AL Cy Young candidates according to ESPN

CSF

Yes, the Bob Wickman according to Dave Revsine on Sportscenter. :bang

He gave that list to Harold Reynolds. Nevermind that Buehrle fellow, or even that dude who broke his leg (Halladay or somethin'). :rolly

BTW, Harold didn't disappoint and picked Rivera. :headshake

Edited by ChiSoxFan

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Aug 8, 2005 -> 11:08 PM)
I challenge anyone to give me one good reason why Bob Wickman should even be considered for AL Cy Young. Other than the fact that he has a couple more saves than Hermanson and Rivera.

Perhaps it is because Wickman has warriors on his side.

http://www.wickmanswarriors.com/

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Aug 8, 2005 -> 11:08 PM)
I challenge anyone to give me one good reason why Bob Wickman should even be considered for AL Cy Young. Other than the fact that he has a couple more saves than Hermanson and Rivera.

if the cy young is based on attractiveness, then he wins hands down

QUOTE(ChiSoxFan @ Aug 8, 2005 -> 11:03 PM)
Yes, the Bob Wickman according to Dave Revsine on Sportscenter.  :bang

He gave that list to Harold Reynolds.  Nevermind that Buehrle fellow, or even that dude who broke his leg (Halladay or somethin').  :rolly

BTW, Harold didn't disappoint and picked Rivera.  :headshake

Revsine is a Sox fan.... Garland, but no Buehrle?

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Aug 9, 2005 -> 12:08 AM)

^^^^^

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Aug 8, 2005 -> 10:11 PM)
I'm not a real big proponent of closers getting the CY unless they've been otherworldly.

Relievers have their award--Rolaids Relief.

Gagne received the award, amongst controversy, and he was absolutely dominant with a 50+ game save streak which extended the entire season.

I don't care how 'money' Rivera has been, he doesn't deserve the Cy Young. Buehlre and Garland both deserve more consideration than him. It will be an absolute travesty if Rivera wins. Yankees might not even make the playoffs!

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Aug 9, 2005 -> 01:41 AM)
Relievers have their award--Rolaids Relief.

Gagne received the award, amongst controversy, and he was absolutely dominant with a 50+ game save streak which extended the entire season.

I don't care how 'money' Rivera has been, he doesn't deserve the Cy Young. Buehlre and Garland both deserve more consideration than him. It will be an absolute travesty if Rivera wins.  Yankees might not even make the playoffs!

Did Thigpen get the Cy Young the year he broke the save record?? Cause if that doesn't get it for him then no closer should get it IMO. I would have to say that demolishing the old save record by what 15 or so?? That is otherworldly wouldnt you say?

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Aug 8, 2005 -> 11:11 PM)
I'm not a real big proponent of closers getting the CY unless they've been otherworldly.

I agree. It's kind of like rewarding a really good pinch hitter. Someone who performs very well in high pressure situations but isn't playing the rest of the game.

The best was Harold's reason for picking Mariano Riviera. He says he won't pick pick either Buehrle or Garland just because the White Sox are in first. He says it should be given to someone on pitching ability. Fine. But then he goes on to say the reason he picks Mariano is because he is winning ball games for the Yanks and keeping them in contention :bang.

Edited by Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Aug 9, 2005 -> 08:39 AM)
The best was Harold's reason for picking Mariano Riviera. He says he won't pick pick either Buehrle or Garland just because the White Sox are in first. He says it should be given to someone on pitching ability. Fine. But then he goes on to say the reason he picks Mariano is because he is winning ball games for the Yanks and keeping them in contention :bang.

:huh

QUOTE(the People's Champ @ Aug 9, 2005 -> 04:28 AM)
Did Thigpen get the Cy Young the year he broke the save record?? Cause if that doesn't get it for him then no closer should get it IMO. I would have to say that demolishing the old save record by what 15 or so??  That is otherworldly wouldnt you say?

No, he did not get it that year. Only like 9 relief pitchers have earned it in history...2 in the last 15 years...Gagne and the Eck.

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Aug 9, 2005 -> 07:39 AM)

Because Buehrle and Garland haven't done anything whatsoever to keep the Sox in contention or win ballgames for them.

:chair

Relief Pitchers who have won the Cy Young:

AL:

1992 Dennis Eckersley Oakland

1984 Willie Hernandez Detroit

1981 Rollie Fingers Milwaukee

NL:

2003 Eric Gagne Los Angeles

1989 Mark Davis San Diego

1987 Steve Bedrosian Philadelphia

1979 Bruce Sutter Chicago

1974 Mike Marshall Los Angeles

Edited by robinventura23

its kinda early to tell. Sanata won his last year on the strength of his pitching in the second half and same thing with Holliday the year beofre when they should have given it to Estaban Loiza.

i think garland will get it if he holds up, but i personally would like to see Mark get it.

QUOTE(GoSox05 @ Aug 9, 2005 -> 10:20 AM)
its kinda early to tell.  Sanata won his last year on the strength of his pitching in the second half and same thing with Holliday the year beofre when they should have given it to Estaban Loiza.

i think garland will get it if he holds up, but i personally would like to see Mark get it.

I'm amazed you didn't spell any of the names of those pitchers correctly. (except Garland of course)

On Loaiza, he lost the Cy Young because of 1 game...the team desperately needed a win over the Twins to start a series against them, and Manuel sent Loaiza out with a cold when I believe the rest of the staff was on normal rest because of an off day. Loaiza was shelled. He lost the Cy Young race that day. The Sox were swept by the Twins that series, and we fell apart from that moment on.

Edited by Balta1701