"The" Griffey Rumor

LosMediasBlancas

I've been on the fence about the Griffey trade, for a few reasons.

1. Money allocation. This year we took Carlos Lee's contract and spread the money over Pods, El Duque, and Pierzynski. Lee v. Pods straight up is a bad deal, but Lee for Pods, El Duque, and Pierzynski is the reason we're #1 right now. Next year, do we spend $12.5 million on a DH? Or should we take that money and sign AJ Burnett for the same 3 years we have a declining, injury-prone Griffey? I'd say the money is better invested in top pitching.

2. Chris Young. Could be better in each of the years 2007-13 (when he's ours) than Griffey will be in any year 2005-08.

3. Is Griffey the missing piece this year? In 1999, Griffey laid an egg in the ALDS. 2 for 15, with 1 BB. That was when he was good. I also remember Frank Thomas in 2000, a year he should have been MVP.

On the other hand.

1. We need lefty power. We haven't had a lefty middle-of-the-order guy in who knows how long. And all of our likely AL playoff opponents will not have faced our team with Griffey in it. So it is going to give them a completely different look.

2. It's only money. If we make a serious playoff run, I believe JR will increase the payroll enough to keep Griffey AND pursue Burnett.

3. Chris Young could be great, but how many times has a Sox team won 100 games and had a shot to win the World Series? Only once. In 1917. The last time we won the World Series (or any playoff series).

So what is hanging up this deal? I think it is money. I bet if the Sox took on all of the non-deferred portion of Griffey's deal, that the Reds would say okay. They might even accept something other than Chris Young if we'd pay all of Griffey's $12.5 million/year through 2008.

But then we'd have to give Griffey a carrot to say yes to the deal too, because he wants Spring Training in Florida where I guess he lives. To come to Tucson, we'll have to sweeten the deal.

On balance, I'm now in favor of it. I think Pods going down has made the difference. Indeed, I actually like this Pods-less lineup better than any we've used this year.

Iguchi 2B

Rowand CF

Griffey LF

Konerko 1B

Everett DH

Dye RF

Pierzynski C

Crede 3B

Uribe SS

Make the move Kenny.

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(VAfan @ Aug 15, 2005 -> 02:56 AM)
So what is hanging up this deal?  I think it is money.  I bet if the Sox took on all of the non-deferred portion of Griffey's deal, that the Reds would say okay.  They might even accept something other than Chris Young if we'd pay all of Griffey's $12.5 million/year through 2008. 

The Reds ownership is looking to sell the team. Losing their marquee player doesn't exactly raise the team's value. That's why they didn't make the trade a few weeks ago, and that's why I don't buy any of the new news.

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Aug 14, 2005 -> 09:53 PM)
Apparently turning from the corners of the field causes the problems. I recall this as the rational why Drew wanted to play center for LA and have Bradley in the corner

Bingo, which is why Grif would play CF and DH and not much LF/RF.

QUOTE(VAfan @ Aug 14, 2005 -> 09:56 PM)
I've been on the fence about the Griffey trade, for a few reasons.

1.  Money allocation.  This year we took Carlos Lee's contract and spread the money over Pods, El Duque, and Pierzynski.  Lee v. Pods straight up is a bad deal, but Lee for Pods, El Duque, and Pierzynski is the reason we're #1 right now.  Next year, do we spend $12.5 million on a DH?  Or should we take that money and sign AJ Burnett for the same 3 years we have a declining, injury-prone Griffey?  I'd say the money is better invested in top pitching. 

2.  Chris Young.  Could be better in each of the years 2007-13 (when he's ours) than Griffey will be in any year 2005-08. 

3.  Is Griffey the missing piece this year?  In 1999, Griffey laid an egg in the ALDS.  2 for 15, with 1 BB.  That was when he was good.  I also remember Frank Thomas in 2000, a year he should have been MVP. 

On the other hand.

1.  We need lefty power.  We haven't had a lefty middle-of-the-order guy in who knows how long.  And all of our likely AL playoff opponents will not have faced our team with Griffey in it.  So it is going to give them a completely different look.

2.  It's only money.  If we make a serious playoff run, I believe JR will increase the payroll enough to keep Griffey AND pursue Burnett. 

3.  Chris Young could be great, but how many times has a Sox team won 100 games and had a shot to win the World Series?  Only once.  In 1917.  The last time we won the World Series (or any playoff series).

So what is hanging up this deal?  I think it is money.  I bet if the Sox took on all of the non-deferred portion of Griffey's deal, that the Reds would say okay.  They might even accept something other than Chris Young if we'd pay all of Griffey's $12.5 million/year through 2008. 

But then we'd have to give Griffey a carrot to say yes to the deal too, because he wants Spring Training in Florida where I guess he lives.  To come to Tucson, we'll have to sweeten the deal. 

On balance, I'm now in favor of it.  I think Pods going down has made the difference.  Indeed, I actually like this Pods-less lineup better than any we've used this year.

Iguchi 2B

Rowand CF

Griffey LF

Konerko 1B

Everett DH

Dye RF

Pierzynski C

Crede 3B

Uribe SS

Make the move Kenny.

On the fence? You've hated the Griffey rumors more than anyone. Now all of a sudden you want him? what about the great Chris Young who will be better than Griffey in 4 years?

QUOTE(WSFAN35 @ Aug 15, 2005 -> 03:01 AM)
Neither does having a $16 million a year player.

Yeah, since the Reds have so many other starts that can attract fans? I can see it now " Come one, come all....come see Eric Milton make a run at the most homers allowed in a season!"

I'm surprised this has not been posted:

On Sportscenter before the Cards game they said Griffey had passed through waivers and the Sox and Reds were still working on a deal, although Griffey had not been approached about waiving his no-trade clause yet.

QUOTE(bigred3535 @ Aug 14, 2005 -> 10:05 PM)

On Sportscenter before the Cards game they said Griffey had passed through waivers and the Sox and Reds were still working on a deal, although Griffey had not been approached about waiving his no-trade clause yet.

Maybe cuz it's non-news?

QUOTE(bigred3535 @ Aug 15, 2005 -> 03:05 AM)

Was this what Gammons said? If so, it didn't seem like he had any inside information regarding a deal.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 14, 2005 -> 08:55 PM)
Everett at less than 100 pct in the outfield is a recipe for disaster or an injury.  If he does play more than a few games in the outfield while he's still not 100 pct., then we might not have to worry about who would play in the playoffs.

Taking Rowand out of a GG position and sticking in a 35 year old injury plagued veteran who's bat would do wonders for our team, is recipe for disaster. Especially when that 35 year old veteran is your best hitter and owed a buttload of money over the next 25 years.

QUOTE(sircaffey @ Aug 15, 2005 -> 03:06 AM)
Taking Rowand out of a GG position and sticking in a 35 year old injury plagued veteran who's bat would do wonders for our team, is recipe for disaster.  Especially when that 35 year old veteran is your best hitter and owed a buttload of money over the next 25 years.

Trust me, I agree with you. However, I don't think there's a chance in hell KG Jr. would play LF. Even Ozzie was considering playing Rowand in LF before the season.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 14, 2005 -> 09:08 PM)
Trust me, I agree with you.  However, I don't think there's a chance in hell KG Jr. would play LF.  Even Ozzie was considering playing Rowand in LF before the season.

So you think Ozzie will bounce Aaron around all 3 OF positions after what Ozzie has seen out of Aaron in CF and all the praise he's given him? Also, I don't know if Ozzie was expecting Aaron to be this good in CF before the season.

Edited by sircaffey

QUOTE(spiderman @ Aug 14, 2005 -> 10:12 PM)
Apparently, Bruce Levine will have some 'new' info at about 10:20 PM.

My guess is that he'll mention Griffey Jr. cleared waivers, and that the Sox are open to talking with the Reds, especially since Pods will be placed on IR.

Yeah, that sounds about right.

QUOTE(scotty22hotty @ Aug 14, 2005 -> 09:13 PM)
Ozzie doesn't want Jr.,

We have a set OF... With Jr. in LF or CF, this team becomes weaker.

This is why we got Pods... to get a true leadoff man and Carl at DH.

Lee>Jr.

This trade would be pointless...

We need pitching!

Jr>>>>Carl

That's the comparison you should be making...

Edited by sircaffey

QUOTE(scotty22hotty @ Aug 14, 2005 -> 10:13 PM)
Ozzie doesn't want Jr.,

We have a set OF... With Jr. in LF or CF, this team becomes weaker.

This is why we got Pods... to get a true leadoff man and Carl at DH.

Lee>Jr.

This trade would be pointless...

We need pitching!

Actually you're dead wrong. We need a lefty power bat in the middle of the lineup. Griff>>>Pods defensively.

Griff>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Carl overall

Griffey would be a huge pickup for this team, Pods might go on the DL, when he does play he will leadoff, Griffey will not affect Pods. Just about the only guy Griff would take ABs from would be Carl, which is a good thing.

QUOTE(GBlum27 @ Aug 15, 2005 -> 03:18 AM)
GRIFFEY CLEARED WAIVERS

THANKS BRUCE YOU ARE SO INSIGHTFUL

I know some people defend Levine on this site, but he's one of the worst "inside" guys in baseball. I can't remember the last time he was on top of a trade rumor.