got a raw deal this year imo.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Aug 6, 2005 -> 11:32 AM)
With the way Ozzie manages the pen another arm was needed though as I've said before I think Adkins is the wrong guy.  Blum's purpose is to back up Crede, with his back he's going to need a few days off every now and then and Pablo was killing us defensively at 3rd base.  I really do wish Ross was on the roster though, he's got a raw deal this year imo.

At this point, I'm not even concerned about who it is. I'm not even complaining about Timo.

This team needs some useful bats on the bench. They have none. OK Widger is having a nice back up catcher season, but that's it.

Blum is your best bench player(which is really sad by the way), and he should be the one we're upset about being stuck in AAA.

Brian Anderson, Ross Gload, some guy who clears waivers. we need help. You can't have Uribe/Crede/Pods hitting back-to-back-to-back in the playoffs without a decent option on the bench.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Aug 6, 2005 -> 10:44 AM)
At this point, I'm not even concerned about who it is. I'm not even complaining about Timo.

This team needs some useful bats on the bench. They have none. OK Widger is having a nice back up catcher season, but that's it.

Blum is your best bench player(which is really sad by the way), and he should be the one we're upset about being stuck in AAA.

Brian Anderson, Ross Gload, some guy who clears waivers. we need help. You can't have Uribe/Crede/Pods hitting back-to-back-to-back in the playoffs without a decent option on the bench.

Well chicagosports.com reported that if Everett goes on the DL, Joe "no tool" Borchard will get promoted to the show.

Our bench right now is extremely weak in terms of hitting. You need to have someone on the bench that you think actually has a prayer of getting an extra base hit. When Thomas got injured, it made Everett into an everyday player. The problem is that we did nothing to replace Everett's power on the bench. I've said recently that we should call up Brian Anderson for Adkins. With Everett's injury likely one that will linger for a few weeks, we can use a righty bat against lefties or off of the bench. I don't get real excited with the thought of Ozuna playing DH.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Aug 6, 2005 -> 04:46 PM)
Well chicagosports.com reported that if Everett goes on the DL, Joe "no tool" Borchard will get promoted to the show.

Chicagosports.com also had a quote from Ozzie saying how we need to get more people on base. It's not like we haven't been hitting a lot of homers recently. It's just that too many of them have been with no one on base.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 6, 2005 -> 10:49 AM)
Chicagosports.com also had a quote from Ozzie saying how we need to get more people on base.  It's not like we haven't been hitting a lot of homers recently.  It's just that too many of them have been with no one on base.

The team is near the bottom on the AL in OBP and near the bottom in singles. I see this as more of a chronic problem. Our guys need to go deeper in the count and take smart cuts. If they get 2 strikes, shorten the swing up a bit and put it in play. Too many strikeouts with men on.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Aug 6, 2005 -> 04:53 PM)
The team is near the bottom on the AL in OBP and near the bottom in singles.  I see this as more of a chronic problem.  Our guys need to go deeper in the count and take smart cuts.  If they get 2 strikes, shorten the swing up a bit and put it in play.  Too many strikeouts with men on.

That has a lot to do with the team's approach. There were some awful ABs late in the game yesterday. If a player is looking to swing on the first pitch at the fastball.....just take the pitch if it's offspeed. Both Rowand and Uribe hit about 10 hoppers on the infield because they swung at first pitch offspeed pitches. I actually am optimistic about Uribe, as he's been taking better swings lately.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Aug 6, 2005 -> 11:06 AM)
With a 206 BA and a 230 OBP at home Uribe can only go up.

The whole team has not hit good all year. If it wasnt for Gouch and Pods we would be in a deep hole, the other guys need to pick it up. Pods and Gouch cant do it all year by themselves.

QUOTE(Soxpranos @ Aug 6, 2005 -> 05:07 PM)
The whole team has not hit good all year. If it wasnt for Gouch and Pods we would be in a deep hole, the other guys need to pick it up. Pods and Gouch cant do it all year by themselves.

Dye carried this team offensively for two months. He's far and away the most underrated offensive player on the Sox this season. The scary thing about the offense right now is that Iguchi, AJP, PK, and Crede have been putting up very good numbers lately. It's not like we have a team full of guys struggling. Lets face it: this isn't a team loaded with offensive talent. We need better execution, as well as some more clutch hitting. Lately, we've had very little clutch hitting.....and even less clutch pitching. Our pitchers are really struggling preventing that big inning which they did so well avoiding earlier in the year.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 6, 2005 -> 11:11 AM)
Dye carried this team offensively for two months.  He's far and away the most underrated offensive  player on the Sox this season.  The scary thing about the offense right now is that Iguchi, AJP, PK, and Crede have been putting up very good numbers lately.  It's not like we have a team full of guys struggling.  Lets face it:  this isn't a team loaded with offensive talent.  We need better execution, as well as some more clutch hitting.  Lately, we've had very little clutch hitting.....and even less clutch pitching.  Our pitchers are really struggling preventing that big inning which they did so well avoiding earlier in the year.

No Doubt Dye has been there for us.

thats why he's on my signature.. Iguchi , Pods and Dye have been are most consitent offensive players, all new guys.

Back to the original post...anyone else think there was a bit of a letdown by the team when we didn't pick up a big name at the trade deadline?

I mean look at what happened to the Cubs when they picked up Nomar or when Houston picked up Beltran. Those teams reacted very well while we are very flat.

Edited by BigSqwert

I think were flat because our team is playing small ball in a long ball park seriosly we only struggle at home. It also could be that there not used to playing in the huge crowds we are getting now a days. Last Pods needs to heat up right away 1 time on base each game in 2 out situations in not cutting it.

Edited by ScottPodRulez22

QUOTE(ScottPodRulez22 @ Aug 6, 2005 -> 12:44 PM)
I think were flat because our team is playing small ball in a long ball park

We've been playing small ball in a HR park all year. Seems like we've been struggling at home only recently. I just think it would have been a nice boost to get a big bat at the deadline.

Edited by BigSqwert

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Aug 6, 2005 -> 12:47 PM)
We've been playing small ball in a HR park all year.  Seems like we've been struggling at home only recently.  I just think it would have been a nice boost to get a big bat at the deadline.

Or this could be that dreaded slump we have ever end of july begining of august that always puts us 7-8 behind the twins and knocks us out of the race. Luckily this year we have an enourmous lead.

Edited by ScottPodRulez22

I think are problem at home stems from the ball flying out of our park. On the road we play more small ball. I know we hit a ton of HR on the road,but it seems to be line shots,like they are trying for a base hit and just happened to get all of it.

I also will say that until 90% of this lineup should be puting a bunt down with a man on 1st or 2nd and no outs. That would be true small ball and if Oz would make the guys start doing it now they would be ready for the playoffs!

QUOTE(ScottPodRulez22 @ Aug 6, 2005 -> 11:44 AM)
I think were flat because our team is playing small ball in a long ball park seriosly we only struggle at home. It also could be that there not used to playing in the huge crowds we are getting now a days. Last Pods needs to heat up right away 1 time on base each game in 2 out situations in not cutting it.

We scored all of our runs on homers last night and are in the top 6 in home runs in the majors.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Aug 6, 2005 -> 11:47 AM)
We've been playing small ball in a HR park all year.  Seems like we've been struggling at home only recently.  I just think it would have been a nice boost to get a big bat at the deadline.

easier said than done.. Kenny tried.