"I Hate the White Sox" on Salon.com

RibbieRubarb

QUOTE(Queen Prawn @ Aug 12, 2005 -> 02:48 PM)
I am not sure why people are getting their shorts in a twist because some posters don't think she is this great writer.  She seem decent at what she does, but considering it's her profession, I would hope she would be at least decent.
Come on, you've never seen a movie, loved it, and when your friend said "meh" about it, you went "HOW CAN YOU NOT HAVE LOVED THAT MOVIE???"

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Queen Prawn @ Aug 12, 2005 -> 07:48 PM)
I am not sure why people are getting their shorts in a twist because some posters don't think she is this great writer.  She seem decent at what she does, but considering it's her profession, I would hope she would be at least decent.

Because people on this site are f***ing hypocrites. They are so quick to b**** about everything under the sun and they can't do any better.

Sleepy, no one here said they could do any better, no one is trying. And not you in particular, but most people in this thread bash s*** just because they have no CLUE what it takes to be successful in ANYTHING but sitting here b****ing about what is and is not f***ed up and stupid.

It's just like the game threads, and the posts about the players. No one on this damn board, except the players that are signed up, can play baseball (professionally), but boy, we sure are good at talking about what pieces of s*** they all are.

It's f***ed up. People need to get a real good idea of real life, and stop hiding behind their damn computer screens criticizing everything and anything.

Edited by kapkomet

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Aug 12, 2005 -> 03:08 PM)
Sleepy, no one here said they could do any better, no one is trying. 

I think that's meant for ss2k5. He issued the challenge, not me. :P

I completely agree. Nobody said they could do better nor will they be trying to.

I just want to point out that I was just giving my opinion on the matter, not necessarily bashing. I think saying if you like or don't like something is fair game, but sometimes it does become bashing when it's out-of-line, and that's uncalled for.

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Aug 12, 2005 -> 02:23 PM)
Silly challenge.

I'll make the same challenge to you or anyone that ever  insults any baseball player on here to go out and work your way the Big Leagues and do a better job.

Writing is her job; it's her profession.  Writers get criticized.  If you are in a profession that places you in the public eye and counts on the acceptance of an audience in order to be successful, expect criticism from those that don't like your style of doing what you do.

I reserve my right to not like her batgirl writings.  In my opinion, she's a decent writer, just not when it comes to sports.  She crosses the line from witty to stupid and ridiculous in most of the things I've read.  Again, my opinion.

blogging is not her job, its a hobby. Her blog is what I have been referring to. Its written differently than her actual pieces.

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Aug 12, 2005 -> 03:13 PM)
I think that's meant for ss2k5.  He issued the challenge, not me.    :P

I completely agree.  Nobody said they could do better nor will they be trying to.

I just want to point out that I was just giving my opinion on the matter, not necessarily bashing.  I think saying if you like or don't like something is fair game, but sometimes it does become bashing when it's out-of-line, and that's uncalled for.

And pretty much that is where I draw the line. Some of the problems with this girls writing are insane. Especially when her picture gets posted, and that is used as justification for the opinion that her writing sucks. If you don't like her writing that is fine with me, but the critisisms have been downright ignorant at best. How does how someone looks make them a bad writer?

Like I said, for those who think that what Bat-girl does is so bad, anyone can sign up for a blog. Go ahead and post a link for everyone to see, and be sure to post your picture, so we can all see the sexy beast behind the blog.

If it is so easy to do, and everyone knows how it should be done do it. Go ahead and use the comparision to playing baseball, but this differs in one respect, and that is the ability to be athletic. If you are smart enough to see what is wrong in her writing, you should be smart enough to write something better. In baseball even if you can recognize what they are doing wrong, you might not have the physical ability to do it better, and writing isn't like that. If you have the ability to understand text well enough to tell someone what is wrong with it, why wouldn't you have the ability to write it better?

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Aug 12, 2005 -> 03:08 PM)
Because people on this site are f***ing hypocrites.  They are so quick to b**** about everything under the sun and they can't do any better.

Sleepy, no one here said they could do any better, no one is trying.  And not you in particular, but most people in this thread bash s*** just because they have no CLUE what it takes to be successful in ANYTHING but sitting here b****ing about what is and is not f***ed up and stupid.

It's just like the game threads, and the posts about the players.  No one on this damn board, except the players that are signed up, can play baseball (professionally), but boy, we sure are good at talking about what pieces of s*** they all are.

It's f***ed up.  People need to get a real good idea of real life, and stop hiding behind their damn computer screens criticizing everything and anything.

^ What he said ^ :headbang

To tell the honest truth (at least, totally IMHO) -- and I don't know if this has been said yet -- but if she was a pro-Sox writer, everyone would be praising her. But, since the tables are turned -- since it's the "b**** Sox" rather than the "Twinkies" -- she's a bad writer. To some people.

I find her hilarious and a very talented writer. But again -- that's just my opinion.

I like it...because I think she is getting what she intends to get.

I think she wants to be recognized as a die-hard, casual, over the top type fan. She wants to come across as a however old she is woman with a 12-year old baseball mind(hence the "b****-Sox", hence the legos, hence any other childish thing that appears in her writing). She is intentionally a homeristic fan.

She reminds me of Joe Posnanski, actually. However, I hate Posnanski's writing. The main difference between the 2 is that Posnanski actually believes the way he does, and I don't believe he is actually trying to be as much of a homer as he appears, because he really is that big of a homer. That, and Posnanski's getting paid to do what he does, and his stuff is written as a columnist for an actual newspaper.

Either you appreciate what Ursu does, or you do not. I don't know any other way to put it.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Aug 13, 2005 -> 06:26 AM)
I like it...because I think she is getting what she intends to get.

Either you appreciate what Ursu does, or you do not.  I don't know any other way to put it.

I agree. I also don't think she's a dirty, dumb b****.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Aug 13, 2005 -> 06:35 AM)
I agree.  I also don't think she's a dirty, dumb b****.
I think Steve8473 or whatever his name is is trolling you quite effectively. He even put "tee hee" at the end of his post and you still bit.

QUOTE(sti3 @ Aug 13, 2005 -> 10:06 AM)
I think Steve8473 or whatever his name is is trolling you quite effectively.  He even put "tee hee" at the end of his post and you still bit.

And judging by many of his recent posts, trolling seems like a pretty solid word.

http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?ac...sult_type=posts

QUOTE(sti3 @ Aug 13, 2005 -> 10:06 AM)
I think Steve8473 or whatever his name is is trolling you quite effectively.  He even put "tee hee" at the end of his post and you still bit.

I saw his "tee hee". Quite the feminine expression.