Interest in Palmeiro ?

spiderman

QUOTE(Steff @ Aug 10, 2005 -> 09:05 AM)
If Giambi could have.. I think he would have. He's still under gag with the BALCO investigation and upcomming trial. I suspect after it's over he'll tell his side of the story.

I don't doubt that at all honestly. You could see he wanted to come clean, he just couldn't at that time.

QUOTE(Steff @ Aug 10, 2005 -> 05:57 AM)
Giambi didn't go in front of the world and swear with his right hand that he never took steroids... period.

I can't help but root for Giambi (and I hate rooting for anyone on the Yankees) but he handled the entire situation so classy.

I think he is innocent victim of "steriod abuse". What probably happened is someone came in his house while he was sleeping and injected him. s*** it happens all the time. Almost happened to me last week, lucky i woke up and chased the bastard of my house.

The Sox would be retards to not sign Palmario if they had the chance...

I don't care about the media circus... It gets us a big bat in the line up, gets Timo off the team, and gets us someone to even spell Kong at 1st occasionally...

League minimum for the rest of the year they should do it in a heart beat...

Too bad it won't happen though...

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Aug 9, 2005 -> 10:11 AM)
Rafeal Palmeiro is a lying, cheating bastard there is absolutely no way in hell I ever want him anywhere near the White Sox. I hope he never plays in the big leagues again, baseball would be better off.

So what? There's nothing wrong with cheating even if you get caught. I'd take him in a heartbeat. Even without the steroids, he'd still have 3000 hits. You people are too high and mighty. I'm sure you never do anything wrong either.

QUOTE(longshot7 @ Aug 10, 2005 -> 08:41 PM)
So what?  There's nothing wrong with cheating even if you get caught.  I'd take him in a heartbeat.  Even without the steroids, he'd still have 3000 hits.  You people are too high and mighty. I'm sure you never do anything wrong either.

There's obviously something wrong with it if it's illegal don't you think?

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Aug 10, 2005 -> 05:50 PM)
There's obviously something wrong with it if it's illegal don't you think?

Not all steroids are illegal.

and who cares if it is? Like all of us are perfect people who never break the law - never speed, never cheat on our taxes, never drank before turning 21...

What someone does with their own body is their business, not mine.

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Aug 10, 2005 -> 07:11 PM)
The Sox would be retards to not sign Palmario if they had the chance...

I don't care about the media circus... It gets us a big bat in the line up, gets Timo off the team, and gets us someone to even spell Kong at 1st occasionally...

League minimum for the rest of the year they should do it in a heart beat...

Too bad it won't happen though...

Consider this. Palmeiro's numbers early in the season were horrid, when he knew the policy was in effect. Then, after his horrid start, he takes steroids and eventually becomes the Palmeiro of old. I afraid his recovery is a direct result of his injections and since that will no longer be an option for him, that he'll go back to being too old and too slow with the bat to be of any help.

Consider this. Palmeiro's numbers early in the season were horrid, when he knew the policy was in effect. Then, after his horrid start, he takes steroids and eventually becomes the Palmeiro of old. I afraid his recovery is a direct result of his injections and since that will no longer be an option for him, that he'll go back to being too old and too slow with the bat to be of any help.

I agree 100% with this assessment. It's a headache the Sox don't need. Also, people shouldn't be naive about steroids and who is taking them. I wouldn't be suprised if a couple Sox players have taken them in the past or may even be taking them now. Steroids is a vicious cycle. I had a friend who played with a couple organizations; the Mariners, Tigers, Devil Rays and he mentioned the staggering number of guys that were taking steroids (with the Mariners alone he mentioned A-Rod, Edgar Martinez, Buhner...he was a no brainer...) My friend was just a doubles hitter, so despite some small stints in the majors, he was frequently passed because he didn't hit for much power. He finally became so frustrated that he did a cycle in a last ditch effort to get another call-up. He was promptly busted in the minors a couple weeks later and served a suspension. It's hard for players to avoid the temptation. I'm not condoning it, but my friend is a great guy, level headed family man...and the temptation was tough for him to resist.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Aug 10, 2005 -> 10:23 PM)
Consider this.  Palmeiro's numbers early in the season were horrid, when he knew the policy was in effect.  Then, after his horrid start, he takes steroids and eventually becomes the Palmeiro of old.  I afraid his recovery is a direct result of his injections and since that will no longer be an option for him, that he'll go back to being too old and too slow with the bat to be of any help.

It might be a mental thing, but remember - steroids does not help you hit the ball any better.

OK fans, it's your call: Should Sox pursue Palmeiro?

Slugger's baggage might be worth bat, writes Phil Rogers

Your team, whose players were among the first to take a stand against the use of steroids, hasn't needed a 500-homer hitter to build its .655 winning percentage. It certainly hasn't needed a hypocrite who was injecting himself with a wicked-hard steroid while at the same time serving on an anti-steroid task force going by the moniker Zero Tolerance.

Your team also hasn't been to the World Series since 1959, which was before its manager, general manager and most of its fans were born. Your team hasn't won a World Series since 1917. Heck, it has thrown one since it won one.

So, you White Sox fans, tell me: Rafael Palmeiro, thumbs up, thumbs down?

Palmeiro, who is to return to the Baltimore Orioles Thursday after serving his puny 10-day suspension, just might be exactly what general manager Ken Williams has been lusting for since he landed only Geoff Blum before the trade deadline. That is, a difference-making player who comes with enough baggage (or in the case of most players, a bad enough contract) that the other 29 teams might let him fall all the way to the bottom of the waiver wire, with the White Sox occupying the bottom rung.

Given the season-ending ankle injury to Frank Thomas, not to mention the hamstring problem that took Carl Everett out of the lineup for a week, Palmeiro could give the Sox another attractive option in the middle of the lineup. How can you say you don't need him when you are batting A.J. Pierzynski third and have scored 32 runs in 10 games in August?

No longer looking like the guy who had one homer in his first 100 at-bats, Palmeiro was one of Baltimore's hottest hitters when the suspension came down on Aug. 1. He had hit .333 with three homers and nine RBIs in 60 at-bats since the All-Star break.

With a 13-game lead and less than eight weeks remaining in the regular season, and the Sox averaging 4.8 runs per game, the second lowest among the four American League teams currently situated for the playoffs, do you, the hard-core White Sox fan, care that Palmeiro was running baseball's version of jet fuel in his system when he recovered from the slow start?

Sure, it's cheating if Palmeiro hits drug-aided home runs for another team. But if he were to do it for the Sox in October, winning a playoff game or two by reaching those right-field seats at U.S. Cellular Field, could it become the latest showcase for grinding?

I almost can see the ad now. Grinder Rule No. 78: A suspension is just more time to take batting practice and study pitchers' tendencies.

The White Sox certainly have had their share of outlaws, most notably Albert Belle. Everett and Bobby Jenks, both acquired by Williams, had their problems with other teams. So why not Palmeiro?

Wouldn't you rather have him as a DH-first base option than Timo Perez, who just got his RBIs into double figures?

It's an intriguing question that goes to the soul of every fan.

We have seen what players would do to give themselves an extra edge. But what about fans: What would they want their teams to do to give themselves an extra edge?

Williams didn't return a telephone call to talk about Palmeiro. If he had, here's what he would have said, on the record: He's another team's player, so I can't talk about him.

No one is saying the White Sox are pursuing Palmeiro. We're just asking if fans would like them to.

Sam Perlozzo, who recently replaced Lee Mazzilli as the Orioles' manager, says he wants to have Palmeiro down the stretch. Why not? He's trying to get himself a long-term contract as a manager and knows Palmeiro can win him some games.

But if Baltimore's fans turn on Palmeiro—and with Cal Ripken Jr. as their gold standard, how can they not?—the organization might try to move him before the Sept. 1 deadline for postseason eligibility.

The White Sox figure to face some pretty nasty right-handers in the playoffs—possibly Oakland's Rich Harden, Anaheim's Bartolo Colon and Boston's Curt Schilling, to name three. The closers on the possible playoff teams are right-handers who can be nasty.

So let's do it differently this time. You tell me, not the other way around—should the White Sox try to add Palmeiro or leave well enough alone?

:huh

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Aug 11, 2005 -> 01:37 PM)
They do however improve your eye sight, help you recover from injuries better and make you stronger.

They improve your eye sight...?? Where did you get that from? The cornea is not a muscle. It can't be improved by "working out"... :huh

QUOTE(Steff @ Aug 11, 2005 -> 06:09 PM)
They improve your eye sight...?? Where did you get that from? The cornea is not a muscle. It can't be improved by "working out"...  :huh

I was talking about HGH, even though I didn't mention it in my post, which was stupid. Human Growth Hormone builds muscle and strengthens connective tissue, especially when taken in combination with steroids or insulin. Which leads to improved eyesight, especially at night.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Aug 11, 2005 -> 10:51 PM)
I was talking about HGH, even though I didn't mention it in my post, which was stupid. Human Growth Hormone builds muscle and strengthens connective tissue, especially when taken in combination with steroids or insulin. Which leads to improved eyesight, especially at night.

Is there anything I can read on this that you're aware of? Google isn't helping much. I'm really curious because I've never heard such a thing and always been told that short of surgery or wearing contacts there is nothing that can improve eye sight.

I'm trying to even figure out what muscle could be strengthened in order to help.. I suppose the one that controls the lense. But that has nothing to do with the cornea which is what would need to be improved on to have better vision.

Interesting.

Is there anything I can read on this that you're aware of? Google isn't helping much. I'm really curious because I've never heard such a thing and always been told that short of surgery or wearing contacts there is nothing that can improve eye sight.

I'm trying to even figure out what muscle could be strengthened in order to help.. I suppose the one that controls the lense. But that has nothing to do with the cornea which is what would need to be improved on to have better vision.

Interesting.

Cornea doesn't do the actual "processing" of visual stimuli.

Edited by '94WorldChamps

no link from me steff but I've heard the hgh-eye stuff, might have come from Buster olney. Do you guys want to go to the playoffs and have the entire media focus on Raffy Palmeiro instead of the 25 guys we have? What are you saying to the guys in our lockerroom when you bring in a juicer? IF you want a roided up player still, he should be a better one thatn Raffy.

QUOTE(Ozzie Montana @ Aug 14, 2005 -> 11:07 PM)
palmeiro_57820.jpg

Perhaps the Baltimore Orioles would have been better off if someone other than Rafael Palmeiro came to the plate with the outcome hanging in the balance.

The humiliation is worse then the suspension I think. He had some cheers but they will all be boos when he plays away.